Red Bordered Tech Sgt Chevron

36-tex

No doubt that's what it signifies. First chevron I have seen like that. Would have liked to have seen the shirt it was originally on (probably pimped-out in a similar manner).

craig_pickrall

I don't recall ever seeing chevrons done like that either. I have seen branch piping on many things but never chevrons.

Here is a nice "altered" tech sgt chevron. What say you? A tech sgt in an artillery unit?

That's a Technician 4th Grade chevron, not a Tech. Sergeant. Big difference not only in what the chevron looked like but also in pay grade. A Tech Sgt. being 2 pay grades higher than a T-5. Don't mean to nit-pick, just trying to keep it straight.

As to the red trim added... well that's anyones guess. In more modern times, members of the Army band have worn dress blues chevrons with a red merrowed edge. Maybe there is a connection along those lines. :think:

WWII to early 50's Civil Air Patrol??? They used to wear the khaki's with red epaulets for the officers... not sure about enlisted & how they were distinguished from Army.

Here is a nice "altered" tech sgt chevron. What say you? A tech sgt in an artillery unit?

My guess is that these rank patches are those of an artilleryman done up in the style that was occasionally seen after the war ended in europe and later against japan, we've all seen overseas cap branch piping sewn around shoulder sleeve patches, this I feel has been done in the same spirit. This piping is not U.S. Army Overseas cap piping, it could have come from any cilvilan sourse foreign or domestic most likley foreign, I would'nt think that this type of unautherized embelishment would have been tolerated for very long being worn by a soldier serving in one the units that remained on active duty in 45-46 . Since troops on occupation in germany where not apt to wear the Khaki uniform in the summer of 45, this very well may be from a khaki shirt worn by those troops still in Italy,Indeed these troops from what I have seen where the ones who had the most embelishments on their patches IE the 85th Inf div, the 88th Inf div.

WWII to early 50's Civil Air Patrol??? They used to wear the khaki's with red epaulets for the officers... not sure about enlisted & how they were distinguished from Army.

CAP wore red background chevrons (not red trim), from 1942 to early 1945, but they didn't use the Technicians chevrons. BUT... some CAP enlisted people wore "home made", chevrons modified from standard US Army stripes. These could be one of those odd-ball CAP chevrons that was not authorized. I have seen a wartime CAP Sergeants chevron with a winged prop all on a red backgound that also was never authorized in the regs. :think: