WW1 Nurse Outfit? Help!

1perazzi

I believe this to be a WW1 Nurse uniform but seems the hat and pins are different than what few I've seen. It came with a jacket,skirt,hat,cape and fold up clothes suitcase. Any ideas? also if someone would mind maybe a PM with what it may be worth? I never ask that and its not for sale but this is something I really dont have a clue on. Thanks Mike

post-5790-1318338424.jpg

post-5790-1318338436.jpg

OH Thanks. So would this be a student or teacher? and would this be fairly hard to find as opposed to the Army Nurse pins ? Thanks Mike

Well...not being an expert on the WW1 Nurse Corps, I'd say probably an officer due to the officer-style collar brass, even though there's no rank insignia. I think in WW2 every nurse was automatically a 2nd Lt., minimum, so by definition all nurses were officers. Same in WW1 maybe? :think:

I cannot recall ever seeing the ANC insignia with the lamp of knowledge -- not sure it was authorized, but it has to be rare. I don't think Emerson lists it.

G

I cannot recall ever seeing the ANC insignia with the lamp of knowledge -- not sure it was authorized, but it has to be rare. I don't think Emerson lists it.

G

Gil...Emerson actually does illustrate it.

Gil...Emerson actually does illustrate it.

I happen to have my "Dressed for Duty" book here with me. This is what it says in the book:

"In 1918 army nursing students wore a bronze 'U.S.' insigne with a caduceus on each side of the standing collar of the outdoor uniform blouse. Bronze Army School of Nursing caducei exhibited the 'lamp of knowledge' emblem just below the wings and were worn just behind the 'U.S.' insigne. The insignia color was changed to gold, gilt, or gildine finishes in 1923."

Edit to add: The book also shows a picture of this insignia. The picture is attributed to a museum at Ft Sam Houston.

I hope this helps....Kat

Wow.

Name?

What I can see...

H for sure. O or A. L. E. Y.

Haley, or Holey

S. h. r. (note the little hook, looks like a r) i. n. e. d.

Shrined

Haley/Holey Shrined.

Sorry, not much to work with and doesn't sound sensical to me. Maybe it IS 'Hole Shined' or something LOL

As has been pointed out above, this is the insignia and uniform for a WW1 era nursing cadet attending the Army School of Nursing at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington DC. It is a very scarce uniform. Far more scarce than an Army Nurses uniform. Seldom seen as they were seldom kept. It was only worn for a very brief period during WW1.

Your nurse was likely in training when the war ended. After a certain point, the Army did not need any more nurses and graduates were "discharged" back to civilian life.

Very nice!

Chris

Well...not being an expert on the WW1 Nurse Corps, I'd say probably an officer due to the officer-style collar brass, even though there's no rank insignia. I think in WW2 every nurse was automatically a 2nd Lt., minimum, so by definition all nurses were officers. Same in WW1 maybe? :think:

This is a uniform for a student at the Army School of Nursing at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

During WW1 Nurses wore no rank, but were considered to be "officers" in status. The woman who wore this would have been considered approximately a "cadet" until she graduated.