What's in your War Room Closet?

cthomas

My "war" attic doesn't have a closet per se, but it does have an unfinished side. What's in it? Helmets, helmets, and more helmets...in every nook and cranny.

Ken

crickey!

if a helmet weights around 3 lb's and i can only count about 90, thats 270 lb's of helmets and thats just what can been seen, is your roof sagging anywhere? lol w00t.gif

surplus sammy
My "war" attic doesn't have a closet per se, but it does have an unfinished side. What's in it? Helmets, helmets, and more helmets...in every nook and cranny.

Ken

Man you got a thing for Mitchell covers !

I love it as it is !

mylogo.jpg

Firebasenam Online

Firebasenam Forum

" Gees Id love a Passiona "

• 3 months later...

ALL 37th Division, ALL ID'd. Always looking for more. WW 1 or WW 2.

Enjoy!

post-729-1206920763.jpg

Looking for for 37th Division

VietNam and earlier Special Forces &

USS Hemminger DE 746 items

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

See my FB sales page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1928884587130681/pending/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

usncollector

There is something that I don't understand...

Why do most of the collectors on here have just closets full of stuff? Especially closets full of uniforms?? Why do you need so many?? You always claim to "preserve" history by amassing these unnecessarily large collections, but I hardly find justification in that. The only people who enjoy and get to see these uniforms are you, your wife, dog, and an occasional school group if you do that sort of thing.

For example, 37th guy....

Honestly, I see 20 WWI uniforms in one picture that look EXACTLY alike.

While I realize there are many branches and various differences in each uniform, I find that members who have closets full of uniforms tend to always have the same stuff. And while it is very comforting to have such a large collection, it leaves some collectors, who are looking for a certain piece or patch out in the dark.

It just seems a little overkill to me...

I'd rather see a smaller collection that has great stuff, because the collector's owner didn't go out and buy a crapload of the same uniforms at every militaria show. He saved his money and bought a MOH or restored a jeep-- saved his money and made his collection worthwhile and unique.

Had to take a peek for inventory:

Headgear: Brit field svc caps, Scottish, Gurkha hat, berets, early para helmet

Shivs: US M-3s, Gurkha kukris, Sikes-Fairbairn, SMLE bayo

Uniforms: in storage bags with plenty of anti-moth stuff: 82nd Abn Div M42 set, Ike, and officer's Ike; 101st Ike; beat M1941 fld jkt (bought in 1961, slightly used, from a surplus store, and I wore it) (for spare parts); Brit BD set; Brit Torpal winter coat; war correspondent's quasi-A-2 flt jkt (uncle's), and his B-3 sheepskin; two patterns of HBT coveralls; early Abn balloon cloth one-piece jump suit; Denison smock; jerkin; oversmock; US M43 liner

and plastic bins with stuff I used to take to shows for disposal

and some boxes with unremembered contents

collection that has great stuff, because the collector's owner didn't go out and buy a crapload of the same uniforms at every militaria show. He saved his money and bought a MOH or restored a jeep-- saved his money and made his collection worthwhile and unique.

Really? He bought a Medal of Honor in the United States? Isn't that a crime?

donation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Collecting 29th Division and Virginia-Related Items!

USN,

Many people have "focused" collections. I like armor. Every one of my whopping 8 uniforms is armor. I can't say for sure every uniform I ever buy will be, but maybe.

I can tell you that if 37thguy's uniforms are all ID'd, that is quite a collection. Why not ask him why he is interested in the 37th Division.

Ken Crane has a super collection of 3rd Inf Div items and I know why he collects 3rd ID.

I think it's why they call it collecting. I say to each his own.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

There is something that I don't understand...

Why do most of the collectors on here have just closets full of stuff? Especially closets full of uniforms?? Why do you need so many?? You always claim to "preserve" history by amassing these unnecessarily large collections, but I hardly find justification in that. The only people who enjoy and get to see these uniforms are you, your wife, dog, and an occasional school group if you do that sort of thing.

For example, 37th guy....

Honestly, I see 20 WWI uniforms in one picture that look EXACTLY alike.

While I realize there are many branches and various differences in each uniform, I find that members who have closets full of uniforms tend to always have the same stuff. And while it is very comforting to have such a large collection, it leaves some collectors, who are looking for a certain piece or patch out in the dark.

It just seems a little overkill to me...

I'd rather see a smaller collection that has great stuff, because the collector's owner didn't go out and buy a crapload of the same uniforms at every militaria show. He saved his money and bought a MOH or restored a jeep-- saved his money and made his collection worthwhile and unique.

