GAR opinions

1perazzi

Hi just picked up this nice grouping. Was told he was possibly a POW and whittled these things while in prison. What I was wondering is have any of you ever seen the white folded up ribbon with US flag pinned to it? Someone thought it was for being a POW or WIA. thanks Mike

post-5790-1317507846.jpg

dogfacedsoldier

The carved items are very similar to ones I have seen in relic books, and magazine. I have problem with them being from an CW ex-pow. I csannot say about the ribbons, except they are very old, and no doubt have a connection to a CW pow. Nice items, and you can probably research the name. Are these items from NY, because the orange ribbon reminds me of the Orange blossoms regiment, I believe it is the 44th NY. A very great membership badge with the Sgt. stripes and orange ribbon.

Jon

Hi no he's Taylor McFadden Co. A 32nd OVI. On the CW Soldiers and Sailors sight he enlisted in 1861 and was discharged in1865. It shows he went from Pvt. to Sgt Maj. The red ribbon is for a certain level in the GAR, cant remember which at the moment. The carved items? well he could of done them in camp or home who knows but they would have taken time . The Tiffany medal is engraved I'll try for better pics Thanks Mike

canadian bacon

i have seen the white ribbon with flag on it before but have no clue as to its significance

cheers michael

SCF-Collector
Hi no he's Taylor McFadden Co. A 32nd OVI. On the CW Soldiers and Sailors sight he enlisted in 1861 and was discharged in1865. It shows he went from Pvt. to Sgt Maj. The red ribbon is for a certain level in the GAR, cant remember which at the moment. The carved items? well he could of done them in camp or home who knows but they would have taken time . The Tiffany medal is engraved I'll try for better pics Thanks Mike

Mike,

Found the same information in the same place. No indication of him ever having been a POW or having been wounded, but that doesn't mean he wasn't. I recently was researching a soldier that had spent two months at Andersonville but the database made no mention of him having been captured a second time (it did indicate the first time he was captured - and paroled just days later). But I found multiple references to the second capture and his time at Andersonville in other sources.

I don't think the red ribbon in this case indicates a level in the GAR. I think you might be thinking of the ones with the flag with the red border indicating a Department-level rank. The solid red like that aren't seen on GAR member badges - but they are seen on the UVL officer badges - and on the early UVU membership badges. On the latter they do I believe indicate the branch of service (the color). The Chevron top is nice - indicates the rank/position of Quartermaster I believe (in the GAR).

Agree with you on the carved pieces. I've seen similar items - often produced in camp - many times during the long winter camp months when there wasn't much to do.

Hi and thanks, the only place I saw where he was captured is when the 32nd was at Harpers Ferry and surrendered at the beginning of the war and were paroled I'll send for his records and see about him,may be pretty interesting - him serving for the whole war and going from Pvt to Sgt. Maj. is quite a feat! Thanks for your help Mike

SCF-Collector
Would anyone have the ribbon part to the Ohio Tiffany medal ?

Actually Mike, if you look long enough you might well find a top for the medal, and a suitable ribbon. Ask around at shows. The dealers usually don't have their parts displayed - but most have an inventory of parts somewhere.

The 124th New York were known as the "Orange Blossoms" due to their Orange County, NY heritage. I have a musket here on the forum attributed to this regiment. While it has nothing to do with the items in question, I wanted to clear that up.

The flag device almost looks like the ribbonry for the Civil War POW medal... :think:

post-2801-1318348720.jpg

I should point out that the above picture does not show an original ribbon attached to that particular pendant. A complete example of its ribbon looks like this:

GAR1900ChicagoUnionExPOW_600.jpg

The ribbon shown in the first picture could have been tied to the pendant by anyone over the past 100 years. Its always unfortunate when an item like this gets separated from its original ribbon. But, once it happens, there is always a desire to adorn it with a suitable substitute.

Kevin

• 8 months later...
Mike,

I don't think the red ribbon in this case indicates a level in the GAR. I think you might be thinking of the ones with the flag with the red border indicating a Department-level rank. The solid red like that aren't seen on GAR member badges - but they are seen on the UVL officer badges - and on the early UVU membership badges. On the latter they do I believe indicate the branch of service (the color). The Chevron top is nice - indicates the rank/position of Quartermaster I believe (in the GAR).

The red ribbon is GAR. The GAR used solid ribbons to indicate officer positions at the post, department and national levels. They later adopted the the flag ribbon with colored edges.

Jim

As someone mentioned, the 32nd Ohio was captured at Harpers Ferry when the place surrendered in 1862. The regiment had just arrived there a short time before it happened, and they felt strongly that they got a raw deal. They were promptly paroled en masse, and sent to a camp near Chicago I believe, until they were officially exchanged and reorganized for 3 years service.

They went on to have a distinguished record in the Western Theater, 17th Corps.

Nice group.

I'm interested in Company G of the 32nd.