My "Militaria" Attic

Finally,

Some more Early USMC Dress blues (with a 5th MarDiv navy medic) and some of the "goodies" I picked up this week.

Okay, now its updated. Thanks for looking!

Ken

post-99-1217945079.jpg

post-99-1217945086.jpg

post-99-1217945093.jpg

I am actively seeking USMC Named Good Conduct Medals and items pertaining to the USS Indianapolis CA35.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a curiosity question. Your uniforms all look very clean (and impressively neat and organized). I normally try to keep my uniforms covered in an attempt to keep dust and any insects at bay, even those on mannequins. No matter how hard I try, dust just seems to show up. Do you do anything in particular to ensure your uniforms stay clean?

Ken,

Very impressive.Outstanding display and I really like how you have arranged things.OUTSTANDING!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

RON

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Just a curiosity question. Your uniforms all look very clean (and impressively neat and organized). I normally try to keep my uniforms covered in an attempt to keep dust and any insects at bay, even those on mannequins. No matter how hard I try, dust just seems to show up. Do you do anything in particular to ensure your uniforms stay clean?

Because the room was designed specifically for the storage of wool uniforms, first and foremost there is a small mat at the foot of the stairs to keep a lot of dirt from hitting the attic in the first place. When a new uniform comes in, it is looked over for what needs to be done to it as far as cleaning - most are hand steam cleaned (if they can handle it) and lint brush rolled before even going in the room (if I don't trust the item at all, it goes in the freezer to get rid of possible critters before being cleaned - a topic for a different time).

These steps were put into place to take care of humidity, insects, and dust issues. Here we go:

- The room has four fans mounted on the floor to keep good air circulation flowing (if there are any moths, which I haven't seen one in a loooong time, this annoys the heck out of them- makes them want to go elsewhere. Circulating air also improves the air quality a bit and allows the dust to stay airborne until trapped by the next devices)

- The room has two tower air/hepa filter purifiers to keep dust down to a minimum- it's tough with an unfinished side of the attic right next door, but it helps keep dust in check. If I do see some evidence of dust that looks to be a little too much on an item, I just pop out the old lint brush.

- A single dehumidifier keeps the room at around 50-55% relative humidity during the summer months

- A single air conditioner (2 if needed) and central heat keep the temperature at around 65 -68 degrees year round.

- 3 Glade plug in air fresheners to keep the attic "wifeable" - a term I use meaning to please my wife because she hates the scent of old wool. Sure, the scent may draw some moths, but, as mentioned, with the monthly check I do on the coats, I have yet to see evidence of one fluttering or settling about.

To close, I am a bit OCD in personality, and I don't think everyone needs to go to all these lengths, but, honestly, these are fairly cheap solutions to protecting not only the value of any collection, but also preserving the longevity of historical items.

Take care,

Ken

I am actively seeking USMC Named Good Conduct Medals and items pertaining to the USS Indianapolis CA35.

Amazing collection! Especially love the USMC uniforms!

The second uniform in the USMC set (before all the M1904 dress tunics), the one with the same colour scheme as the greatcoat, what is it? The 1892 service uniform is very impressive as well.

Oh, what about the Span-Am War Army uniform? Could we see some better pictures of it? Does it have any history to it that you know of?

Once again, amazing! w00t.gif

~TS

Amazing collection! Especially love the USMC uniforms!

The second uniform in the USMC set (before all the M1904 dress tunics), the one with the same colour scheme as the greatcoat, what is it? The 1892 service uniform is very impressive as well.

Oh, what about the Span-Am War Army uniform? Could we see some better pictures of it? Does it have any history to it that you know of?

Once again, amazing! w00t.gif

~TS

The second piece is a spare cape to another early USMC great coat. I have always been looking for a second great coat of the type to mount it on...for now it just stays in the "oldies" rack.

