Hayes' US WW1 6 Ton Tank

trenchbuff

Mark

Sounds like a great opportunity.Working on the tank and being around Hayes.Never a dull moment.One of the things on the ammo can list (most call it the bucket list) is to meet Hayes one day in person.Spoke to him many times over the years but face to face is n experiance I need to have... :D

RD

Mark

Sounds like a great opportunity.Working on the tank and being around Hayes.Never a dull moment.One of the things on the ammo can list (most call it the bucket list) is to meet Hayes one day in person.Spoke to him many times over the years but face to face is n experiance I need to have... :D

RD

It was a real thrill to be grease monkey on a WW1 tank. Now I have to figure out how to make my photos smaller so I can post a few of 'em.

This FT-17 features in an episode of "Lock 'n' Load". The Gunny interviews Hayes, drives it and fires its 37mm gun at a "bunker". It's an immaculately restored vehicle resplendent in multi-colour camo!

Here you go.

Not sure why the Gunny was intent on calling it a Renault FT-17. It is a US M1917. The M1917 was based on the FT-17 but there are obvious differences (albeit, only tank geeks like me really bother to take notice).

The most obvious telltale signs of a US M1917 are the lifting hooks on the side and the muffler on the left side.

No disrespect intended towards Hayes or the Gunny. LOVE this tank. Hayes did a great restoration!

John

Is the "Hayes" in question the dealer Hayes Otupaulik (sp?) I've often read about on the forum? :think:

It is indeed! The one and only. Hayes is a hobby treasure. He has saved more than most of us will ever collect in a lifetime.

And he is a heck of a good character too!

John

It is indeed! The one and only. Hayes is a hobby treasure. He has saved more than most of us will ever collect in a lifetime.

And he is a heck of a good character too!

John

Roger that...thanks John.

Ian

• 2 years later...
Backtheattack

Great post. Otoupalik is a firm I found in the net, too. Very good staff for sale. Great restauration work done on this little tank, the Wehrmacht used them as Airfield protection tanks in the war.

Yep, Hayes has stuff. Just call and you'll spend a LOT of time listening to him tell you how much stuff he has.

He also will spend a lot of time telling you how other collectors or dealers aren't on his level. For that reason, I'm not a fan.

But nobody can say the guy doesn't have stuff...