17th - 82nd Airborne Glider grouping

manayunkman

Here we go again. I was having lunch at a restaurant one day when I see a bunch of ladies getting out of a car and come in. They are put in the booth across from my table. I have no trouble approaching people and started a conversation with them. Soon I was sitting at their table with them having a good old time. I left them with several phone numbers. I never called the people who this group came from but found out where they lived and dropped by one day. I left with this grouping. The next day he calls me back and I got his Purple Heart It belonged to Paul Antelitano of the 17th Airborne 194th Glider Infantry. Since he didn't have enough points to get home he was put into the 82nd Airborne 325th Glider Infantry. He was wounded in Germany by an 88 tree burst but managed to stay with his unit. Later in Germany he was present when they captured a German Air Force General. That is where the Nazi Generals eagle came from. He told me that he was jump qualified but elected to go into the glider troops. The bright yellow/green backing to the group is from his recognition scarf. There is a newspaper article of a meeting he had with General Gavin.

post-51189-1318470199.jpg

Yes the skull thing. They made them and wore them with a scarf like a bolo. They got scrap aluminum and melted it down then poured it into a cast. It had some significance but he no longer remembered what that was.

Here are the front and back

post-51189-1318471293.jpg

post-51189-1318471320.jpg

Here is the newspaper article. Part of it is missing but you can still get the jist of the story. And photos. In the real photo post card Antelitano is the shorter of the 2 men. Also pictured are a pair of his dog tags.

post-51189-1318471821.jpg

post-51189-1318471849.jpg

post-51189-1318471887.jpg

Antelitano told me that early on they did not have Glider Wings so they used the miniature Glider Pilot Wings. Here are some more photos.

post-51189-1318472657.jpg

post-51189-1318472682.jpg

post-51189-1318472712.jpg

What a group!!!.. :w00t: ..that skull is awesome!...... :thumbsup: ........mike

Anyone know what the skull is for ?

i dont know, but i do know that the 82nd 504th used a similar skull on the sides of their helmets during the war, post war/occupation era they changed to their DUI type of design of a blue shield with flaming sword, dont know if theres a connection there..... :think: .....mike

Antelitano said he was jump qualified but elected to be a glider man. Here are a pair of jump wings British made one with a combat jump star. He had no idea how he got that one because he never made a combat jump.

post-51189-1318474206.jpg

post-51189-1318474238.jpg

Last but not least are the pair of Newcome Sterling 325th Glider Infantry DIs on their original cards. Kind of crispy don't ya think ?

post-51189-1318474555.jpg

post-51189-1318474598.jpg

Holy crap!...those 325th DIs are sweet!...can we see a close-up of that pic of the troopers near the rail car when you get a chance!?....thanks....mike :thumbsup:

Holy crap!...those 325th DIs are sweet!...can we see a close-up of that pic of the troopers near the rail car when you get a chance!?....thanks....mike :thumbsup:

Rail photos coming right up !!

Have a similiar group to a local 17th man.He also ended the war with the 325 GIR.He was both glider and parachute qualified.I have both of his certificates of training.He also wore a star on his jump wings.His only assault was Varsity and he went in with the 194th in a glder and was wounded during the drop.I can only speculate about the star on his wings.I think he opted to place the star on the jump wings as he was always more proud of them and reffered to his service as a Paratrooper first.

Have a similiar group to a local 17th man.He also ended the war with the 325 GIR.He was both glider and parachute qualified.I have both of his certificates of training.He also wore a star on his jump wings.His only assault was Varsity and he went in with the 194th in a glder and was wounded during the drop.I can only speculate about the star on his wings.I think he opted to place the star on the jump wings as he was always more proud of them and reffered to his service as a Paratrooper first.

I wonder if our guys knew each other. My guy had no idea what the star even meant until I told him. Sure would like to see your group :)

By the way the PH has a sloted Brooch and is numbered. Still would like to know what the Free French paratrooper is for ?

Patchcollector

Wow...Super sweet stuff M! :bravo: That Free French Chute is interesting.Maybe it is their version of a "Caterpillar Club" badge,given to rescued troops? :think:

By the way the PH has a sloted Brooch and is numbered. Still would like to know what the Free French paratrooper is for ?

The "Free French" parachute pin is simply a piece of sweetheart jewelry. They are relatively common, yet USUALLY when you see them on a website, someone calls them rare, Free French Parachute Badge and wants a couple hundred bucks for them.

I do wonder whether the veteran truly volunteered to go to a glider unit or whether he was simply assigned. By the end of the war, there were large numbers of qualified paratroopers who were going to the airborne divisions as replacements. Many of the open slots were in the glider units and paratroopers ended up in gliders. The 325th GIR actually had entire companies of parachute qualified troopers and had enough paratroopers at the end of the war that they could have fielded an entire battalion of jumpers.

As for the Newcome sterling DI's, those are the most common of the WWII DI's, but as they are sterling, they are actively sought after.

The trooper in the jump jacket is pretty darned cool as it is rare to find 17th Airborne troopers in combat with the 17th A/B SSI on their jackets. I double dog dare somebody to find a vintage photo of one sewn to a M1943 field jacket at Wessel.

This is a super little group!

Allan

This sure is one Fantastic little Grouping its a real keeper for your collection

and thanks for sharing it with us very impressive Grouping you have got there Very Nice to have :thumbsup:

The "Free French" parachute pin is simply a piece of sweetheart jewelry. They are relatively common, yet USUALLY when you see them on a website, someone calls them rare, Free French Parachute Badge and wants a couple hundred bucks for them.

I do wonder whether the veteran truly volunteered to go to a glider unit or whether he was simply assigned. By the end of the war, there were large numbers of qualified paratroopers who were going to the airborne divisions as replacements. Many of the open slots were in the glider units and paratroopers ended up in gliders. The 325th GIR actually had entire companies of parachute qualified troopers and had enough paratroopers at the end of the war that they could have fielded an entire battalion of jumpers.

As for the Newcome sterling DI's, those are the most common of the WWII DI's, but as they are sterling, they are actively sought after.

The trooper in the jump jacket is pretty darned cool as it is rare to find 17th Airborne troopers in combat with the 17th A/B SSI on their jackets. I double dog dare somebody to find a vintage photo of one sewn to a M1943 field jacket at Wessel.

This is a super little group!

Allan

I have seen several photos which show 17th AB SSI being worn during Varsity. I will try my best to post photos here.

GREAT grouping by the way! :thumbsup:

I have seen several photos which show 17th AB SSI being worn during Varsity. I will try my best to post photos here.

GREAT grouping by the way! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see the SSI photos as I have only ever found one. In the photo, there were two soldiers, one was wearing a field jacket with no SSI and the other guy was wearing an OD wool shirt with SSI. There was none on his field jacket. I have heard from many, many 17th A/B veterans that MG Miley, the division commander ordered that no SSI would be worn on Varsity. I can't wait to see the photos!

Allan