What was the first fake you bought?

Austin R

Reading this topic got me wondering. I collect the good guy stuff, but my kid has been wanting a TR Luftwaffe helmet for years. Who would be a reputable dealer or seller?

Reading this topic got me wondering. I collect the good guy stuff, but my kid has been wanting a TR Luftwaffe helmet for years. Who would be a reputable dealer or seller?

This is a us militaria site so I can't go into depth, but I heard good reviews of

www.ww2germanhelmets.com

When I was a younger collector I went to the ASMIC show in Kansas City. I think this was in the late 80's. There was a WW1 Siberian enlisted tunic for sale. Of course I jumped on it. Everything on the tunic was real except for the polar bear patch. I stripped the patch off the uniform upon finding out I had been duped. Gave the patch to 36Tex, not sure if he still has it, and sold the tunic for a huge loss. Lession learned yup.

There was a dealer that set up at gunshows. I bought a lot from him. Then about two years ago I noticed about half his stuff was repo. Went back home and started looking over the stuff I had bought from him and there was a repo Compass case. I had faith in him and hadn't looked it over well enough. I still see him at shows and I drool all over his repo stuff as he tells me how rare those items are-then I walk away without buying

When I was 14 I wanted a helmet so badly, and it had to be a US helmet. Anyway, I was a complete newbie and a collector sold me a Belgian post war helmet as being WWII genuine US. It broke my heart at the time! Dont recall whether it had a front seam, but the liner was a post war one and it was definitely repainted.

Well, we all have to learn, but messing with the feelings of 14-year-olds is evil!

10 years later they wouldn't have to try that no mo' :packin heat: ^_^

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I see these helmets on ebay by bellasunrize and I know they're listed in the thread of selling painted helmets. Does anyone buy from them to have a specific helmet like from SPR or BoB that they can't afford otherwise? I know I'm new to collecting here and was just wondering. I would like to have helmets from those films, but also don't want to pad someone's pockets if they're not legit.

TR...TR...TR...

Never really burned on US, took gambles low-balling prices for lots with bad images. Generally the price was worth the other items in the lot, so no big burn

RelicHunter99

Only time I've ever been burned was on a French 1915 Adrian. It was a Colonial and when it showed up, it smelled like fresh spray paint. The seller refused to concede it was a fake and called me every name in the book. Paypal gave me my money back, but I was out the registered shipping back to France (which is hefty).

blitzkrieg gsd

I'm with you guys on the German TR stuff that's where I got my first burn to. Honestly it worked out for the best because I got so mad about it I decided to focus on US stuff from then. Now I still buy and collect TR stuff but US is still where my heart and passion is.

I have been burned before, but the first TR item I bought on tuesday was a complete fake. No wonder why I got it so cheap ($2.50). :mellow:

I first got burned on a TR service medal,and i went all the way to England (Holiday) for the privilage. :rolleyes:

No chance of a return,seeing as i got it from a flea market.

Bloody know better now ;)

Mick

I first got burned on a TR service medal,and i went all the way to England (Holiday) for the privilage. :rolleyes:

No chance of a return,seeing as i got it from a flea market.

Bloody know better now ;)

Mick

How I see the german collecting field :lol:

minefield.jpg

Years ago I found an EM TR jacket at the flea market for $55. It looked pretty neat with SS tabs, cuff title, and several metal awards. I brought it to a well-known militaria collector (So. Dale Mabry in Tampa). As I was walking towards him with the jacket in my hands, he was able to point to each item and rapidly call off "fake".."fake"..."fake"...........I felt pretty stupid. Thank God I wasn't out too much money. That was the last TR I ever bought.

When I began collecting USGI stuff back in the 80s, those of us who shared the GI hobby used to laugh at and tease our TR collecting pals because their collectibles were both expensive (even then) and riddled with fakes. We're not laughing now! :(

Only once did I buy a fake ... it was an australian made USMC camo cover, with Crystal Ltd stamp.

At that time, in the beginning of the 90s, it was considered legit and it sold very well when the major part of my collection was sold.

Now I would like to find one, because even if it's a fake, it's interesting ... besides I'm ashamed because I sold a fake ;)

I bought some repros, but always knowing it.

[quote name='Jim Baker' date='Oct 3 2011, 02:18 PM' post='922537'

At least with US stuff you generally meet a better class of people. Only had a "few" try to take me so far.

I have noticed the same thing! I must admit, however, the tide is beginning to turn. As US militaria continues to climb in price, the dishonest people are coming out in force.

