Tiffany Cross Recipients

emccomas

OK, a couple of recently discovered photos (at least discovered by me)

The medals of John Balch, currently on display at the Navy Hospital Corpsman Hall of Honor, Bethesda Naval Hospital

post-12036-1317661462.jpg

A photo just emailed to me from VMI, showing Richard Byrd and Floyd Bennett receiving their Tiffany Crosses from President Coolidge

post-12036-1317661704.jpg

I understand that Richard Byrd's Tiffany was auctioned or sold in England around 1988. Anyone know anything about that?

Here is the cover of the Sotheby's auction catalog and the page showing his Tiffany Cross.

post-387-1317658690.jpg

Never say never! LOL Here Schilt's Tiffany Cross is being pinned directly to his jacket.

Just to keep things honest. LOL

4starchris

P.S. Both of the stone where docs in the navy. Interesting enough!

Interesting note on this particular image of Schilt. Years ago I called the Naval Archive looking for a better picture of Schilt showing the medal as the one they had listed showed it being presented much like the one of Balch. After a few phone conversations with them they found this one for me so I purchased it. About a month later after I paid for it the image showed up on the internet for free, dough! :blink:

This may be the way to find new images the Naval Archives would not otherwise be aware of. Call them requesting a pictures of the presentation to a specific person and they will look for it then maybe they will find another wonderful but forgotten image? :think:

OK, a couple of recently discovered photos (at least discovered by me)

The medals of John Balch, currently on display at the Navy Hospital Corpsman Hall of Honor, Bethesda Naval Hospital

post-12036-1317661462.jpg

A photo just emailed to me from VMI, showing Richard Byrd and Floyd Bennett receiving their Tiffany Crosses from President Coolidge

post-12036-1317661704.jpg

I understand that Richard Byrd's Tiffany was auctioned or sold in England around 1988. Anyone know anything about that?

Wohoo, a new one! That is the first time I have heard / seen John Balch's. :w00t: Thanks Ed, keep it up!

I had all those images Chris but thanks for adding them to the post! :bravo:

Just spotted a pic at Bathesda of the plaque I remembered seeing on the outside of a building, it was for Balch. :w00t:

It just keeps getting better! :twothumbup:

I imagine you do. But I thought it would be nice to post them to the thread so others can glance through them here without having to go look for them here in the forum somewhere, or out on the web.

4starchris

I agree, this is a fun thread. Here is a snapshot of the info I am collecting. I will post it for all to see when it firms up a bit more. Stay tuned.....

Tiffany Cross Recipient: Eduoard Izac

Date of action: 5/21/1918

Date of Issue: 11/11/1920

MOH Style: Tiffany Cross

Proof of TC award: Pic of recipient holding boxed TC

Location of MOH: Naval Historical Center, Washington Navy Yard

This is currently in an excel spreadsheet. I get electronic copies of the photos that are used as proof that the recipient was awarded a Tiffany Cross. Most of those photos have also been posted in this thread.

Anything else that you guys wanty to see in terms of info?

On a related note, here is a picture of the Medal of Honor on display in honor of Richard Byrd at the Virginia Military Institute. Admiral Byrd is a graduate of VMI. The MOH was provided to VMI by the Institute of Heraldry. The MOH is not named. Obviously not a Tiffany Cross.

post-12036-1317682614.jpg

post-12036-1317682724.jpg

Great photos being posted! I love the one of Byrd and Bennett, check how Byrd "missed" his top button for a stylin' long lapel. Note also Bennett as a WO doesn't have a sword knot.

Thanks for all the contributions,

Justin B.

I agree, this is a fun thread. Here is a snapshot of the info I am collecting. I will post it for all to see when it firms up a bit more. Stay tuned.....

Tiffany Cross Recipient: Eduoard Izac

Date of action: 5/21/1918

Date of Issue: 11/11/1920

MOH Style: Tiffany Cross

Proof of TC award: Pic of recipient holding boxed TC

Location of MOH: Naval Historical Center, Washington Navy Yard

This is currently in an excel spreadsheet. I get electronic copies of the photos that are used as proof that the recipient was awarded a Tiffany Cross. Most of those photos have also been posted in this thread.

