1872 Light Cavalry Sword Please help ID the belt and Knot!

northshorestuff

northshorestuff

I just picked this up at a local auction for 85 bucks. As far as I can tell, it seems to be an 1872 Light Cavalry Sabre. I am having trouble with the belt though. Can anyone help with the Knot and belt identification? Do they belong together? Any help would be appreciated.

post-10292-1318296163.jpg

post-10292-1318296228.jpg

The belt plate looks military, but the rest of it looks society.

The model of 1872 was an officer-only saber, sometimes examples without an engraved blade are called "enlisted" versions, but there was no such animal, at least per regulation. Enlisted troopers of the era used the M1860. Sabers without engraving were bought by officers on a tight budget or by various societies. The knot isn't military, the belt looks like something an officer might purchase except it's the wrong color for the 1872 saber era and the buckle is for an enlisted belt.

I have seen these "red" belts attributed to pre-Civil War militia, as well. I think the entire lot is a mix of regulation, militia, and possible fraternal.

I agree with Varangian and Patriot. A budget Model 1872 Mounted Officer saber and a Society or Militia sword belt and knot.