Oxygen Regulators

skio

Can anyone tell me what type aircraft these oxygen regulators are out of? They came from the estate of a Air Defense Cmd pilot that the son said flew in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Both came in the B-8 Goggle boxes shown at the end which look to be WWII. Thanks in advance!

Steve

post-5041-1317785779.jpg

post-5041-1317785789.jpg

post-5041-1317785810.jpg

Cobrahistorian

I'm not sure about the second one, but the first type is commonly seen on WWII fighters later in the war. Here's a shot of a P-47C-1 (41-6173) and you can see an earlier version of this regulator in the upper right hand corner.

Jon

img037edited.jpg

FS- Thanks for that link. Took a while but I read the entire article and looks like the A-13 was used on the small walk around oxygen bottles by aircrews and the second regulator being possibly either an A-12 or more than likely an A-14B (not sure if the emergency on/off dial is the manual dial to regulate positive pressure mentioned at the end). Seems Aro was the only supplier winning over Bendixs design and becoming standard in 1944 which mine seems to be dated.

Jon- Thanks for your input. I searched P-47 cockpit photos and all seemed to only partially show the early version regulator.

Steve

Cobrahistorian

Steve,

I'm pretty sure I've seen that model in late model D's (D-25 and later), but I'll have to pull the manuals to confirm. Same with the P-51. I'll see what I can find for ya when I get home tonight.

Jon

FS- Thanks for that link. Took a while but I read the entire article and looks like the A-13 was used on the small walk around oxygen bottles by aircrews and the second regulator being possibly either an A-12 or more than likely an A-14B (not sure if the emergency on/off dial is the manual dial to regulate positive pressure mentioned at the end). Seems Aro was the only supplier winning over Bendixs design and becoming standard in 1944 which mine seems to be dated.

Jon- Thanks for your input. I searched P-47 cockpit photos and all seemed to only partially show the early version regulator.

Steve

I believe the second item is an O2 regulator for a walk around bottle. I have an identical one on a small A-3 bottle. I think it is very late WWII to Korean War period. The earlier versions were flater and had a data plate on the front. They remained in service through the War. It is my understanding these later type regulators did not make it to Europe. I don't know about the in the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...
northcoastaero

I was just reading the oxygen equipment section in the book Combat Flying Equipment by C.G Sweeting. The ARO regulator appears to be

a Type A-12 low pressure diluter demand regulator or an A-14. The Scott A-13 regulator was used with the A-4 walk-around oxygen

cylinder and began being replaced by the A-15 regulator and A-6 cylinder in late 1944. Also, C.G Sweeting other book is titled Combat

Flying Clothing. In my opinion, these are two great reference books on WWII flight gear. Hope this helps.

• 6 years later...

A-13 Regulator was for both A-4 and D-2 portable walk-around oxygen cylinders.

During WWII there were four diluter-demand regulators used by the AAF:

- Aro A-12

- Aro AN-R-5

- Pioneer A-12

- Pioneer AN-R-5

Air Forces Manual No. 35, Notes on the Use of Oxygen Equipment for Air Crews, with Special Reference to the B-17, B-24, B-25 and B-26. War Department, Headquarters Army Air Forces, August 1944

post-75-0-44248100-1517677868_thumb.jpg