Anything else that you guys wanty to see in terms of info?

Ed, have you been able to figure out what newspaper the photo of Izac is from and when? I have tried but to no avail. I figure they would have the original COLOR photo on file! Wouldn’t that be nice!? :w00t:

Ed, have you been able to figure out what newspaper the photo of Izac is from and when? I have tried but to no avail. I figure they would have the original COLOR photo on file! Wouldn’t that be nice!? :w00t:

I have not, but you are right. I'll put that on the list of things to research. :)

I assume we have all seen this photo

post-12036-1317689623.jpg

Outstanding photos guys. It's hard to believe that there is a MOH Recipient out there (after 1918) that was NOT photographed. It would be a major political blunder for the President and the Services to fail to take an offical photograph upon awarding the MOH. Photos of all recipients must be out there somewhere.

The Wharfmaster

Remembering the crew of the USS Nevada, 7 December 1941. Heroes all.

Outstanding photos guys. It's hard to believe that there is a MOH Recipient out there (after 1918) that was NOT photographed. It would be a major political blunder for the President and the Services to fail to take an offical photograph upon awarding the MOH. Photos of all recipients must be out there somewhere.

The Wharfmaster

Remembering the crew of the USS Nevada, 7 December 1941. Heroes all.

True, but keep in mind that not all MOH presentations were done by the President. Edouard Izac got his MOH from Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1920. FDR was at that time Assistant Secretary of the Navy. I am sure that official photos exist, just not as easy to find as ones with the President in them.

True, but keep in mind that not all MOH presentations were done by the President. Edouard Izac got his MOH from Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1920. FDR was at that time Assistant Secretary of the Navy. I am sure that official photos exist, just not as easy to find as ones with the President in them.

Very true. However, FDR would have been in deep "hot water" with the President had he failed to photograph a MOH Recipient.

The Wharfmaster

Well like my personal experience with the photo of Schilt at attention next to President Coolidge after having Tiffany pinned on his chest. I had to ask the naval archivist to look for a good photo for me and after several phone calls, not email, they came up with that one. And now it is available on the net for free! :blink: Sorry, that still blows me away.

So my suggestion is to call them and ask that they look for such a photo of each one we still need. The trouble with this is you can not ask for to much at once like all 17 photos we still need. You do that and your request is more likely to be filed away. Just one or two at a time per person, so if we each pick a couple of guys to call about we will most likely be successful. :think: Is any one ready to participate in this GROUP effort? I only ask because it is NOT free.

:dunno:

Needed photos of presentation for(Presidential or otherwise):

Graves, Ora

Cann, Tedford Harris

Upton, Frank Monroe

Lyle, Alexander Gordon

Sullivan, Daniel Augustus Joseph

Izac, Edward Victor Michael

Hoffman, Charles F., AKA: Ernest August Janson

Petty, Orlando Henderson

Cukela, Louis

Boone, Joel Thompson

Balch, John Henry

Hayden, David Ephraim

Kelly, John Joseph

Siegel, John Otto

Button, William Robert

Hanneken, Herman Henry

Madison, James J.

And here is the updated list of Tiffany locations.

Graves, Ora

Cann, Tedford Harris

Upton, Frank Monroe

Lyle, Alexander Gordon

Sullivan, Daniel Augustus Joseph

Izac, Edward Victor Michael

Hoffman, Charles F., AKA: Ernest August Janson

Petty, Orlando Henderson

Cukela, Louis

Boone, Joel Thompson

Balch, John Henry (1997, Bathesda Naval Hospital, Corpsman Hall of Honor)

Hammann, Charles Hazeltine

Hayden, David Ephraim

Kelly, John Joseph

Pruitt, John Henry

Talbot, Ralph

Siegel, John Otto (CA Museum, Not displayed)

Button, William Robert

Hanneken, Herman Henry

Madison, James J.

Byrd, Richard Evelyn Jr. (Sotheby sale Abt. 1988)

Bennett, Floyd (NASM)

Schilt, Christian Franklin

I am alittle confused. Some of the people on the list for pics we have pics of. Do we want the presentation photo? Is that what we are asking for?

