Scissor ID Help Needed

hirsca

I found these scissors in a box of miscellaneous small military items at an estate sale. Strange patterns on the handles. Ever see this type in a first aid kit or "housewife" kit? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1318370754.jpg

craig_pickrall

Here are some examples. The shape of yours is most like the one in the first photo.

post-5-1318376042.jpg

post-5-1318376053.jpg

post-5-1318376063.jpg

post-5-1318376073.jpg

Here are some examples. The shape of yours is most like the one in the first photo.

post-5-1318376042.jpg

post-5-1318376053.jpg

post-5-1318376063.jpg

post-5-1318376073.jpg

Thanks c_p. I couldn't make out any pattern on the scissor handles on the first and last pics. Do they have patterns similar to mine? Thanks, Al.

craig_pickrall

I'm not sure if there is any pattern on them. They are buried deep and I am getting ready to go out of town. I will try to dig them out and see what they are like upon my return. Maybe someone else can post some before then.

I have two pair similiar to yours....one in stainless and one blued. Both were found in a First Aid Kit box, in the box of "Tourniquet, forceps, scissors", wrapped in brown paper. I'm pretty sure scissors from any and all companies were used at the time to fill the need. 1, 2, and 4 are stainless. The flash made 1 and 4 look darker. 3 is blued steel.

post-4556-1318453981.jpg

Under my fancy "Use a flashlight so the flash won't go off" techique, you can see the patterns on 3 and 4.

Doc

The one on the left looks like a pattern match. I'll mark them as "possible" 1st Aid Kit scissors.

Thanks much DocRick.

The one on the left looks like a pattern match. I'll mark them as "possible" 1st Aid Kit scissors.

Thanks much DocRick.

Not sure about the "possible" part. If a Willy's Jeep was made but never made it into military service at the end of the war and was sold to a farmer, 60 years later is it not still a military jeep to a collector?????? If you found it in a box of military stuff, I would hazard to say that it was a surviving part of a discarded sewing kit or first aid kit.

Not sure about the "possible" part. If a Willy's Jeep was made but never made it into military service at the end of the war and was sold to a farmer, 60 years later is it not still a military jeep to a collector?????? If you found it in a box of military stuff, I would hazard to say that it was a surviving part of a discarded sewing kit or first aid kit.

I defer to DocRick. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone. They will go into the granddaughters' craft supplies at our house. Thanks again DocRick.

Not quite sure my response was clear. I would use them in a military first aid kit or sewing kit if I had a spot to fill. They certain look the same as some of mine (which I took from a military first aid kit), and I've seen quite a few different kinds. During the early days of our mobilization for WWII, the government took everything and anything to fill the needs of the military. Post war, many GI's kept things they thought would be useful and pitched the rest. I would say these scissors fit the above catagory.

Doc Rick