What was the first fake you bought?

Austin R

I got burned buying several US WWI items from a very well known dealer and collector/ author in Montana. He is still very much in business. Ten year ago, we was churning out fake painted 2nd division army and Marine helmets. I still occasionally see some of them for sale as originals. He was also selling fake Marine Corps WWI uniforms with repro patches. To his credit, he bought one of those and a fake painted Marine helmet back from me a couple years later when I contacted him, but I lost on a few other items. Thought he was "reputable". Have never purchased from him again, he lost ten years plus worth of business from me.

Normandy1944

My first fake object was a repro nsdap schirmmutze.

I traded an original German WWII medic schirmmutze for this repro thing.

After I found out it was a repro (and I lost a good original item) I learned that knowledge is everything in the field of collecting.

I also decided to collect only US WWII items.

O'Douls .

owen

You jest, but this happened to my father-in-law a few years ago when he was visiting from Canada. He was in a rush and grabbed the first 6 pack he saw enroute to my house. When he offered me one, I asked why he'd purchased non-alcoholic beer. Stunned that such a thing even existed, he promptly disposed of them and went out for more beer

Still to this day, never really been burned by a US item. Have gotten a couple of fakes in mixed lots, but I wasn't buying the lot for that piece. Have bought a couple of fakes from poor images, but either parted out the assortment and made my money back or was able to take advantage of the return policy.

Can't say the same for TR

a hitler youth dagger that i got at an antique show in Clearwater Florida in 1995- when I found out it was a fake, I tried to find the dealer at the next show he went to next in Largo, Florida, but he successfully ditched me. Anyway, I smashed the thing and threw it far into a body of shall remain nameless water.

ViewfinderGyrene

a hitler youth dagger that i got at an antique show in Clearwater Florida in 1995- when I found out it was a fake, I tried to find the dealer at the next show he went to next in Largo, Florida, but he successfully ditched me. Anyway, I smashed the thing and threw it far into a body of shall remain nameless water.

Perfect resting place ;)

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

TR of course. Collar insignia , was only a buck and the seller thought it was a pirate thingy so I took a chance.

PriorityOne

I dont think I have gotten burned too bad yet, buying modern stuff, if you kinda know what you are doing its hard to buy fakes or repros, even if I did, usally I had not paided much. Getting burned on price though, thats a different story....

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

ive only gotten a few fake or repo items, so ive been really lucky, i once bought a repo marine brevet medal for $25.00 but as its almost impossible to find a real one i was ok with it.(this was from a well know dealer in springfield mo,)the same day i got it, a movie prop buyer was in the shop and bought over $3,000 of civil war items that the dealer had already told me were fake.

For me, it was a made-up "VN era" watch at approx $50, with a "contract date" 1965 or so......

Personal experience: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING YOU ACTUALLY HAVE NO IDEA

I first got burned when I bought "an original ww2 m1 helmet" shell from a guy. Turned out to be a m1951 french shel. Asked for a refund but was denied of course. Then he later sold me an ww1 Italian bayonet for $10.

Damn, some hard stories to read here.

I read somewhere that, at the time, 99% of the TR SS stuff you saw was probably a fake. I don't think the percentage was that high, but it always made me cautious. After Bandwagon of Brothers, etc, I think the percentage of US stuff that was faked increased; I sure know the price did.

