500th Bomb Squadron Pilot grouping

manayunkman

This small squadron patch grouping came directly from Mr. Zimmerman of Shiremanstown, Pa. I met Mr. Zimmerman by accident one day. I was actually looking for another house when I knocked on his door. He directed me to one of his neighbors but before I left I asked him if he had ever served in the armed forces. He told me he had been a pilot in WW2 but was not ready to sell anything. So I gave him my card. He called me 12 years later and I bought this group. The patches are both 500th BS patches. The Flying Studs, with the horses appendage, was considered too riske and was changed to Rough Raiders. Hope you enjoy it

M

post-51189-1318308379.jpg

post-51189-1318308404.jpg

post-51189-1318308427.jpg

This small squadron patch grouping came directly from Mr. Zimmerman of Shiremanstown, Pa. I met Mr. Zimmerman by accident one day. I was actually looking for another house when I knocked on his door. He directed me to one of his neighbors but before I left I asked him if he had ever served in the armed forces. He told me he had been a pilot in WW2 but was not ready to sell anything. So I gave him my card. He called me 12 years later and I bought this group. The patches are both 500th BS patches. The Flying Studs, with the horses appendage, was considered too riske and was changed to Rough Raiders. Hope you enjoy it

M

Very nice collection!

A couple of trivia questions;

a.] Do have any idea how long that 'Flying Studs' insignia was around?

b.) Can you make out any tactical markings on the B-25 Mitchell photo?

Thanks,

Bob

Johnny Signor

Are you sure of your iformation from the veteran on the "Flying Studs" patch , I only ask this as the emblem is identical other than the title for the 87th Bombardment Squadron of the 46th Bombardment Group , colors and emblem .

Unless they used the same emblem , they are the same design .

Just an observation.

Johnny

This is a b&w copy of the insignia of the 87thBS that Johnny mentioned.

The similarities are apparent.

It was approved for use by the 87thBS(L) 0n 26 Aug 1942.

Bob

post-6249-1318344498.jpg

The 87th insignia was used later in the 80s when the unit was reactivated as a Tactical Missile Sq. at RAF Molesworth. The offending appendage is not on the patch, otherwise it's the same design.

Randy

This is what makes this hobby so interesting. I have often gotten misinformation from vets and this certainly appears to be the case here too. Though the emblem is very similar and almost identical there are some differences. As you mentioned the "Motto" does not seem to be attached to the 87th. I have been searching the web all morning and can not find any reference of the "Motto" being attached to this unit. What photos I have found of the 87th patch are similar but different as far as the color scheme and placement of the colors is concerned. The 87th has 2 shades of red where the "Flying Studs" has only one shade of bright red surrounded by white. The 87th has a center color that is deep red or brownish maroon surrounded by red. But color scheme is not enough because artistic license often comes into play. Of course the " appendage" is another difference. None of the 87th animals are so well endowed as the " Flying Studs". As a matter of fact they are either mares or they have been gelded. Ouch. Finally Mr Zimmerman only flew B-25's. He trained in the US on B-25's. I have posted 2 photos of planes that he trained with. The 87th was an A-20 Havoc training unit and did some Sub searching as well. Zimmerman also told told me that the "Flying Studs" were very short lived. I have also found reference on line that "Rough Raiders" is the second pattern emblem for the 500th BS but no reference is given to the first pattern. And in addition I could not find "Flying Studs" as being attached to 500th BS in any way. So at this point nothing is concluded at least in my mind. Is there anyone else who could shed light on this subject ? I would love to get to the bottom of this.

M

post-51189-1318350687.jpg

post-51189-1318350713.jpg

Thanks to all that have replied so far. I especially thank those of you who enjoy the hunt story. This aspect of collecting is perhaps the biggest thrill for me. I will continue to post groupings and the stories of how I came upon them.

Thanks to all.

M

Tondelayo was in that outfit. I flew on her "reincarnation" owned by the Collings Foundation back in 2007. Definitely a good use for my $300 bucks.

Patchcollector

M

Sweet group!Judging from all of your posts,you have quite an impressive collection M!Keep it coming,we love seeing your stuff! :bravo:

Sweet group!Judging from all of your posts,you have quite an impressive collection M!Keep it coming,we love seeing your stuff! :bravo:

Patchcollector,

I have spent the last 23 years door knocking in ernest. I have found some nice groupings but I have not been able to keep them all :crybaby: :mad: :( In the past 5 years I have sold off quite a bit due to personal reasons but kept photos of the stuff. Thanks for your support.

M

Patchcollector
Patchcollector,

I have spent the last 23 years door knocking in ernest. I have found some nice groupings but I have not been able to keep them all :crybaby: :mad: :( In the past 5 years I have sold off quite a bit due to personal reasons but kept photos of the stuff. Thanks for your support.

M

Wow!I like your enthusiasm! :w00t: I should try doing that too!I live in an area that is loaded with retired people,alot of them Vets!

Wow!I like your enthusiasm! :w00t: I should try doing that too!I live in an area that is loaded with retired people,alot of them Vets!

Approaching strangers is a numbers game. It used to be about 1 out of 100 produced. The odds are slightly worse now since my main interest was WW2.

M

• 8 years later...