Ranger's IKE, help needed.

michiel01

I had a "buy one get one free" uniform. Very kind of the seller. But as it all came from estates he had no clue what he was selling. No problem I say, but now I have one Jacket of which I have no clue what it is, which period, any value?

There is a shadow from a patch below of the rangerpatch. No interior, no tags, no labels, no markings. Looks almost like it was worn twice and never again. Private tailoring, made in some theater anywhere on the globe? Or just a piece of crap?

It's quite a big jacket, the guy must have had some muscles.

(shirt and tie are not part of the set, It's all about the jacket.)

2hcdmpt.jpg

2hz47rp.jpg

25jxmjm.jpg

2rdau6h.jpg

23szps9.jpg

ipcqo6.jpg

All help is appriciated,

thank you!

Michiel

I'm guessing it's a post-war European army's battle-dress style blouse to which has been added the Ranger patch. It's not a US made Ike, Vandegrift, Aussie-made BD nor a tailor-made example. This is just my personal take on it. Others may disagree? :think:

My first thought on the jacket was Dutch, but that is just a guess. My thought on the Ranger scroll is that it was made yesterday. Thoroughly modern made scroll and might not even be an official one as the base material is different from what I would expect to see.

Allan

No it's one big blur, it looks more like a stain then something else.

I don't think it's a Dutch postwar, they are more green then this one. I can say that with 99% certainty. And it actually came from the USA, last week shipped in.

I had a "buy one get one free" uniform. Very kind of the seller. But as it all came from estates he had no clue what he was selling. No problem I say, but now I have one Jacket of which I have no clue what it is, which period, any value?

There is a shadow from a patch below of the rangerpatch. No interior, no tags, no labels, no markings. Looks almost like it was worn twice and never again. Private tailoring, made in some theater anywhere on the globe? Or just a piece of crap?

It's quite a big jacket, the guy must have had some muscles.

(shirt and tie are not part of the set, It's all about the jacket.)

2hcdmpt.jpg

2hz47rp.jpg

25jxmjm.jpg

2rdau6h.jpg

23szps9.jpg

ipcqo6.jpg

All help is appriciated,

thank you!

Michiel

That shadow of the patch looks to me like the u.s. 2nd infantry division patch,if it is dutch this would make some sense as the dutch battalion fought in the korean war as a componante of this division.I have seen quite a few photos of this dutch unit wearing this division's famous Indian head patch,no doubt with extreme pride.

That shadow of the patch looks to me like the u.s. 2nd infantry division patch,if it is dutch this would make some sense as the dutch battalion fought in the korean war as a componante of this division.I have seen quite a few photos of this dutch unit wearing this division's famous Indian head patch,no doubt with extreme pride.

In my opinion the shadow of the patch looks more like that of a 9th Air Force SSI. The 2nd infantry division is much bigger and has a different shape (with three upward points).

I also don't think it is a Dutch post war jacket. The fabric of the Dutch jackets is the same as the WWII Tommy jackets. Very rough wool.

Like this one:

post-9199-1317552673.jpg

If it is the shadow of a 9th Air Force SSI, the jacket might be a WWII British made private purchase Ike. These come in a whole range of variations, both in design and fabric.

well I checked it out, and in the right corner you can perfectly see the shape of the 9th SSI coming back in the sewing and glue pattern.

In my opinion the shadow of the patch looks more like that of a 9th Air Force SSI. The 2nd infantry division is much bigger and has a different shape (with three upward points).

I also don't think it is a Dutch post war jacket. The fabric of the Dutch jackets is the same as the WWII Tommy jackets. Very rough wool.

Like this one:

post-9199-1317552673.jpg

You are correct,I was thrown a bit buy the curved shield like ghosting with the three points of the top of the 2nd division patch being obscured by this add on scroll the smallish size notwithstanding and also with the talk that this may be dutch BD jacket. You are also more then likely right on this being a british made WWII varient jacket as the owner has as far as he can tell, verified that it is in all likely hood a 9th AF patch that was once there.

Well I took my laptop and the jacket, and walked them by, one by one from several websites, several eras but only the 9th made a perfect match (also in size, had to look it up because of a Antilles patch on baystate with the same shape).

Well private purchase, the ranger patch should be removed I guess?

Well I took my laptop and the jacket, and walked them by, one by one from several websites, several eras but only the 9th made a perfect match (also in size, had to look it up because of a Antilles patch on baystate with the same shape).

Well private purchase, the ranger patch should be removed I guess?

A quick question. I always was curious if the french after say the fall of 1944 made custom taliored uniforms for american soldiers and airmen.Did they ? It would be within the realm of possibilty that they may have and would have been be items worn by rear echelon types.