Computer Virus Hits US Drone Fleet

Bob Hudson

From http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/vi...ts-drone-fleet/

Can someone explain why drone operators sitting in what is essentially an office in the US wear flight suits?

Because that's what pilots do... :pinch:

Ironically, when we had wash khakis onboard ship, I couldn't wear them off base (everyone did, you just couldn't stop anywhere on the way home), even though they were a button down, long sleeve shirt and nice pair of trousers (nicer than what some people wear to church!) BUT, if you were an aviator, you could wear a flight suit ANYWHERE...to include shopping "out in town", even in Japan (yes, it pissed me off big time back then...)

So the button down shirt was LESS formal than a set of pajamas??? :think:

Sorry, you hit a sore spot... :rolleyes:;)

BTW, these are Brits (RAF), though I don't know about the female in the right corner (maybe a US exchange officer?)

Dave

Because that's what pilots do... :pinch:

Ironically, when we had wash khakis onboard ship, I couldn't wear them off base (everyone did, you just couldn't stop anywhere on the way home), even though they were a button down, long sleeve shirt and nice pair of trousers (nicer than what some people wear to church!) BUT, if you were an aviator, you could wear a flight suit ANYWHERE...to include shopping "out in town", even in Japan (yes, it pissed me off big time back then...)

So the button down shirt was LESS formal than a set of pajamas??? :think:

Sorry, you hit a sore spot... :rolleyes:;)

BTW, these are Brits (RAF), though I don't know about the female in the right corner (maybe a US exchange officer?)

Dave

I'm not sure all of them are RAF, the woman on the right is wearing a 432nd patch.

I'm not sure all of them are RAF, the woman on the right is wearing a 432nd patch.

Right, that's what I said. ;) I see the blue stripes on the two guys to the left, and it looks like the same flight suit on the guy on the right. The female? Who knows...

Same applies to any military personnel...army, navy, air force, marines wearing camo uniforms in an "office" environment?

Same applies to any military personnel...army, navy, air force, marines wearing camo uniforms in an "office" environment?

We wore NWUs in my last office job when I worked on an admiral's personal staff. It was pretty ironic (I thought) to be wearing a "field" uniform while we were in the nice, carpeted, heavily polished formal office of the admiral...but that's what HE wanted to wear, so we matched him! :lol:

Secretary Gates changed the policy of wearing camo at the Pentagon: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/us/polit...19pentagon.html

We wore NWUs in my last office job when I worked on an admiral's personal staff. It was pretty ironic (I thought) to be wearing a "field" uniform while we were in the nice, carpeted, heavily polished formal office of the admiral...but that's what HE wanted to wear, so we matched him! :lol:

Dave, the admiral just didn't want to see you guys.

Right, that's what I said. ;) I see the blue stripes on the two guys to the left, and it looks like the same flight suit on the guy on the right. The female? Who knows...

DOH!!!! :pinch:

snake36bravo

Pilots will be pilots. I bet they have flight suit pajamas they wear to bed.

How about that water bottle sitting on the center console on some loose papers with a phone that looks like it's going to jump the cliff at any minute. Sorry we lost a Reaper after the center panel shorted out. Pilot error?

I understand they discovered the virus when an Al Quaida target said the last thing he saw when the drone shot him was the blue screen of death but before he had a chance to get his heavenly virgins his system rebooted and all he suffered was a memory loss.

The joke is that the guy sitting behind the guy playing the video game (real pilots don't call them pilots) has the job of clubbing the game player to death if his drone crashes to simulate having a real crash. Seriously, they wear wings, flight suits, get flight pay, take flight physicals, and yes, claim PTSD, no kidding. This should answer your question:

2vcx011.jpg

El Bibliotecario

The Gates link was a breath of fresh air-- I am SICK of seeing middle aged general officers doing national TV press conferences wearing what I would call fatigues.

As for airplane drivers and their obsession with wearing mechanic's coveralls, I can only wonder at the lost work hours when they visit the latrine.

Cobrahistorian
The joke is that the guy sitting behind the guy playing the video game (real pilots don't call them pilots) has the job of clubbing the game player to death if his drone crashes to simulate having a real crash. Seriously, they wear wings, flight suits, get flight pay, take flight physicals, and yes, claim PTSD, no kidding. This should answer your question:

2vcx011.jpg

Is there any way to "Like" this post?