House of Stuart
I bought my first fake when I first started collecting at 14. A surplus vendor at a flea market sold me a "authentic" bomber jacket $40, but it ended up being just a jacket you would buy at the mall in the 70s. What a nice dealer to rip off a 14 year old. :rolleyes: I keep it as a reminder of my stupidity.

The next fake I bought was at Aldefer's Auction's militaria auction. The "Military Appraiser" sold a Dutch Civil Defense Helmet as a real British MKII helmet and I have seen a few more fakes come through that auction.

I like so many others was burned by fake German items even back in the 70's. Fakes on that stuff have been around since the war ended. Now, I wouldn't touch a German item with vaccinated crowbar.

History Man

I think it is funny when people that have offered me items say that they have had it since the 60s so it cant be fake. They dont realize that they have been faking items since the war ended as stated above. As a rule of thumb I stay away from all TR items unless they come in a group directly from the vet (even then you have to be careful because I was dealing with a vet who had an SS field hat that turned out to be a 70s fantasy piece). US items used to be okay but now fakers are refining their tehniques and they are getting very scary.

Philip

House of Stuart
I think it is funny when people that have offered me items say that they have had it since the 60s so it cant be fake. They dont realize that they have been faking items since the war ended as stated above. As a rule of thumb I stay away from all TR items unless they come in a group directly from the vet (even then you have to be careful because I was dealing with a vet who had an SS field hat that turned out to be a 70s fantasy piece). US items used to be okay but now fakers are refining their tehniques and they are getting very scary.

Philip

Well stated Philip. I have seen patches that were handed out at reunions in the early/mid 50's and they look damn good! With all those years of age and dirt plus the period manufacturing it can be VERY hard to tell. The 507th PIR patch comes to mind of the top of my head.

Javelin4life

I remember my first burn...I was 14, and went to the local flea market up the road from me...I was very new to collecting militaria, and I remember that I was all about WW2 this, WW2 that. I never really did my homework on the fine details of helmets, so when I saw two German helmets on the stand of one particular vendor, my heart leapt into my throat with excitement. The vendor told me exactly what they were having gotten them "directly from the vet himself", and when he named his price, I figured he was foolish to sell me two authentic German helmets for a "bargain" price of $100. I felt on top of the world, knowing that I had duped him out of a huge money maker. Sad to say, the duper got duped. As I looked up my helmets online, one design in particular stood out to me: The Spanish Stalhelm :pinch: The vendor laughed his way to the bank, knowing that he got the best of a newbie 14 year old collector.

Nowadays I look back on how naive I was, and realize even now I'm still learning something new about this hobby every day. I still have the helmets, though they're locked away in a trunk in my closet.

I started collecting WW2 in 2006 and met this guy that owns a store in Bastogne. He came to buy some pistol belts that I had for sale. And he just came back from a meeting with easy green veterans. He had some " original" helmet shells with paintings in his van. And because he like to help a new collector he invited me to come by at his place.

He had several helmet shells for sale that he said, came from veterans. He had to sell these so the money can go into a foundation for WW2 veterans. He had one shell that he received of one of easy greens veterans, a captain painted M1C with the heart markings on it. Stupid as I was I jumped on that thing as a cat on a fish. He showed me pictures of him with shifty powers and Malarkey, and with Tom Hanks. Because he did a lot for these veterans I believed his whole story. Sold me a Class A that he received of a son of an veteran too for quite some cash.

Later on eBay I found out that Easy green existed and saw the identical helmet shell. So I checked out easy greens feedback and there was a name that made me think about my "special friend" and I checked that feedback and WHAM there was my original EASY GREEN helmet and the veterans son class A for some cheap prices.

I called him and he told me that I had the original example and he asked easy green to copy that one. When I asked him why he is bidding on eBay on those helmets he told me it was to help easy green for the right prices.

It was a complete fake shell and the jacket was original but the story wasn't.

This guy is still in business and he seems nice when you meet him, but keep him out of your wallet. He sells fake shinola with good stories.

The first fake item I bought was a German Luftwaffe helmet, repainted, fake liner, fake decal. I paid around $80 for it. I was 12 and it was my second helmet, found out it fake a fake when I joined the WAF forum some years later. Oh well I stripped it and sold the shell for $110 :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Won't go into details, but my first was a document stamper "original from the 3rd SS Panzer Division". Wanted it because was both young and stupid & they were so notorioiusly synonymous with the death camps, so I thought it might even be an unwitting Holocaust relic some GI had taken from a kommandant's office. Got it and it sure was't wood & steel, it's light as a feather :dry: