Tiffany Cross Recipients

emccomas

• 4 weeks later...

post-387-0-78528900-1383921066.jpg

Dont know where I got this but I think these are Louis Cukela Double MOH and Tiffany Cross recipient.

Medal shown:

Tiffany Cross MOH

Gillispie MOH

Silver Star

Purple Heart

USMC Good Conduct

World War I Victory

World War I Army of Occupation of Germany Medal

French- Medalilie Merit medal?

French- Croix de Guerre

Belgium- Croix de Guerre

Italy- War Cross

Last One- ?

4starchris

4starchris,

Actually, those are Pvt John J. Kelly's medals. They're currently located in the WWI Gallery at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA.

I was there when his niece presented the Museum with "Uncle Johnny's medals" just before the Museum opened in 2006. She said she had all of his medals, except one. It was a British decoration he was entitled to, but Johnny, being a good Irish Catholic reportedly said, "No f - - - ing Protestant is gonna hang a medal on me." and refused to accept it. Don't know how true the story was, but it's one of their family's legends and it does make for a good story.

Here's a better picture of the medal set.

post-106351-0-03237000-1383922453.jpg

Thanks Scott for the reply and a better pic of his medals. Another Tiffany Cross medal group nicely documented and accounted for.

Semper FI

4starchris

Does anyone know of a photograph of Siegel that exists?

There's nothing in his service record? That's where I would have gone to look...

There's nothing in his service record? That's where I would have gone to look...

Nope, I have a copy of his file.

To date there is NO KNOWN photo of Siegle. Long story short, after being awarded the medal he abandon his family and went AWOL. A $50 rewired was offered and he was returned for court marshal and was booted from the service for the SECOND time. He then crisscrossed the country between Texas, Nevada, Arizona, New York, New Jersey and Wisconsin (I think it was) never staying to long in any one area and spending a lot of time seemingly living at YMCA's. He also spent the rest of his life trying to get back into the Navy a third time to no avail.

Mark D.

P.S. The most interesting tidbit I have found is that he was an iron worker on the Hover (Boulder) Dam.

4starchris,

Actually, those are Pvt John J. Kelly's medals. They're currently located in the WWI Gallery at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA.

I was there when his niece presented the Museum with "Uncle Johnny's medals" just before the Museum opened in 2006. She said she had all of his medals, except one. It was a British decoration he was entitled to, but Johnny, being a good Irish Catholic reportedly said, "No f - - - ing Protestant is gonna hang a medal on me." and refused to accept it. Don't know how true the story was, but it's one of their family's legends and it does make for a good story.

Here's a better picture of the medal set.

Great photo and even greater story. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Wow great find, and great way to revive the thread! I wonder if they still have this?

Mark

Been a while since we played with this thread Mark. Might be time to get back to it.

Ed

Been a while since we played with this thread Mark. Might be time to get back to it.

Ed

I think your right Ed!

I just drove from Central Texas to Central New York in just over 2 days. In 2 or 3 weeks I will head back to central Texas and start planing another trip to NY. I drive through parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Are there any photos from museums, grave markers, or other, we need from any of those states?

Mark

I would like pictures from fort smith ark. Darby dsc olc medal grouping. Boonelville ark. General McConnell museum and medal grouping extraordinary display. Wright Patterson AFB numerous medal grouping. Ohio. Neil Armstrong museum and medal grouping. just to start.

4starchris

• 2 weeks later...
LuftStalg1

I would like pictures from fort smith ark. Darby dsc olc medal grouping. Boonelville ark. General McConnell museum and medal grouping extraordinary display. Wright Patterson AFB numerous medal grouping. Ohio. Neil Armstrong museum and medal grouping. just to start.

4starchris

Chris,

I tried to PM you but you can not receive any more PM's. Shoot me an email or PM. I did manage to stop by the USAF museum on Dayton for a very short time. I am planing my second round trip from TX to NY and want to get some good pics for the Forum if I can.

Ed,

Are there any photos of grave sites / medals on display etc., we need for this thread or others that I might be able to get during my drive?

Mark

LuftStalg1

Just got an email from Ray Johnston of the CMOH society about the grave marker for Siegel.

Mark

"Siegel is conditionally accepted. Problem is that a rumor needs
dispelled that he was in LA in 1963. There is a death cert in 1962 and
another in WI that could both fit. I've ordered the certs. Once
available, Siegel should be golden."

Great news about Siegel grave marker, I know you have been working on this for a while.

I can't think of any museums that "might" have a Tiffany Cross on display.

Any thoughts, anybody?