As for airplane drivers and their obsession with wearing mechanic's coveralls, I can only wonder at the lost work hours when they visit the latrine.

Actually, there is a quite well established procedure for doing that, I could go into great detail, but I would have to do it with pictures and that wouldn't be appropriate on this forum.

It won't be long until the military will have enlisted UAV pilots. It will be cheaper. There is no reason at this point not to do so.

-Ski

Cobrahistorian

The Army already does.

Getting back to the flight suits for a minute, can anyone tell me why I see AF officers walking around downtown Washington DC wearing them?? I miss wearing the pickle suit, but come on, if you're not going flying, at least in the Army, you don't wear the damn thing!

Jon

It won't be long until the military will have enlisted UAV pilots. It will be cheaper. There is no reason at this point not to do so.

-Ski

Cobrahistorian

Wait wait, i've got it! See it goes back to Snake's scenario. Water bottle on the console spills, shorts out the console, crashes the drone and starts a fire, which immediately engulfs the entire trailer.... that's why they need to wear nomex... I think.... ok, they have more of a chance of being hit by a stray artillery shell....

they have more of a chance of being hit by a stray artillery shell....

You mean being hit by a stray golf ball. Most of these dorks fly from Nellis AFB. The aircraft are launched and when link is established, these well seasoned, professional aviators take over until it's time to land, then they turn it over and go back to their comfy house in Las Vegas and contemplate the carnage that they just saw on the monitor and then go to the VA and apply for PTSD . The horror, the horror of it all..... Freaking Predadorks

B)

Not to defend the wearing of flight suits while shopping at Whole Foods or desk-sitting, nor to displace the valor of flying an actual aircraft in person up in the air, but I for one am grateful to the personnel assigned (mind you) to drone warfare. It has been a help to the fight, and by all appearances is likely to grow as a means rather than diminish.

Worrisome, of course, is the obvious reality (getting back to the original thread) that these devices are 100% subject to the electricity grid and an endless labyrinth of computer roostering by teenagers in Des Moines, L'vov or Hwang Chung... all of whom knew about Atari and Nintendo or X-box from birth.

In the end, I am confident that we on USMF do not know the half of it, and that our military are doing their level best to get the bad guys, with a personal edged instrument if necessary. I am certain that those UAV "aviators" do believe they are making a contribution of importance... this, coming from someone who must ask his spouse how to program a new number into his cell phone.

post-3976-1318087386.jpg

Spathologist
B)

I am certain that those UAV "aviators" do believe they are making a contribution of importance

Well, that's part of the problem. I worked very closely with 7th Group for many years...does that make me SF?

I don't think it's the job we're bashing. It's the exaggeration and lack of humility that these operators (they're not pilots and sure as hell not aviators) exhibit.

It's the exaggeration and lack of humility that these operators... exhibit.

I wasn't aware of them doing so - but perhaps the wearing of flight suits is the indicator?

Speaking for myself only, were I to have that AFSC, I must admit it would be embarrassing to wear a flight suit, anywhere for any reason, unless I was also a qualified pilot and then only when on that job.

I hope they are not mandated to wear those... and I recall some spirited conversation on USMF when a UAV wing was first issued too. Had to agree with that sarcasm at the time, and still, as well.

I read the article before it got posted and didn't even notice the RAF types. I was focused on the IT issue's. As a former USAF type who spent most of his career in places that were very cold, I never could figure out why guys like to wear bags all of the time. Going to john has to be a pain. Not to mention that portly guys do not look good in flight suits.

I wasn't aware of them doing so - but perhaps the wearing of flight suits is the indicator?

My predadork cartoon is only joking minimally. These guys really do think they are aviators and will willingly tell everyone they can that they are pilots. I am not bashing the job because I personally have been on the receiving end of predator feeds to do my job. What I can't stomach is when these things loose link, they are programmed to turn a certain direction and fly to fuel exhaustion, or they are designed to dirt dart. Then real aviators or ground troops have to risk their lives to go get their heap of junk and cart it back, all the while, putting their lives on the line while the predadorks pack it up for the night and go to the bar for a beer. When I crash my aircraft, we run the real risk of being injured or killed and then having to evade an enemy and protect the lives in our care, that is being an aviator. Like Varangian said, they are not pilots, they are operators.