U.S.S. LANGLEY Boatswain's pipe

Two things I like are how sometimes Navy tradition transcends the modern and when Steve H says..."Interestingly enough"

Hilarious...there are navy-wide regulations and rules as well as sailors' need to individualize their uniforms. Couple that with relaxation or variations authorized at the command-level and we get to learn more about the things that are interesting to Steve. :lol:

This forum is such a fantastic collection of people and experiences...so much so that we learn new things every day that fly in the face of what we have lived with as fact.

Rally,

Steve has 3+ careers of observation, I jumped in somewhere in the middle. I was the first in the family to go navy but was an observant/collector from the start. Some how from the start I recognized the desire to personalize my stuff... and as I collect, appreciate the sailors ability to personalize their uniforms in a way that the USMC,Army and USAF have never ...ever ... been able to do. I think that some how... the Navys hold on it"s tradition creates openings for it's members to this day create special service related items.

Not trying to school you in this because I know you have gotten "it" for a while, but it seems the other services apart from the Sea Services are always looking to revamp tradition and yet... ours remains intact.....................as long as the working uniform mistakes are corrected.

Johnm

Rally,

Steve has 3+ careers of observation, I jumped in somewhere in the middle. I was the first in the family to go navy but was an observant/collector from the start. Some how from the start I recognized the desire to personalize my stuff... and as I collect, appreciate the sailors ability to personalize their uniforms in a way that the USMC,Army and USAF have never ...ever ... been able to do. I think that some how... the Navys hold on it"s tradition creates openings for it's members to this day create special service related items.

Not trying to school you in this because I know you have gotten "it" for a while, but it seems the other services apart from the Sea Services are always looking to revamp tradition and yet... ours remains intact.....................as long as the working uniform mistakes are corrected.

Johnm

Add to that, Steve's Navy career was in one of the "classic" seaman rates during a time when the Navy strayed from and returned to that storied tradition (thank God). He rubbed shoulders with some old salts...not to mention his father was an old salt. Love his perspectives and experiences. :thumbsup:

You guys are going to make me blush :blush: I just always wanted to be a Sailor. Grew up around them and wanted to be one. Actually, I thought being a Second Class Boatswains Mate on a Destroyer would be the greatest thing in the world. I was just really lucky to be able to talk to and work with guys that went through times and used the stuff that we now collect. Sort of an oral history, so I pass it on.

Steve Hesson

• 3 years later...

I see this is a very old topic but im hoping someone could help me out. Harry Hoskavich, who owned the pipe, is my wifes grandfather. She came across this post while googling his name. If anyone has any knowledge on the whereabouts of the pipe or how we can go about contacting the gentleman that had/has it would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has any knowledge of this pipe please send me a message. The info posted on this thread is all i have to go on. It would mean so much to my wife and her family to get it back.

You could try sending him a PM. The original poster hasn't posted since 2011 and was last active here July 2014, almost a year ago. Good luck.