D Bail Para Helmet

hawkdriver

I was told to post my recent find here for you all to look over and pick apart. Here is what I know about the helmet. The guy that originally had the helmet was supposedly the original owner, sold it to a collector back in the early 70's This collector died last year, but before he did, the guy I picked it up from got to talk to him about it. After his death, the guy I bought it from has been liquidating his collection and this was his main piece. The guy I bought it from was a WWII infantry guy, so he is aware of what this is, but didn't know anything specific about it.

Here is what I know, the one D bail apparently came off and was welded back in place. It is obviously a Inland liner, the chin cup is missing, but from what I gather, most paratroopers dumped it and used the steel pot straps.

I open it up to dissection, tell me what you think of this, any problems, if you need any other pictures, just tell me what you need and I will take. it.

6igt5c.jpg

2a7cxet.jpg

20qgpoj.jpg

2wlr775.jpg

2e24j0l.jpg

33cz0b7.jpg

25gbiaw.jpg

2usimc5.jpg

Great helmet. Looks like one of the D rings suffered a repair ? Any chance you could take close up pics of the buckles on the liner ?

Thanks

M

Steve

Nice score

Can you tell if the snaps that secure the liner are nickle plated ??Do they look like this ;

Yes, they are nickle, just like those.

Great helmet. Looks like one of the D rings suffered a repair ? Any chance you could take close up pics of the buckles on the liner ?

Thanks

M

Here you go

t047l4.jpg

5ujsk2.jpg

117u2yg.jpg

2r5x753.jpg

That's first run substitution buckle right? Anyone?

Everything looks like it should be: nice early war chin strap fasteners, nice shuttle loom weave, ...

No red flags in my eyes. I'm so jealous right now :D:mellow:

Paul Reijnders

Congrats with this great M-2 set

Realy a very nice an rare para helmet and super condition liner

Regards , Paul

That's first run substitution buckle right? Anyone?

Everything looks like it should be: nice early war chin strap fasteners, nice shuttle loom weave, ...

No red flags in my eyes. I'm so jealous right now :D:mellow:

Is there anyone who can tell me the difference in the style buckle shown on this liner and the one I have posted ? And any answer to the above question and what is a " first run substitution buckle " ?

post-51189-1318446573.jpg

Is there anyone who can tell me the difference in the style buckle shown on this liner and the one I have posted ?

Your picture shows a buckle from a Westinghouse airborne liner.

Your picture shows a buckle from a Westinghouse airborne liner.

So different liner manufactures made different liner buckles ? Are there other styles of buckle for airborne liners ?

So different liner manufactures made different liner buckles ? Are there other styles of buckle for airborne liners ?

Yes, 3 types of buckles are found on original wwII airborne liners, being:

first run substitution type: 5/8" center bar, parkerized finish or equal, malleable iron or steel

second run: same but brass or copper plated

third run: Westinghouse type, baked green enamel finish (to match the webbing).

2 first types are found on Hawley, St-Clair and Inland liners (Inland dropped out in '43).

Third type buckles are exclusively found on Westinghouse liners.

Cheers

PS: post war airborne liner buckles are easily distinguished from wwII buckles as they are brass wire buckles in a smaller size

• 4 years later...

This is a discussion thread only. I have removed posts about the sale of this helmet.

I have no way of knowing who or how it was repaired, it was already that way when the previous owner got it. He had the helmet for 15 years before I picked it up five years ago.