B-29 Crewman's Handbook

reuscher

Hello All,

I picked up this B-29 Crewman's book recently and would like to learn more about it. I thought it was neat - it had a silk map with it, one side Tokyo and the other Osaka!

I noticed the construction of this book was unusual - it seems printed by some sort to teletype process where you can feel braille on the oppostie side of the page. Note it's printed on only one side of the page. Also, the illustrations were pasted to the page by hand. Some picutres are even newspaper. Some info is handwritten. It seems oddly put together for the time period and purpose.

It seems the item was issued by Boeing and not an Army publication.

Is this a run of the mill item - are these seen often?

There is a name written in the book but I haven't had any luck finding anything about him with the resources I have access to. Also, there is an airplane number (224441-WI) associated with this book, so I'm assuming this was issued with a particular plane. It would be neat to find out more about the plane or person and I'm thinking the only way is the airplane number. But, my feeling is also likely there's nothing to be found out without a tail number.

I haven't looked at Boeing's website yet to see what resources they may have and thought I'd start here first. Does anyone know if there's anything that can be found out with an airplane number?

Or, if anyone has any comments at all about this type of book, that would be cool too!

Hopefully the picutures capture the jist.

Thanks for any comments.

CR :)

post-772-1318483968.jpg

post-772-1318484034.jpg

post-772-1318484081.jpg

Johnny Signor

Could it possibly be a "prototype" manual for getting ready to go to the printing shop ???????????

Just and idea .................................., seeing as the 20th AAF had most if not all the B-29's you should try a 20th AAF site and see what replies you get, or this site and list it under the 20th AAF , armyairforces.com

Johnny