Hi USN,

Uniforms, well ... they can be equal, but each uniform have a history a part and details that only studious on this art in Militaria notices and values. thumbsup.gif

One collection can have 10-20 uniforms that can seem identical, but if the collector have the veteran´s name, # number, or study the details of medals ribbons and badges, each one becomes completely different.

I have in mine closet + 400 WW1 and WW2 uniforms .. of almost all the countries that had participated of these two great wars.

I try to organize my uniforms and colection in accordance with a time line of the WW1 and WW2.

I detaching the main moments with the corresponding uniforms of the great units that had been there.

For example: I than have more a 1st RED BIG ONE Division uniform because one exists to represent the participation of this unit in the North of Africa, another one for D-Day in Omaha Beach - Normandy and another one that I am looking for to represent the guard in Nuremberg Judgment.

Ex. 2: the variations of the 8th AAF uniforms are enormous during WW2. I try to fill these 'gaps' as baseball card collection... or either... one passes time = hobby. thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

PS. Sorry my poor english.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Stinger Gunner USMC
Hi USN,

Uniforms, well ... they can be equal, but each uniform have a history a part and details that only studious on this art in Militaria notices and values. thumbsup.gif

One collection can have 10-20 uniforms that can seem identical, but if the collector have the veteran´s name, # number, or study the details of medals ribbons and badges, each one becomes completely different.

I have in mine closet + 400 WW1 and WW2 uniforms .. of almost all the countries that had participated of these two great wars.

I try to organize my uniforms and colection in accordance with a time line of the WW1 and WW2.

I detaching the main moments with the corresponding uniforms of the great units that had been there.

For example: I than have more a 1st RED BIG ONE Division uniform because one exists to represent the participation of this unit in the North of Africa, another one for D-Day in Omaha Beach - Normandy and another one that I am looking for to represent the guard in Nuremberg Judgment.

Ex. 2: the variations of the 8th AAF uniforms are enormous during WW2. I try to fill these 'gaps' as baseball card collection... or either... one passes time = hobby. thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

PS. Sorry my poor english.

Ricardo, As a fellow uniform collector I think you defended us very well! This hobby takes up a lot of space and it is often difficult to have the space or maniquins to display every uniform at once, and then there are those that are too small to put on maniquins. So it often seem to the unknowing that we simply have a closet full of old uniforms... I have about 100 uniforms from WWII and I only have 6 maniquin forms. So I rotate uniforms on a monthly or when-ever-I-feel-like-it basis. My exception is my sole Marine Generals uniform which receives a special place of honor on permanent display in my collection. I dont collect a single unit, I try to cross collect by campaign/unit/Branch of Service/rank. Example: I try to get one of each marine divisions at varying ranks, A uniform for each island fought in the Pac campaign, 1 of each AAC units, ex from inf, ord, MP, etc, etc... Everyone has soft spots though, like mine is my grandfathers unit, the 96th division, and the 1st and 3rd Mar divs (my units)

I'd be interested to know how others decide what uniforms to add, and what to pass up.

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Ricardo, As a fellow uniform collector I think you defended us very well! This hobby takes up a lot of space and it is often difficult to have the space or maniquins to display every uniform at once, and then there are those that are too small to put on maniquins. So it often seem to the unknowing that we simply have a closet full of old uniforms... I have about 100 uniforms from WWII and I only have 6 maniquin forms. So I rotate uniforms on a monthly or when-ever-I-feel-like-it basis. My exception is my sole Marine Generals uniform which receives a special place of honor on permanent display in my collection. I dont collect a single unit, I try to cross collect by campaign/unit/Branch of Service/rank. Example: I try to get one of each marine divisions at varying ranks, A uniform for each island fought in the Pac campaign, 1 of each AAC units, ex from inf, ord, MP, etc, etc... Everyone has soft spots though, like mine is my grandfathers unit, the 96th division, and the 1st and 3rd Mar divs (my units)

I'd be interested to know how others decide what uniforms to add, and what to pass up.

Thank you!!

Express me (with emotion) using a not native language .... becomes difficult for me. :blink:

I am thankful for understanding me!! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

37th guy here.

The reason I collect only one Division (not that I need to explain myself) is multi-faceted. I live in Ohio (37th is Ohio Natl Gd), both my wife and myself had family members who served in this unit in WW1, plus over the years I have met several WW1 vets who served in this Division as well as countless WW2 vets which I have the opportunity to see on a yearly basis with nearby re-unions. I used to collect in a round about way for years buying WW 1 WW2 whatever struck my fancy, but it seemed to me that that's what every one else had. Look at the pics of guys with a helmet here, a uniform there, some ammo sprinkled in for added effect. Don't get me wrong, a wide and varied collection is great if that's your thing, but I prefer a more tight knit cohesive collection. Personal opinion, that's all.