I've bought maybe three or four German Wound Badges. I have a hunch that one might be fake, but I paid no more than what a good repro would sell for, so I'm not really wrapped around the axle over it.

hbtcoveralls

Bought a 1950s West german tunic that I thought was real., funny thing was it ended up having real insignia on it so I ended up doing okay

Tom Bowers

Yesterday my girl friend drug me to a bakery for Pi day to get some pie. Years ago that block had several antique shops and I remembered a couple items from years ago. One of the shops had a short SS blouse with all the insignia, badges and bandage in the inside pocket. It looked great, but was double breasted and I didn't buy it for $25. I found out later it was an assault gunners blouse. Somebody told me that an Italian helmet they mail ordered from this company had a German chin strap on it. I ordered a double decal Italian troops with the German army helmet in the hopes of a German chin strap for $10. I wasn't lucky it had an Italian chin strap, was painted German army green with cheap fake decals. A guy knowing it was a fake bought it from me for what I paid for it. Years later I saw it for sale in one of the shops for $350. I'm old enough to remember buying German helmets for under $20 with original paint and decals. When the repainted and decalled starting to show up they stuck out and looked fake.

• 2 weeks later...

A TR U-boat assault badge at an antique show. Don't collect TR, but bought it as a gift. Later on I discovered the fake and tried to take it back. The response: "with the deal I gave you, why would you think it was real?" I had no idea what a deal it was, sounded expensive to me and was a painful lesson. Still have it to remind me to do my work and know my crap.

Mid 70s I bought a RZM marked Hitler Youth knife. The fact that it was only $30, in mint condition and smelled a bit like new paint should have been a clue. But I was a kid and the catalog said it was "original." Live and learn, it made a fun knife to play "stretch" with.

Thankfully the vast majority of items I acquired came from my grandparents and people they knew. In most cases the veteran who owned or collected the items had passed away and their were no children to pass them on to. The fact that a wide eyed kid in Junior High treated these items like found gold convinced most remaining family members (wives, brothers, etc.) that it was going to the right place.

In most cases entire boxes full of uniforms, decorations and the like were simply given to me. I'm glad I was too young to really appreciate the implications of the situation. One of the worst feelings I ever experienced was when I was organizing my collection and really marvelling at the Ike jacket I had and realized it had a few things in the pockets. One of the items that came tumbling out was a simple women's wedding ring. In all likelyhood it was placed there when that kindly old lady got her husbands last effects when he was killed in service.

Took a little while for the complete significance to sink in.

Mine was pretty pricey, a pathfinder camo m1-c, I've gotten by some very nice worm German uniforms since then and once hastily bought a repro tanker jacket, usually if the deal is too good to believe, it is

I've been lucky enough to avoid most "fakes." When I was around 13 or so (only 4 years ago!) my father bought me an M1 Helmet with a woodlands cover that he thought was Vietnam Era, but it was an 80s style helmet. I still haven't told him, as he spent 60 bucks on it, and I haven't gotten rid of it because of it's sentimental value.

Pat Daniels

My first piece of ordnance was a .50cal AP round that my Grandfather liberated from a B-29 at Boeing Wichita. It was the biggest bullet I had ever seen and I was hooked!

My second piece came a few weeks later at a flea market and it was a WW I French one pounder, complete. Now I am in full ordnance collecting mode.

On the way home from the flea market, at the age of 12, I coaxed Dad into stopping at an antique store where I bought a 12 pound Civil War cannon ball (it had the # 12 cast in a recess in the side) for $15.00 (which was a fortune in those days)

A year later when I started 7th grade, I discovered a whole rack of 12 pound Civil War cannon balls in the gym, except the coach called them SHOT PUT.

Screwed by the antique dealer at the age of 12. I wanted to "return" it to her store late some evening but Dad said I needed to be more careful in the future.

I still have my "cannon ball" as a reminder to educate myself. Pat

Greetings,

Late 70's I saved my allowance and bought a reproduction WWI EK First Class from The Collector's Armory. I knew it wasn't real but I 12 year old didn't exactly have a fortune . Still have it somewhere :)

Best,

Peter

Greetings,

Late 70's I saved my allowance and bought a reproduction WWI EK First Class from The Collector's Armory. I knew it wasn't real but I 12 year old didn't exactly have a fortune . Still have it somewhere :)

Best,

Peter

Weren't they still Replica Models at the time? I had one of their 1911s, took "playing army" as a kid to a whole other level.