Air Force Combat Control Team patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,here is an Air Force Combat Control Team patch from my collection.Looks to be theatre made,maybe P.I?

I noticed that it does'nt have the "USAF" across the bottom as the modern copies have.I'm trying to determine

whether the unit used this design during the Vietnam war.Does anybody know when the unit started using this insignia?

post-13386-1318104039.jpg

post-13386-1318104047.jpg

11thcavsniper

I will be interested in any information you get on your post. My Grandson has just entered the combat control team school and I am interested about what he's getting into. L.T.

Patchcollector
I will be interested in any information you get on your post. My Grandson has just entered the combat control team school and I am interested about what he's getting into. L.T.

I found a website that has alot of info,here is the link:

Combat Control site here

Patchcollector

Here is another website I found that you and your grandson will be interested in.It is the Combat Controllers Association.

Here are the membership details:

Membership Information

There are two categories of membership: Regular and Associate.

A Regular Membership is restricted to active duty/retired/separated military personnel who are or were qualified as Combat Controllers (i.e.: held an appropriate Primary, Control or Duty AFSC) in the US Air Force or Air National Guard. Regular members shall be entitled to vote at general business meetings and to hold office in the Association. Regular memberships shall be on an annual or lifetime basis.

An Associate Membership may be granted to a reputable person, military or civilian, or spouse of deceased Combat Controllers, not otherwise eligible for regular membership, who apply and are accepted by the Board of Directors or by vote of the general membership. Associate members may not hold any Association office or vote. Associate members may serve on non-policy making committees, but are not entitled to any regular member privileges while in that capacity. Associate membership shall be annual or lifetime. If you'd like to find out more about joining the Combat Control Association contact Ron Childress or email

Here is a link to the website:

Combat controllers Asoociation website

11thcavsniper

Patchcollector, Thanks for the information about the web sites for the AFCCT. I found it very interesting. I will pass it on to my Daughter [she served in the Army National Guards for 9 years] and to my Grandson. I'm sure he will find the History of this unit very interesting also. Thanks again, L.T.

Patchcollector

Thanks for your opinion Bob,however,I feel that the patch would have been made earlier.

Here is an earlier version of the badge,which closely resembles my patch.

post-13386-1318276180.jpg

Patchcollector

Now,back to my original question that I started this thread with:

Does anybody know when the unit started using this insignia?

• 9 years later...
Rich Eubanks
On 10/10/2011 at 3:51 PM, Patchcollector said:

Now,back to my original question that I started this thread with:

Does anybody know when the unit started using this insignia?

I'm pretty sure that this wasn't used until the teams switched from the blue beret (with only jump wings) to the scarlet beret in the 80's.  The only thing on the uniform that identified you as CCT in the 60's and 70's were a Combat Control batch on the upper left arm that some, not all, teams wore.

CCT Rich.png