Prototype M-1917A1

jrfalen

Hello all,

I am new to posting, but want to share some pictures of a unique (I think) M-1917A1 helmet I picked up a few years ago. It is different from the typical a1 in that the liner is riveted in, it has a leather chinstrap, and the top pad snaps in. The liner must be a different metal as well, as it isn't shiny. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is the same type liner used Model 5A as pictured in Steel Pots V1.

Joe

post-2027-1195680356.jpg

post-2027-1195680381.jpg

post-2027-1195680396.jpg

A while back while chasing some info on MG John Ryan (NY NG and 27th Div CG in WW1) I came across a website with quite a bit on the man. One thing shown was his M1917 helmet -- apparerently made by a New York or London officers' outfitter -- it had a completely diferent liner -- heavier padding and all leather.

Now, I wonder if perhaps some outfitter like Asociated in Chicago or someone else did not convert M1917's in a similar style to the M1917A1 and sell them to officers. If they did, this might be an example. The fact that this is riveted rather than screwed, plus the snap-in top pad makes me think this.

G