1958 HEAVY ATTACK SQUADRON FOUR,Det "C" named patches

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Greetings,fellow patch peeps,it's a rainy day,so I thought I would dig

out some stuff to post.This is a nice little grouping for Heavy Attack Squadron Four,AKA Hatron Four,or VAH-4,depending on the era!

It is named to C.J Goodman,and is centered around a Det "C" that went on a WestPac cruise in 1958,on board the USS shangri-La.

There are two patches,and a certificate certifying the recipient as a "Poor Loser"!

The patches are great,I'm assuming the patches to be Japanese made,nice and minty,but what blows me away is the certificate!

The certificate is amazingly elaborate and ornate,embellished with intricate artwork,and even has a seal reading "Great Seal of the Poor Losers"

with the four aces within!

Here is what the certificate says:

HATRON FOUR DET CHARLIE

Know ye,all men by these presents,that C.J Goodman did,on February 1958

did depart the island of Whidbey and embark on an ocean voyage with

Heavy Attack Squadron Four,Detachment "CHARLIE",on board the USS

Shangri-La; and that,after eight months of working,griping and exploring the varied

and wonderful mysteries of the Orient;and that after enduring the required number of extensions,

he has fulfilled all requirements and shall henceforth be known as a "POOR LOSER"

Signed,

J.J Duranski Cmdr USN

I can't believe all the work that went into making this thing.From the Japanese flag,to the illustrations of all the cruise stops,the

ribbon with the "Great Seal of the Poor Losers",and the commanders signature,someone put some effort into this!Enjoy!

post-13386-1318193550.jpg

Patchcollector

3,the certificate was rolled up,my son had to help me unroll it.I wanted to scan it with my new scanner,but it was too big!

post-13386-1318193706.jpg

Patchcollector
Very nice, I have a family friend who was a pilot in Heavy 4 during the 60's. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure! I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)What amazes me is that this stuff is 52 years old!

Patchcollector

This unit flew the Skywarrior.The Douglas A-3 Skywarrior was originally designed as a strategic bomber for the United States Navy and was among the longest serving carrier-based jet aircraft in history. It entered service in the mid-1950s and was retired in 1991. For many years after its introduction, it was also the heaviest aircraft to enter operational status operating from an aircraft carrier.Its primary function for much of its later service life was as an electronic warfare platform, tactical air reconnaissance platform, and high capacity aerial refueling tanker.

Patchcollector

Unit history and other info:

HEAVY ATTACK SQUADRON FOUR

VAH-4 " FOURRUNNERS"

HATRON Four, formerly VP-57, came into being on July 1, 1956 as the second Skywarrior squadron in PacFlt. Following a 14-month training program (during which one of its aircraft set a record of 4 hr. 29 min. 50 sec. between the West Coast and Hawaii), VAH-4 first deployed to WestPac in February, 1958, when Detachment Delta went aboard the USS Hancock (CVA-19). VAH-4's peacetime activities were also marked by its contribution of A3D-2 tankers to Project LANA in May, 1961.

Remaining homeported at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, throughout its 12-year existence, HATRON Four never deployed as a full squadron aboard a single carrier. During the early years, the squadron's deployment history was unique as its A-3B detachments only went aboard the smaller attack carriers. During the Southeast Asia War, however, VAH-4 detachments also embarked aboard larger carriers (initially aboard the USS Independence (CVA-62) in 1965) and, as there was a shortage of tanker-configured A-3Bs to support Task Force 77 operations, in 1966 the squadron also sent a detachment to operate from NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines and Da Nang AB in South Vietnam. Altogether, VAH-4 made 16 war deployments aboard carriers, more than any other Skywarrior squadron.

VAH-4 last deployed KA-3Bs aboard the USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) in December, 1967. It returned to Whidbey Island eight months later. By then it had been decided that on November 1, 1968, VAH-4 would be reorganized as VAQ-131 to provide tanking and electronic support.

VAH-4 "Fourrunners" - NAS Whidbey Island, WA (1956-1968)

Detachments to USS Hancock (CVA-19), USS Independence (CVA-62). Deployments to NAS Cubi Point, Philippines and Da Nang AB, Vietnam. Unit was reorganized as VAQ-131 Nov 1, 1968.

VP-931 Reserve squadron to active duty 02 Sep 1950

Redesignated VP-57 04 Feb 1953

Redesignated VAH-4 03 Jul 1956

Planes

A-3D Skywarrior - Douglas

Patchcollector

Here is a pic of an A-3 Skywarrior pilot shown wearing the unit patch.This version of the patch appears to be missing

the scroll underneath the disc.

post-13386-1318295682.jpg

I thank you for posting this great info on VAH-4. Our family friend is retired USN Capt. Don F. Munday. He was the Skipper of Heavy 4 during the 1965 WestPac cruise. This was a Viet Nam cruise onboard USS Independence. I love to listen to his stories when I can get him to talk. He was a F4U Corsair Pilot, AD Skyraider, then transitioned to jets and became a Whale Pilot. He is a Great Man!

Nice stuff! VAH-4 was based here on Whidbey Island and I know many a former VAH-4 man still in the local area. Here's a few other patches from way back when.

post-1949-1318381120.jpg

Patchcollector
Real nice once again. Love the accompanying photos.

M

Thanks M!I try to provide some background info and pics on the units and people in them,when possible :)

Patchcollector
I thank you for posting this great info on VAH-4. Our family friend is retired USN Capt. Don F. Munday. He was the Skipper of Heavy 4 during the 1965 WestPac cruise. This was a Viet Nam cruise onboard USS Independence. I love to listen to his stories when I can get him to talk. He was a F4U Corsair Pilot, AD Skyraider, then transitioned to jets and became a Whale Pilot. He is a Great Man!

My pleasure!It sounds like your friend is a real hero!Wow!Corsairs,Skyraiders,and the big Skywarrior! :w00t: I'm betting he has some very interesting stories!Keep "poking" him for more! :lol:

Maybe he will let you post some of his stuff! :)

Patchcollector
Another

Those are some awesome patches Steindaddie! :bravo: I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Navy has the coolest patches

of any of the services!If you have any more,or any unit stories,please post them! :)