Red Cross Uniform assistance needed

cutiger83

I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts. I have been comparing this uniform to the ones in my book "Dressed For Duty". At first I thought this was WWII vintage but a friend on here said he thinks it might be WWI. After looking in the book, I think he might be right. Since the patch on this cap is square, I believe that dates it to WWI. I believe the round patches were found on WWII uniforms but I am not sure.

Is this a WWI or WWII Red Cross uniform? Along with the cap, there are two of these all white uniforms with the blue shoulder tabs and cuffs. There are two all white short sleeve dresses with no coloring.

Thank you for any assitance. If you need better pictures, please let me know.....Kat

The uniform: The Navy blue shoulder tabs are there. Just can't see them in this picture

P1000857.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Can't help you - not sure how often forum Mod "cwnorma" checks in each week. If you don't see comment from him soon, send him a PM, as he certainly seems to know allot about these period uniforms.

Can't help you - not sure how often forum Mod "cwnorma" checks in each week. If you don't see comment from him soon, send him a PM, as he certainly seems to know allot about these period uniforms.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Great Advise, D

I have a WWII and post war Red Cross uniform in my collection. I have the same hat and believe it to be WWII but the dress is different then my 2

That is a WWII uniform. The Red Cross cap & pocket patches I have seen are all square, even on WWII uniforms.

A WWI ARC uniform would be floor or ankle length with no colored epaulets or cuffs, and the cap is also plain white with a much different patch. Here is a 1917 ARC Production Corps photo:

http://www.ghmchs.org/thisweek/photo-listi...es/RedCross.jpg

The dark blue epaulets & cuffs indicate Production Corps. The white dresses were an indoor work dress worn by ARC volunteers. There were several different colors indicating area of service (yellow was staff assistance, medium blue was canteen corps, etc.), and the colors of the tabs & cuffs would be switched out depending on the area the volunteer worked in.

There were 2 styles of hat, a "coif" style (what you have), similar to a nurse's type hat, and also one that had a longer fabric veil on the back. Sometimes the entire hat was white, and sometimes the rear veil or coif fabric would be colored (as yours is).

Hope this helps!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sorry all, Been very busy of late.

ftworthgal is of course correct. It is a WW2 era Red Cross Volunteer.

Best wishes.

Chris