What was the first fake you bought?

Austin R

francesco-5th

My first fake was an M41 Jacket bought from an American Ebay's Seller.

He wrote that the jacket was original and the photos wasn't so good and clear.

On that occasion, i was very naive.

After receiving the jacket i found the precedent Ebay auction where he bought the jacket from England,

of course how a repro and not for an originale item.

He said after my complaints, that the jacker was original and it was

inspected and certified by an old WWII collector.

There is always something to learn about people.

Greetings to all.

Francesco.

I've only gotten burned once. I bought several Afrika Korps uniforms from a dealer in NY state back in the mid 70s. I later found out that they were all made up uniforms for one of the DAK movies. I eventually managed to get most of my money back by selling them as repros. Another time I bought a German Artillerie Officer's visor cap. I took it by to show to George Peterson. I walked in the shop and said hello and told him I had a cap I wanted him to look at. At the time I was 20 feet away from him and he said that's one of the repros he and Colonel Atwood made back in the 60s. I got a full refund from the other dealer on that one. I feel pretty good about most of the US stuff that I have. I inherited a couple of Suburbans full of militaria from a friend who died a couple of years ago. I've discovered a couple of repros but most of this seems to be real. I try to be very careful what I buy and where I buy it.

Dave

canadian bacon

mine was a canadian ribbon bar i got a few weeks ago so far ive been pretty lukcy so far in the areaof american fakes

cheers michael

When I was 13 I traded a cased Iron Cross 1st Class for a bunch of fake medals to a dealer at an Antique show. The guy I was with knew immediatly they were fakes and marched me right back to the guys table. He told the guy, " give this kid his medal back" as his put the fakes on the table. The guy said " if he wants to play with the big boys then he needs to learn to get burned on occasion". He didnt give the medal back to me and told me to enjoy my fakes.

10 years later I bought a US medal from him grossly undervalued ( he priced it) , and reminded him of the time he ripped me off when I was 13 as I told him what it was worth :)

Kurt

I spent a week's allowance in 1960 on a knight's cross. I discovered my folly a week later and 3000 miles from the seller. I kept it as a reminder to know what I'm doing when I invest a week's allowance. An expensive, but lasting lesson.

I was an 18 year old student visiting Paris, France. The big flea market in the north, Marche au Puce..lots of US ribbons and stuff. Paid a lot of Francs for some put together items. Not really fakes, but just not right. Now I do know a wee bit more.. :thumbsup:

When I was 13 I traded a cased Iron Cross 1st Class for a bunch of fake medals to a dealer at an Antique show. The guy I was with knew immediatly they were fakes and marched me right back to the guys table. He told the guy, " give this kid his medal back" as his put the fakes on the table. The guy said " if he wants to play with the big boys then he needs to learn to get burned on occasion". He didnt give the medal back to me and told me to enjoy my fakes.

10 years later I bought a US medal from him grossly undervalued ( he priced it) , and reminded him of the time he ripped me off when I was 13 as I told him what it was worth :)

Kurt

Good for you. People need to be taught sometimes, what goes around comes around.

Geez - I'll show my age by admitting my first FAKE was a TR luger that was really a parts gun, put together from odds & ends probably in 1946 to fool some GI - un-numbered parts, no proofing - I kept it for years until I found a guy who collected such a thing. He knew it was a fake & wanted it as such. That was in 1968

Got taken a few times by "police-marked" Lugers when I got started - found there was a guy who had brought home some metal stamps from a Berlin police armory, and was "editing" the value of a few guns. ouch. Lost a buck or two on those...

Was given a few items as a child by a few advanced TR collectors - tinnies, etc that were known fakes coming out of Germany in the early '60's. I was told how to compare them with the real ones - and still have these as reference pieces. Some are pretty darned good - some are so bad I can't believe they were even sold to anyone!

Bought an "original" TR P-38 holster through the mail dated 1941 - and stamped "made in West Germany" ink-stamped inside. Got my money back on that one.

It strikes me that the most amount of fakes mentioned in this thread are TR items. This is one of the many reasons why I only collect US stuff.

I know there are lots of fake US items but many people on here let me call them personally to ask their advice.

As a matter of fact, I called two of them this weekend! :thumbsup:

It strikes me that the most amount of fakes mentioned in this thread are TR items. This is one of the many reasons why I only collect US stuff.

I know there are lots of fake US items but many people on here let me call them personally to ask their advice.

I was just thinking the same thing Kat. Seems like a number of our members are closet TR collectors!! :lol:

I was just thinking the same thing Kat. Seem like a number of our members are closet TR collectors!! :lol:

Former...former TR collectors! :lol:

If a poll was done (and I think one was done in the past, IIRC) more than half of collectors start off in the TR realm, and then switch to whatever else they end up collecting (or hop around from theme to theme, like me!) :thumbsup:

Kurt

Sweet justice. An a$$ kicking would have been better, but this is good.

I collected TR for many years and had a very nice EK collection. You had better know what you are doing if you want to collect the dark side.

What kills me is how many of the TR dealers will rip you off, and how many of them are the "big names" among dealers. One guy here in the Denver area who still attends the JeffCo show regularly tried to rip me off about 10 years ago. I demanded my money back and when he wanted to hem haw around, I told him I would see him at the next show with that medal in hand for all to see. I also assured him EVERYONE would know who I bought it from. My money was refunded.

Another old time dealer in the Springs that everyone goes on about is a blatant con man. I put him to the test more than once.

At least with US stuff you generally meet a better class of people. Only had a "few" try to take me so far.

