A-36A nose emblem ID help.......................

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

I am seeking help with an emblem on the nose cowl area below stacks of an A-36A serial Number 283721 or 42-83721, the aircraft was flown into the Cal-Aero field from Buckley Field ,Colorado in March of 1945 and was a silver aircraft, the emblem in question is on a round ringed background and has a winged 50 caliber bullet over snow capped mountians .

If you know anything of this emblem please contact me, I have been trying to nail down what unit/school/base etc this emblem is for some time now and would really like to finally put it into my "ID'd album, thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Johnny Signor

No ,sorry , I have seen the emblem in color on a site somewhere, amybe this one, but it is a simple design, a round background with outer "edge" rings , inside it is the horizontally placed 50 caliber bullet with large upswept wings coming from top center of the 50 caliber round , behind the bullet are quite a few snow capped mountians scattered around.

The colors were yelow/gold for the bullet/wings detailed black , mountains are a medium dark blue with white tops,the background and lower parts of the mountains are black and the outer border rings are yellow seperated with thin black lines , the bullet and it's wings are highlighted lighte yellowish whiteand overall detailed thin black .

The photo I saw of the A-36A was in a recent issue magazine on the shelf right now , I think it was an Air classic special issue type something like that , i should have wrote the issue/vol down (duhhhhh )

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

I did a bit of net search on this emblem, I have found that there was an Armorer school #2 there in Colorado that trained Bomber pilots out of Lowry and the other field at Bucklet trained the fighter guys and ground crew for fighters , so this may be the tie in for a photo of a jacket I've seen with the emblem , the name "Pete" and a 709th BG emblem and on it's back the name "Barbara Jane" and the also the photo of the two A-36's I've seen with the emblem on thier nose cowls .

Now to find a photo/conatct that can tie it all together for the "school #2" emblem if it matches the design I have !

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Here's the magazine issue I saw the one photo of the A-36 , "Mustangs" winter2011 Vol 30 Number#7 page 40 . it's on the book stands now , or at least at Barnes and Nobles .

Johnny

Cobrahistorian

Hey Johnny,

Just got back from a week at my unit, so I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Looks like you're hot on the trail! I'll see if I can find anything on this end.

Jon

Johnny Signor

Yeah , I always enjoy the "Hunt" :D and hope that you can find something more substantial on this one too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Wow , I'm surprised no one so far has come up with an ID or possible lead on this one, I thought by now all the people in the "Know" would have nailed it !

Oh well , maybe it'll evetually be recognised by someone, we can only hope ............................................

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Jeepers, still nothing, anyone have any back issues/current ones of Insignia Detective that this one may be shown in????????????????

I sure wish I could get this one ID'd , I know it has to be of some unit as I've seen it in both patch form and used on at least 3 different aircraft , come on guys , there's got to be someone out there on the forum that has come across this one before.........................................

Johnny