HT-8 Patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

I finally found this patch in the bottom of one of my patch boxes,and now I can't remember which thread I was going

to post it on :lol: Anyhoo,here it is,it's a nicely done big patch,USA made,I think.I love that cute Grasshopper in the ballcap! ^_^

post-13386-1317696468.jpg

Patchcollector

Some info I found online about the unit:

HISTORY OF HELICOPTER TRAINING SQUADRON EIGHT

Sixty Years of Rotary Wing Training Excellence

Helicopter Training Squadron EIGHT (HT-8), based aboard Naval Air Station Whiting Field,Milton, Florida is the United States Navy's oldest helicopter training squadron, and also bears the honor of being the oldest helicopter squadron in continuous Naval service. For sixty years the squadron’s motto has been "The Best Helicopter Pilots in the World are Trained Here." It's mission is to provide primary and advanced helicopter training for United States Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Allied Student Naval Aviators selected for rotary-wing designation.

Since the establishment of Helicopter Training Unit ONE (HTU-1) on December 3rd 1950, the mission to train rotary wing aviators has remained the same, although the curriculum and aircraft utilized have evolved as the strategic importance and complexity of the fleet’s helicopters has grown. The squadron designation changed one more time in 1957, to Helicopter Training Group ONE, before it was re-designated for the last time on July 1st 1960. As the eighth training unit designated by the Naval Air Basic Training Command, the squadron became Helicopter Training Squadron EIGHT.

In 1962, the first student was simultaneously designated a Naval Aviator and helicopter pilot. Prior to this, advanced rotary wing training was only available to previously designated fixed wing Naval Aviators. In March of 1972, HT-8 moved to its present location at NAS Whiting Field. This move was coupled with the establishment of a sister squadron, Helicopter Training Squadron EIGHTTEEN (HT-18). HT-8 was responsible for the basic helicopter instruction while HT-18 conducted the advance instrument and tactics portion of the curriculum.

In October 1985, HT-8 and HT-18, became "mirror image" squadrons with both teaching the entire training syllabus. On November 1st 1985, HT-8 designated its first Naval Aviator since moving to Whiting Field in 1972. On May 25th 2007, both HT-8 and HT-18 detached one third of their personnel to form Helicopter Training Squadron TWENTY EIGHT. In honor of their historical links to the original helicopter squadron, both sister squadrons retained the numeral eight in their designations.

HT-8 is staffed by 55 fleet experienced, active duty instructor pilots, drawn from the three sea-going services, 15 Navy and Marine Corps reserve instructor pilots from the Squadron Augment Unit, and ten government civilians. During their six month syllabus, 120 multi-serve and allied Student Naval Aviators participate in 110 hours of ground school, 40 hours of flight simulator training, and 115 hours of actual flight training, prior to being designated instrument rated helicopter pilots.

Currently sixty-four officers (39 Navy, 21 Marine, 3 Coast Guard and 1 Allied), 20 enlisted, and 4 civilians staff the squadron. HT-8's accomplishments in 1999 include: Flew over 42,372.5 hours; completed 17,662 sorties, including 4,137.3 night and 2,040.0 solo hours. Instructors maintained an average of 48.5 flight hours per month and 527.6 flight hours per year. HT-8 graduated 141 Navy, 90 Marine Corps, 15 Coast Guard, and 12 Allied student naval aviators. Aside from providing quality training for thousands of United States naval aviators, the squadron continues to train student naval flight surgeons as well as provide helicopter indoctrination flights for United States Naval Academy and Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps (NROTC) midshipmen.

HT-8 flies 24,000 flight hours and designates 180 new Unrestricted Naval Aviators annually to meet the fleet’s manning requirements. In doing so, the men and women of the Eightballers are committed to preserving and upholding the standards of the 30,000 Naval Aviators who have been designated rotary wing pilots in the 60 years since the squadron’s commissioning.

The Best Helicopter Pilots in the World are Trained Here

Great patch. I just checked back into HT-8 for the second time. I did an instructor tour here from 2003-2006 and am now back. I went through HT-18 as a student. I have an original HTU-1 patch (Unit patch prior to this one from the 1950s) and some of the later versions. Still looking for the version you have.

I did a small display last Thursday and Friday for the last winging class of FY-11. Used all of my HT-8 patch variations as well as a few other Helicopter Items. Didn't have a camera with me so no pictures.

The unit is selling reproductions of this patch (Small Size) and many of the students and instructors are wearing them (including the CO).

If you decide to sell it, let me know....

Thanks for posting,

Semper Fly, John

Patchcollector
Great patch. I just checked back into HT-8 for the second time. I did an instructor tour here from 2003-2006 and am now back. I went through HT-18 as a student. I have an original HTU-1 patch (Unit patch prior to this one from the 1950s) and some of the later versions. Still looking for the version you have.

I did a small display last Thursday and Friday for the last winging class of FY-11. Used all of my HT-8 patch variations as well as a few other Helicopter Items. Didn't have a camera with me so no pictures.

The unit is selling reproductions of this patch (Small Size) and many of the students and instructors are wearing them (including the CO).

If you decide to sell it, let me know....

Thanks for posting,

Semper Fly, John

Thanks John,if I part with it,you will be the first to know. :)

Patchcollector

A few nice pics of an HT-8 Helo,I found this on a great site with awesome pics from Davis-Monthan Air Force base,the "boneyard",where

many aircraft are stored in the desert.

Here's a link to the site:

Aircraft pics

post-13386-1317905905.jpg

post-13386-1317905926.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is an interesting variant of the newer design patch,notice the design of the blades on the rear rotor!Common lore is that a squadron commanding officer changed the tail rotor design during the Vietnam War to a peace sign, as a silent protest to the war!

post-13386-1318307302.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a photo of the Quarterdeck (Entry area of the Squadron Spaces).

I put a small diaplay of various squadron patches that have been worn by members of the Squadron over the last 60+ years

John

post-5056-1328465095.jpg

HT-8 Space Patch

Brought into space on a shuttle mission in 1990, by an HT-8 Graduate (Commander Bruce McCandless USCG). This is hanging up in the IP Ready Room

post-5056-1328465587.jpg

post-5056-1328465597.jpg