"Do it yourself ejection seat kit"

F-89J

Be the first kid on your block to have a real airplane ejection seat with this ejection seat kit! :w00t: Not really, this is my T-33 seat disassembled and ready for bead blasting prior to repaint and reassembly.

Like my previous F-89 seat restoration and earlier post, I have the T-bird assignment history and am searching for unit patches. :think: I need the two inertia reels, shoulder harness and seat/man

separator webbing to complete this restoration. I have inertia reels lap belts and shoulder harness but not for this 1958 model seat. :thumbdown: I'm in the process of making dummy explosive initiators and rocket catapult.

post-43694-1317956316.jpg

post-43694-1317958002.jpg

Looks great so far! Keep posting photos and updates as you can. I'm sure it will look as nice as your F-89 seat when you are done.

Are you going to remove the head rest padding? It looks like it's still on the head rest is why I'm asking :)

-Derek

Do you mask off the decals and leave them there or do you just remove them and then replace them?

If so, just curious, do you have a good source for T-33 seat parts? Decals, headrests, etc?

MW

Do you mask off the decals and leave them there or do you just remove them and then replace them?

If so, just curious, do you have a good source for T-33 seat parts? Decals, headrests, etc?

MW

I mask all of the decals/stickers and tags prior to paint removal. I made a headrest pad and armrests for the F-89 seat from a foam/rubber floor mat like you'd have in front of a workbench. I don't have a good source for seat parts, wish I did. With the F-89 seat I was able to find what I needed on ebay in a relatively short period of time, not so with this seat even though it's 6 years newer and the aircraft were in service for a much longer time. I'm missing the parts that I mentioned in my previous post but I do have an incorrect shoulder harness that will work in the meantime (until the nitpickers see it). With the back pack parachute and survival kit on the seat the missing seat/man separator wouldn't be noticeable.

I'm re-assembling the right armrest and have started re-installing the steel braided high pressure lines. Hope to have the seat "presentable" by the time we head back to warmer weather for the winter.

Finished pictures will follow.

• 2 months later...

Greetings!

This is my first post. I learned of this site when Googling for T-33 ejection seat restoration info. I have a seat and am about to start disassembly for bead blasting. It has an inertia reel and I hope the motor that raises/lowers the seat works. Looking forward to sharing information, tips, insights, decal info (I want to have new ones made), and so forth.

Best,

JL

Montgomery, AL

post-68748-1326482872.jpg

post-68748-1326482884.jpg