I still need to go through some old boxes to see if I have anymore pics, in general of these reipients.

4starchris

I am alittle confused. Some of the people on the list for pics we have pics of. Do we want the presentation photo? Is that what we are asking for?

I still need to go through some old boxes to see if I have anymore pics, in general of these reipients.

4starchris

I'm with Chris on this. The photos would be nice, but what I am looking for is confirmation that a recipient received the Tiffany Cross. The following meet my criteria:

1. A photo of recipient wearing / receiving Tiffany Cross. TC must be clearly visible.

2. A photo of an engraved Tiffany Cross, with recipients name clearly visible.

3. A photo of a Tiffany Cross on display and clearly attributed to a specific recipient.

A quick count of the photos I have collected is 11 confirmed TC recipients based on the criteria listed above. Confirmation means that I have a copy of a photo that meets the above criteria. They are:

Balch

Byrd

Izac

Bennett

Schilt

Madison

Boone

Kelly

Cukela

Petty

Osborne

I am writing this quickly, so I may have missed one or two. I'll double check this later and confirm the number.

I have also eliminated Hobson and Ryan as possibles beacause I have photos at the presentation ceremonies of them with the star MOH. I "think" I may also be able to exclude Albert Smith, Schmidt, and MacKenzie, but I am waiting / looking for final confirmation that they received the star MOH originally.

Thanks for the clarification. I will now go in look in the "old" files I have had for over 20-30 years and see if I have anyone else pictured in the.

We are getting there. Slowly but surely.

4starchris

Thanks for the clarification. I will now go in look in the "old" files I have had for over 20-30 years and see if I have anyone else pictured in the.

We are getting there. Slowly but surely.

4starchris

Thanks Chris, looking forward to any photos you can locate.

Remember it was special legislation that awarded 7 MoH's and this may be where the answer lies. Did the Board not know of the two medal system ans just deemed the actions worthy of a MoH? Then someone else not knowing the two medal system pick it out of a hat per sey. Hobson was on of those and he recieved the wrong medal, non-combat, for combat actions?

4starchris

In Hobson's case, the legislation likely stemmed from the fact that it was being awarded long after the statute of limitations ran out. Also, he may have received the original-style medal because that medal's planchet (star design; no 1917-1918) was the one that existed at the time of action. Maybe that was the reasoning.

I've looked at the legislations awarding MoH's from 1919 -1942 (excluding the Unknown Soldier awards), as listed in the back of United States of America's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients and Their Official Citations and Lindbergh's and Greeley's awards are all that I saw. There wasn't any mention of the navy recipients for some reason.

I think the government's inconsistency regarding the TC awards can be chalked up to the fact that this country was still relatively young, didn't have a long tradition of decorations or awards, and that there may have been some bureaucratic inertia or confusion. Recall the Certificate of Merit not being awarded during the Civil War due to confusion over the scope of that award's criterion. The government thought it was only for the Mexican War. Then they created and discontinued a medal for it in the space of 13 years, and then authorized conversion medals in the form of the DSM and DSC, which didn't always fit. I can imagine the US government screwing up the TC awards.

Found one more. I have a picture of the engraving on a Tiffany to Robert Guy Robinson.

Forgot all about that one Ed, thanks!

:thumbsup:

post-15093-1317831514.jpg

So that is the complete official list of the 27 then!? :thumbsup: Please pardon any misspellings and errors in advance. This is just a cut and past from my old notes.

Ora Graves – 7/23/17

Osmond Kelly Ingram – 10/15/17

Tedford Harris Cann – (Traded in for star) 11/5/17

Frank Monroe Upton – (Traded in for star) 4/17/18

Alexander Gordon Lyle – 4/23/18

Daniel Augustus Joseph Sullivan – 5/21/18

Edouard Victor Michael Izac – 5/31/18

Weedon E. Osborne– 6/6/18

Charles F. Hoffman – (aka: Ernest August Janson) 6/6/18

Orlando Henderson Petty – 6/11/18

Louis Cukela – 7/18/18

Matej Kocak – (KIA) 7/18/18