American Riff war grouping

Chris Liontas

Chris Liontas

Hey guys! Thanks a ton for the comments! I wish the group were mine, or was going to be mine. I am not sure if Scott plans to sell it soon or not, but with the ecomony and some recient purchases, I am out of the running :)

Talking with Scott, it looks like the Major also did some time is South Africa. He must have been attached to some French units in Gana during that time and flew support. Not sure if that would have made him part of the normal French Air Force, or pary of the Legion. There is supposidly and interview with him around the 1922 timeframe. If I can find it, I will post it for everyone to see!

I will post more photos, close ups tonight as asked for!

Hey guys! Thanks a ton for the comments! I wish the group were mine, or was going to be mine. I am not sure if Scott plans to sell it soon or not, but with the ecomony and some recient purchases, I am out of the running :)

Talking with Scott, it looks like the Major also did some time is South Africa. He must have been attached to some French units in Gana during that time and flew support. Not sure if that would have made him part of the normal French Air Force, or pary of the Legion. There is supposidly and interview with him around the 1922 timeframe. If I can find it, I will post it for everyone to see!

I will post more photos, close ups tonight as asked for!

Come on,........ You'll get it!

DJ

Chris Liontas
Come on,........ You'll get it!

DJ

Hi Dennis! I wish, but thanks for the kind words! I am unfortunately not in the running for this, and I didnt get the 91st panel you thought I would get either. I wish, but so is life. :)

post-2969-1317954931.jpg

post-2969-1317954939.jpg

Chris Liontas

requested close ups of the medal bar--I love the Enamel work of the St George Order on this one. The Order I am betting is Western European made, rather than Russian. As I would say is the Order of the Redeemer.

post-2969-1317954981.jpg

Chris Liontas
Cough cough...did anyone else notice his Royal Navy Distinguished Service Cross?!?!?! Only 1,983 of them were awarded during WW1!!! :w00t: :w00t:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished...United_Kingdom)

Hey Dave!!

I saw that, I am just trying to find him on a list right now. Anyone happen to know if there is a printed list of recipients for WWI?

Hey Dave!!

I saw that, I am just trying to find him on a list right now. Anyone happen to know if there is a printed list of recipients for WWI?

Should be in the London Gazette...

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/318...upplements/4022

This is his entry for the Greek Military Cross

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/300...upplements/4614

Temporary Lt promotion

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29573/pages/4551

Permanent promotion to Probationary Flight Sub Lieutenant, Royal Navy

No mention of his DSC...I'm sure someone can find it though!

Dave

Man, what a grouping! I've been looking into these guys in the Rif War for a while and haven't even found a snapshot and here comes a whole grouping! Probably the only thing rarer than this would be a Kosciusko Squadron group - if anyone has anything from that, PLEASE post!

Croix de Guerre

I have looked and read this thread with awe and admiration for several days now. Good Lord but what a rare and historical group! We have all been privileged to have seen some truly amazing artifacts on this forum, things that normally few would be able to see; but this group is just so over the top it is mind-blowing! I just want to take the time to thank both Chris and Scott for sharing this with us and for the time it took to put this thread together.

Sincerely,

Tom

PS I don't know if any one noticed but his birthday is tomorrow - Oct 8, 1894, he would be 118.

I had a chance to see this grouping up close and personal. It IS stunning! To have the medals with the uniform, and all the other acoutrements....you just can't top this guys service! A mercenary from the skies!!

Chris Liontas

Thanks guys for all the comments!

I would love to find out more about the French Jewlers that made the White Russian medals. For what I have been able to tell, his St George full sized is a Tsarist piece, which would make it RARE RARE RARE! The medal bar must me Western European designed. I would love to know which French manufactuers made these in 1925-33

• 1 year later...

This is an absolutely mind-blowing group....the history is un-matched as is the quality of it!

The fact he saw that much combat, served in those conflicts, and the overall history is stunning...

Truly a once in a lifetime find!

Philip

Thanks for bringing this one back up to the top. Still just as breathtaking as when it was originally purchased. Just WOW...