Massive fake airborne lot on ebay.

ken88

Sooo many sweet helmets out there for which I wish I had the money and that don't sell at all. It's funny to see that this sh** does.

Both seller and buyer are responsible for that purchase. Any collector with a bit of knowledge knows that ain't no good.. People like them keep the fake industry in business.

When is it going to stop? A hundred years from now people simply ain't gonna see the difference anymore...!

When is it going to stop? A hundred years from now people simply ain't gonna see the difference anymore...!

Fake painted helmets already outnumber real ones. I believe someday when the more educated people who collect painted and non painted helmets are gone / not around anymore, more people will believe the fakes are actually the good ones and the originals aren't. Kinda of what you see with German helmets. It's sad, but we've seen it happen already. I've even seen known fakes be passed as originals to even the more advanced collector / helmet collecter.

Especially with all the book nerd collectors out there...

I had a guy tell me a Vietnam helmet liner I was holding wasn't WWII because it didn't have a front eyelet. Obviously I knew it was a Vietnam liner, but there are a lot more reasons why it's NOT a WWII liner then by looking for an eyelet or not. I've also seen them say Korean War era liners are WWII because of the eyelet.

That helmet is one of the worst I've seen in awhile. Not even good reenactment quality IMO. The fact that that helmet sold for more than $150 is depressing. Obviously more than one person out there thought it was real, and this is not the first time we forumers have seen obvious fakes sell for stupid prices and we all sit back and wonder what these people are thinking. The lucky "Winner" of this helmet will display it in there collection proudly. Just think of how many fakes are in collections, it's quite a depressing thought actually.

These people buying these fakes now, I feel. Will unfortunately outnumber us in the future.

Guess it's up to us to start reporting then.

The sad thing about all this isn't just the fact that he bought a fake for such a huuuge amount, but especially that 8% of that amount goes to eBay (quite a lot). eBay for goodness sake, that doesn't do a thing to prevent such things from happening.

It's up to them to check if their items or listed in the correct categories or not. The least they could do is create an option to doubt an item, a sort of poll. That would make a great addition to the collecting category on the site! It would be quite an eye opener for people and fellow collectors.

Well, as long as they're making money :rolleyes:

The freaking thing sold for over 1k. Someone is going to be PISSED.

I tend to think that if someone was stupid enough to spend that kind of money on something that was obviously a fake, that the buyer will proudly display their "ID'd 101st Airborne paratrooper helmet" and completely ignore everyone who tries to tell them any different. They won't be pissed because ignorance is bliss.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

The fact that he gets to blame someone else for authenticating his items is a farce. He must hold himself accountable and he must be held accountable for the authenticity of what he sells. All of this stuff is pure fantasy stuff made up for a reenactment or something. It is obvious to the discerning eye that he is also using separate accounts to jack up the bid price for pure and simple profit.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Rock

I'm waiting for the 'feedbacks' to come in on these treasures. That is of course if the seller and buyer are not the same person. :think:

Just an update, but it has been 11 days since the airborne helmet ended and I am yet to see any feedback on the transaction. Hmmmm... :think:

Far as the helmet, ya the buyer got ripped off!! but he shoudnt be let off the hook ethier that helmet dosnt look right at all! there was no reserch done on it at all!! The seller is a fraud but the buyer is an idot for not doing the research .

Seems like a lot of dummies out there with plenty of extra money to burn...just saying! You know what they say about a fool and his money. It is sellers like that that give the rest a bad name. I wish people would do their homework before dropping lots of money on gar-bage. I have seen it time and time again.

I'm waiting for the 'feedbacks' to come in on these treasures. That is of course if the seller and buyer are not the same person. :think:

I still think he was shill bidding his own items up and got stuck with them, hence no feedback. If you look at the bid history, a ZERO feedback buyer bid it up from $1275 to $1500 in the last 7 seconds of the auction. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it relisted with the excuse, "The first buyer failed to make payment so here it is again...".

He'd deserve not being able to sell them if he was such a person. Probably clever enough to use his wife's name and computer. He'd have a serious problem if buyer and seller ip addresses match. Still then, you know eBay..

He'll probably not be that lucky the second time though, you know what they say about donkeys.. Oh well, there will always be fools bidding on it.