Civil War 2nd Corps Veteran!

Patriot

I thought that some of you might enjoy this cabinet card of a salty veteran of Winfield Scott Hancock's 2nd Corps. Our Civil War veteran sports his Grand Army of the Republic lapel button, a reunion medal, and a stunning 2nd Corps badge that no doubt adorned the crown of his forage cap during the war.

You will notice that the photograph was made in Sodus/Alton, New York. Having researched ALL of the New York regiments that served in the 2nd Corps during different periods of the war, there was only ONE regiment that had a company that was recruited from this town in northern New York. This soldier was likely a veteran of Company D, 111th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment. This is about as close to an identification I can have on this otherwise unnamed veteran of the Army of the Potomac.

The 111th New York suffered enormous casualties during the war, and were present at most of the big battles fought by the Army of the Potomac. From 1862 – 1865, the 111th New York Infantry Regiment suffered 1, 982 casualties. The regiment was CAPTURED by Stonewall Jackson's men at Harper's Ferry during the Maryland Campaign, paroled, and was later deployed on the Bryan Farm at Gettysburg where they suffered 58 men killed, and 177 men wounded in about an hour and a half of combat. Their veteran service continued through to Grant's Overland Campaign where a great many of the regiment were killed or wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness. A true combat veteran for sure....

post-2801-1318282372.jpg

post-2801-1318282390.jpg

Great photo. I love to see images of corps badges in wear, either wartime or veterans wearing them. The medal looks like it might be the New York State 1863-1893 Gettysburg monument dedication medal.

That's outstanding! I really appreciate you taking the time to post that medal! It definitely looks like we have a match! Now that I know what it is, I might try to find an example to display with the picture!

Of interest: There is what appears to be a triangle in the center of the corps badge. I initially thought that perhaps he had seen service in both the IV and II Corps, but I can find no evidence to support this. In fact, what research I have done seems to contradict any IV Corps connection at all. The wondering is enough to drive me nuts! :D

I don't know how clear the picture is but maybe it's the enamel type of Corps badge with the smaller outline of the trefoil in the center. I will post a pic of one. Anyway Clubs are trumps!