The SAW coat is an m1898 officer's coat belonging to a first LT. from the Brooklyn 14th (later the 14th NY Volunteers). A friend of the seller was nice enough to hook me up with its research. When I purchased it, it was missing a couple of its infantry buttons and several smaller items were found in the pockets (I know...we've all heard that one before).

Because the room was designed specifically for the storage of wool uniforms, first and foremost there is a small mat at the foot of the stairs to keep a lot of dirt from hitting the attic in the first place. When a new uniform comes in, it is looked over for what needs to be done to it as far as cleaning - most are hand steam cleaned (if they can handle it) and lint brush rolled before even going in the room (if I don't trust the item at all, it goes in the freezer to get rid of possible critters before being cleaned - a topic for a different time).

These steps were put into place to take care of humidity, insects, and dust issues. Here we go:

- The room has four fans mounted on the floor to keep good air circulation flowing (if there are any moths, which I haven't seen one in a loooong time, this annoys the heck out of them- makes them want to go elsewhere. Circulating air also improves the air quality a bit and allows the dust to stay airborne until trapped by the next devices)

- The room has two tower air/hepa filter purifiers to keep dust down to a minimum- it's tough with an unfinished side of the attic right next door, but it helps keep dust in check. If I do see some evidence of dust that looks to be a little too much on an item, I just pop out the old lint brush.

- A single dehumidifier keeps the room at around 50-55% relative humidity during the summer months

- A single air conditioner (2 if needed) and central heat keep the temperature at around 65 -68 degrees year round.

- 3 Glade plug in air fresheners to keep the attic "wifeable" - a term I use meaning to please my wife because she hates the scent of old wool. Sure, the scent may draw some moths, but, as mentioned, with the monthly check I do on the coats, I have yet to see evidence of one fluttering or settling about.

To close, I am a bit OCD in personality, and I don't think everyone needs to go to all these lengths, but, honestly, these are fairly cheap solutions to protecting not only the value of any collection, but also preserving the longevity of historical items.

Take care,

Ken

Great ideas for the moth issue.

I just nailed with a bucnh of the little buggers...did a bit of damage but did not hit the good stuff.

That is one hell of a room/attic.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Curator/Owner Ghost Squadron Military Museum,

Curator, South Alberta Light Horse Regimental Museum

Collector of;
U.S. Infantry, uniforms, and equipment, 1860 to 1950, Primarily the 41st and 88th Infantry Divisions of WW1 and WW2, United States Army Air Force, Anything B-17 Flying Fortress related, National Guard of Pennsylvania, Royal Canadian Air Force, 4th Canadian Armored division. Springfield Armory firearms, U.S. military firearms in general.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• 1 year later...

What was once organized is now overcome yet again :). I am a sucker for a good deal, so I just finished a deal two weeks ago to purchase another entire collection of uniforms, medals, insignia, what have you. My USMC room has been overcome by the Army once more- the BBT (big brown truck) dropped off 14 boxes all filled to the hilt. So much for a "neat, organized and appealing" collection room. Oh well, a lot of good material for the website when I get around to posting them.

Ken

post-99-1264958668.jpg

post-99-1264958681.jpg

Last one: before I let any new items to the collection go into the room, they get a good cleaning. These are this week's items, highlighted by a virtual stack of material from an 82nd Airborne, 24th Airborne, 11th Airbrone mid-late 1950's veteran. I clean, catalog by tagging them, and then, every Saturday morning before the kids are up and running, I pull out a uniform and go to town on research. The research is my true fun - trying to bring these historical artifacts "back to life".

Okay...I'm done. :D

Ken

PS- some of the ones below are on the way to a relative who is just starting to get bitten by the collecting bug.

How do I get to be a relative?

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Awesome collection and great way to display your items. I have read and reread this thread and have even showed my wife as an example of how I want to set up my "war" basement. Amazing.

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

That is just an amazing collection and displayed/organized so well. I find that more funds than I would like to spend end up going to buying pieces used to display my items. I enjoy how everything looks so "uniform" in your collection --that you don't have different colored racks of different heights mashed up against one another. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...