When I first began collecting militaria in the 80s Third Reich stuff was considered to be a minefield for collectors due to the number of fakes to be found and the high prices involved..even back then. It didn't bother me at all as I was into GI stuff..."safe" and affordable. Alas, no longer. How things have changed in the space of 25 years! GI stuff is now, sadly, as faked and mis-represented as Nazi stuff used to be! :(

You can say that again, buddy...my first fake was a "U.S.M.C. Helmet Cover" made of Shelter Half canvas and marked under one flap with a stamp which had identical font to my own return address stamp. I thought something was fishy, because among other things, it didn't have "That Smell". After becoming "educated" on these, I took it apart at the seam and it now rests in the scrap material box. :ermm:

I sure feel sorry for T.R. collectors; this field seems to be getting tougher by the week as far as fakery goes.

I can't help but feel better when I read others' stories!!

My own instance I recall very clearly. I began collecting Civil War items at age 12. I would buy things with my allowance that I saved, or with Birthday present/Christmas dollars. I had a beautiful "SNY" oval belt buckle with puppy-paw hooks. One day we were at the local mall and an antique show was set up there. My Dad came and got me and told me that there was a guy selling CW stuff. I was really excited and went to his booth. He had a rectangular "CSA" belt buckle "picked up on the battlefield of Iuka" (you already know where this is going). He told me he would trade my SNY belt buckle for his CSA one. I trusted him (heck I was only 14 then, and it was the 70's), went home and got my buckle and made the trade.

Years later, when I was showing off my stuff to another collector (more experienced than I) he sadly advised me of the POS I had purchased.

I can only hope that karma came back at some point and bit that man on the *ss!!!

Melanie

The first fake I ever bought was from one of the big time Vietnam dealers. I was 13 or 14 years old and was really after a set of tiger stripes. It was at one of the MAX shows and he had a nice patched set for $100. I had saved my allowance for months to take with me to this show. My dad bargained with him and I eventually got it for $75. I thought it was the neatest set around. It had patches on the sleeves, direct embroidered qualification badges, etc. I was young and didn't realize that something like this, even back in the day, would have cost in excess of $300 or $400. Back in that time, you could still pick up nice original tiger sets for $75 to $125 bucks. Anyway, I later found out that what the dealer had sold me was an early Tiger Stripe Products set! The dealer had intentionally screwed over a 13 or 14 year old kid! There is no doubt in my mind he did it on purpose.

Eventually, I sold the set to a friend and he KNEW it was a repro set. He wanted it for a filler in his collection. This story has an interesting ending though. A few years later, I was at another MAX show and found an original South Vietnamese Marine Corps tiger stripe jacket for $115 (I think). The dealer, who had screwed me, asked to see the jacket. When I showed it to him and he found out how much I had paid, he said "Son of a bit#$" and threw the jacket back to me. I think that is what I would call KARMA.

I walked away from that experience with a VERY bad taste in my mouth. However, I told myself that I would NEVER treat another collector that way and I haven't. I have always helped the younger collectors get their own collections started.

How true....and when we want to encourage kids to become interested in history and collecting, what a sour taste that would leave if they were ripped off as we were!

That's why I heartily applaud "tarbridge" for giving away a PH (FOR FREE) to a novice collector!! That's what I call "paying it forward"!!

Melanie

Capt.Confederacy
I bought my first fake when I first started collecting at 14. A surplus vendor at a flea market sold me a "authentic" bomber jacket $40, but it ended up being just a jacket you would buy at the mall in the 70s. What a nice dealer to rip off a 14 year old. :rolleyes: I keep it as a reminder of my stupidity.

The next fake I bought was at Aldefer's Auction's militaria auction. The "Military Appraiser" sold a Dutch Civil Defense Helmet as a real British MKII helmet and I have seen a few more fakes come through that auction.

First fake was (as you might guess) was a Confederate cartridge box plate. Unfortunately that wasn't the only one, but I got a lot better at smelling out the fakes after that one.

Capt.Confederacy

Kurt

What that dealer did to you just boggles the mind. I can't imagine conning some kid out of a legit piece and handing him a bunch of fakes in return. At least it had a happy ending, and you got some payback on him. :thumbsup:

(Had it happened to my kid, I'd have been tempted to tell that dealer, "If you want to con kids out of stuff, you need to get burned on occasion by her rather large relatives who'd love nothing better than to 'explain' the error of your ways out in the parking lot after security has gone home.")

Its seems the corrupt dealers will always take advantage of kids :thumbdown:

If they want to play with the "big boys" they gotta learn right? That wouldn't turn a person off on the hobby completely? Right? :thumbdown:

Sometimes the way I am treated still by older collectors is unreal.

Its seems the corrupt dealers will always take advantage of kids :thumbdown:

It's not just kids...could be older adults who aren't educated. That's why there's the old mantra of "spend your money on books FIRST". It's the natural tendency of new collectors (me included, back in the day) to go out and buy whatever they see that looks cool...only to discover later they got taken for a ride. Spending time doing research, learning from books, walking around shows and just looking at stuff, and finally (and very importantly) get to know honest fellow collectors/dealers who can mentor and point one in the right direction before all the hard-earned cash is spent.

I know it's tough to do, and that's my 20/20 hindsight looking back 25 years, but that's the best advice I could give someone so they wouldn't get screwed.

(My other piece of advice I wish I followed: Always buy high-end, you'll never regret it. Likewise JUST as hard to do...)

Dave

Former...former TR collectors! :lol:

Amen Brother, I've now repented of my dark TR ways and have joined the side that won! ^_^