Navy MOPIC

Patrick.

Hello all,

as i travel along my Vietnam era collecting path, i try to remain focused on my main collecting interests.

At times this can prove difficult....

Especially when uniform items such as this turn up.

I am not by nature a Naval collector,but a combination of an unusual and seldom seen unit, and some superb Vietnamese made insignia all but compelled me to purchase this shirt.

The shirt itself is a lightweight Poplin example, worn by George G Husted during his tour with the Armed Forces Combat Motion Picture Team (MOPIC) during his tour during 1967-68.

The baseball cap is Navy marked, and the holster is standard US issue but has a locally made modification comprising the addition of two additional .45 magazine cells to the front.

post-109-1195766019.jpg

Here is a further example of why the locally made items attract me.

With Vietnamese made insignias you can veer from the crude to the magnificent.

I find the detailing to this superb. Note the detail to the feathers and the eye.

Patrick.

post-109-1195766929.jpg

hochiminhtrail

Hy patrick

great shirt you have there, can you give some more infos on Mopic were there part of stars and Stripes or what was their duty in VN, i love navy stuff to especially PBR s.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex,

i am actually in the process of doing some research on the unit.

I do know that this particular veteran was tasked with recording the building of the new modern infrastructure (schools,hospitals etc) the US was funding in Vietnam as part of a mobile "hearts and minds" campaign in the province he was stationed.

These films and photographs were then shown in villages which had little contact with the world outside their own gates.

All in an attempt to make the peasant class connect with a government in Saigon that at best was indifferent to them and at worst was quite callous in its treatment of them.

Patrick.

hochiminhtrail

well sound more like psy ops then stars and stripes.

i really love that shirt, with the unit patch,

great find Patrick.

Alex

Hi Alex,

i am actually in the process of doing some research on the unit.

I do know that this particular veteran was tasked with recording the building of the new modern infrastructure (schools,hospitals etc) the US was funding in Vietnam as part of a mobile "hearts and minds" campaign in the province he was stationed.

These films and photographs were then shown in villages which had little contact with the world outside their own gates.

All in an attempt to make the peasant class connect with a government in Saigon that at best was indifferent to them and at worst was quite callous in its treatment of them.

Patrick.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

from memory i cannot recall any obvious labels....i will pull it from the collection later this week and post results. It is a very,very lightweight fabric.

Nice unusual piece of kit! Would you say the extra mag pouches on the shoulder rig are a field expedient? Any chance of some closer shots of it sometime?

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Ian,

i have the fortune of having two modified examples.

The other is a single cell and a well made addition to the holster with good quality leather. This example has all the crude charm that locally sourced items can display at times. It is very much at the cheap end of the spectrum and 'expedient' is entirely the correct term!

Should a window present itself i will attempt a photo or two.