I do not buy every ID'd group I see or that is offered. My goal is to represent one from each of the individual units with-in the Division, both officer and enlisted man. I collect for my own personal satisfaction and to remember and preserve their history, although my wife and dog do enjoy them. I have, in the past, worked with the ONG, along with various museums and other organizations ID'ing photographs etc as well as being able to help people from all over the country find info on their family member who served with the Division. So becoming familiar with one division can have its benefits.

As far as "Everything" looking the same, what you don't see is footlockers, hard to find unit histories, various insignia's, long photos and the like. Like others have said here, it's difficult to display ALL the uniforms one may have. Along with the closet picture are 8 more tunics on torsos around the room.

So while everyone has a right to their own opinion (that's why these guys who wore these uniforms fought and died)

I'll continue doing my thing and you can do yours. Ain't America G-R-E-A-T!

Looking for for 37th Division

VietNam and earlier Special Forces &

USS Hemminger DE 746 items

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

See my FB sales page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1928884587130681/pending/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

37th,

I understand completely. Seems most focused collectors have an underlying reason for what they collect. I actually prefer it myself. Someone asked me why I collect armor. I like it and I've had a few in the family.

USN,

It's not necessarily about quantity, it's about collecting. If you don't understand this, you probably never will.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

Odd, I looked at 37thGUY's WWI uniforms and I don't see two that are alike.

If you follow this reasoning, why have more than one M1 Carbine? Maybe Tom Lane should only keep one of his Purple Hearts, because after all, they are all the same medal, right?

The answer comes down to collect what you enjoy. As long as the collection doesn't become too big for you to care for it, then collect away!

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

CNY Militaria

I look forward to seeing your small, great, worthwhile, and unique collection please. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Whats in my closet? Most everything. Even tho I added a room for my collection I have outgrown the room. I can only display about 1/10. I have about 18 manniquins but am going to cut down and go into a revolving dispay mode. Might be exciting to change each month

shrapneldude
Rearranging the closet is also fun, you never know what you might find when digging in!

i138.jpg

That's a great closet-o-uniforms you have there!

If I may make a suggestion to you and others like you who tend to accumulate uniforms by the bushell...

Instead of stuffing them into a closet where you sometimes forget what's in there (guilty of it myself...once found a WWI grouping I could swear I'd never even seen before stuck in the back of a closet on a hanger with a bag attached.) -- get a few clothing racks from a fixture place / closeout auction like they have in stores.

It's a great way to display a BUNCH of uniforms.

I posted some photos of my collection, if I can find the disk I'll repost them here. Racks are way better and easier to find something. Rotate a few mannequins or busts for special displays and there you go. a "User Friendly" collection! haha

I just hate stuffing the jackets into a closet, or worse, a footlocker or something!

*Just make sure you put a bunch of mothballs or something around them!*

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Well my closet IS my war room. I don't have space at the moment to make a real war room since my college buddies hog the rest of the place so I have to settle for the closet at the moment. It is a large walk in closet though so there is still a lot of room to fill. :) The picture below shows about 1/8 collection. It is amazing how much you can stuff into a closet! :blink:

- Jeff

post-1090-1207666860.jpg

9/11: The Pearl Harbor of Our Time

22-orange.jpgI Proudly Support Our Troops And The War On Terror. 22-orange.jpg

We are winning the War on Terror. Learn more at: www.MoveAmericaForward.org

Tell Obama that we need to keep jobs here in the U.S., NOT overseas!

Nice stuff ww2vault, but what is that jacket with al the AF patches on the sleeve? think.gif

Heh, it is a jacket that was part of a top secrete group. They were flight jackets for small midgets since they could fight best in the ball turrent of a bomber. ;)

Really, it is a 1940's era childs jacket that use to be covered in patches but all of them were taken off except the few on the sleeve you see. During the war, kids use to collect patches and some liked to sew them onto their clothes to show them off.

When I get back to my home computer I will post some pictures for you. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

Hi,

Here is a bigger picture of the child's jacket. It was a shock to me the first time I saw it. I didn't know what to make of it. It measures 18 1/2 inches high and from cuff to cuff measures 20 inches.

- Jeff

post-1090-1207760156.jpg