Camp Toccoa GA

hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls

Went to Toccoa Ga today for their annual military weekend and paratrooper reunion. I posted photos on my facebook album of some of the sights to see http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2...cedb&type=1 There is really a good amount to see there, and the town of Toccoa isn't that far off interstate 85 and is worth a look. The visitors center and museum is in the old Toccoa train station and has numerous displays including a block of stables from Aldbourne England where the 506th stayed. A well appointed gift shop also sells paratrooper and camp related items and books. A walking tour around toccoa with photos of the sites during the war is available and is free. Toccoa, like many small towns has hit hard times, but the county is very enthusiastic about the camp and the paratroopers who trained there and visitors are welcomed. The camp is about 10 miles from the town center and is really easy to find. There's a memorial and a new feature is the last original building from the camp, recently donated back to the county after Miliken Textiles closed and demolished their plant that occupied part of the land of the camp. Miliken had used the building for storage, but now it is accessible and is the last remaining of the hundreds of buildings there during the war. You can also drive, hike or run up to the top of Currahee on the Sink trail. The view is breathtaking. All in all a worthwhile trip for those of you interested in WWII paratroops.

Tom Bowers

• 3 years later...

I always love going to Camp Toccoa. I live about 20 minutes away and its my own little personal tradition to go run Currahee before I go to new military training. I went to the military weekend a couple of years ago and it is always really neat. The last time I went they had a demonstration by some members of the 75th Ranger Regiment that was really neat to see. The top of Currahee is always neat to see but it makes me made and frusterated that they have all the towers at the top of the mountain. In fact, the turn around point for the men that trained there has almost been covered up and a fence is literally inches away from it. . . As for the Airborne Memorial near the bottom, the manufacturing plant recently put up a billboard in front of the memorial, making it an eyesore next to it. I have heard recently that the museum is raising money to build another building and other portions of the camp to ensure its legacy lives on. The video link I'm attaching goes into detail what they plan to do. http://camptoccoaatcurrahee.org/index.html

Thaddeus

• 4 months later...

The camp is about 10 miles from the town center

I need to go there. I recently found out that I had an ancestor who was buried at Toccoa. Wonder where this cemetery is located? Private property?

Find-A-Grave link to grave of Captain Moses Guest who lead the cavalry at Battle of King's Mountain.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=guest&GSfn=moses&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=12&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=58069702&df=all&

hbtcoveralls

I need to go there. I recently found out that I had an ancestor who was buried at Toccoa. Wonder where this cemetery is located? Private property?

Find-A-Grave link to grave of Captain Moses Guest who lead the cavalry at Battle of King's Mountain.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=guest&GSfn=moses&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=12&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=58069702&df=all&

Doesn't sound like it's on private popterty. The directions in the link sound clear enough. Toccoa is a good two and an half hours away from Kings mountain but the Kings Mountain Military park is fantastic and their rangers know quite a lot about the battle.

• 3 months later...
respectingthesacrifice

Thanks to this post, I paid a visit to Toccoa end of August during one trip to USA.

Despite the bad wheather, I was really pleased by the visit and can only advise it. A few photos below to share

post-152914-0-03894100-1443986304.jpg

It is where the camp was, at the edge of Curahee mount

respectingthesacrifice

There is also a nice musuem in Toccoa town. Some nice items to see there and nice welcome by museum staff:

post-152914-0-89464700-1443986724.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-0-89426800-1444133439.jpg

Hi Tom my friend ( hbtcoveralls ) for starting this topic and merci beaucoup ' respectingthesacrifice ' for refreshing it again, I have never made it to Toccoa and regret not doing so especially the number of times I have passed close by it, when visiting a friend in Georgia .

Pleased to add a photo of my original Camp Toccoa tee shirt which I bought a number of years ago at a militaria show in Atlanta. It has a flock printed front, the two patches are just resting on the front and not attached to the shirt.

The shirt came in a footlocker full of one mans paratroop uniform items

Lewis.

respectingthesacrifice

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Tom my friend ( hbtcoveralls ) for starting this topic and merci beaucoup ' respectingthesacrifice ' for refreshing it again, I have never made it to Toccoa and regret not doing so especially the number of times I have passed close by it, when visiting a friend in Georgia .

Pleased to add a photo of my original Camp Toccoa tee shirt which I bought a number of years ago at a militaria show in Atlanta. It has a flock printed front, the two patches are just resting on the front and not attached to the shirt.

Lewis.

Thanks for the pic Lewis. There is one Tshirt in the museum as yours, but my photo was bad so didn't include it. So I'll have a nice photo now...

Eric

General Apathy

Thanks for the pic Lewis. There is one Tshirt in the museum as yours, but my photo was bad so didn't include it. So I'll have a nice photo now...

Eric

Merci Eric, pleased to hear that the image was of interest to you. ^_^

Lewis

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lewis.

Ken, any time you're in the neighborhood I'd love to show you around up there. Nice ride from here through the north Georgia mountains along Hwy 123 to Toccoa. In the other direction is what's left of Camp Croft (not much) and Camp Sevier a WWI camp in Greenville SC.

Tom Bowers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...