2nd Lt George R. Baxter 49th Aero Sq. badge+

LuftStalg1

Here is an interesting one. I understood the Officers wore the enameled badges and Noncoms wore the plane silver badges? :think: Also the barrel catch seems a bit too modern for this badge to me, any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110749564407?ssPag...49#ht_500wt_716

From the posting:

ORIGINAL ULTRA RARE WWI PILOT GROUPING WITH ENGRAVED VICTORY MEDAL BARS & 49TH AERO SQUADRON PIN. Bought from veterans estate. Rare items from one of the relatively few WWI combat pilots with an aerial victory. 2nd Lt George R. Baxter joined the 49th Aero Squadron overseas on 8/14/18. According to the unit history, while piloting his Spad "on October 23rd at 13:10 in the region of Montfaucon, altitude 4800 meters, he saw 4 allied AAA puffs so he climbed and headed for the sun where he saw a Rumpler headed toward lines. Dove from in front and above Rumpler firing 70 rounds from right gun. Tracers were seen to enter motor and fuselage. Both guns jammed so he viraged off cleared guns and attacked again, this time from below, firing 30 rounds. Guns jammed again and he was unable to clear them. Rumpler seen with dead stick going down in a slow spiral well inside our lines". Grouping consists of: his ultra rare 49th Aero Squadron badge - approx 1" diameter, pinback and engraved with pilots name - beautifully made with exquisite details, the only other one I've ever seen was in a photo of another 49th pilot wearing one on his uniform in the "New England Aviators" books. WWI victory medal with silver citation star and 3 bars - 2 bars period engraved on back - "Lt Geo R. Baxter 49th Aero Squadron". Numbered NY Service medal with partial original box, Verdun medal with ribbon bar and original box. 2 victory medal ribbons with stars, 2 large studio photos in uniform wearing wings. Original photo in uniform with family, 4 original 1.75" X 2.75" photos of pilot in flight gear, his Spad with crew, his Spad with himself and crew. Also 46 original negatives, many of which I had made into prints, great shots of Baxter in uniform, with pilots, with various aircraft, aerial shots, etc..... Lastly a photo copy of much of the 49th unit history with mentions of Baxter, and copies of various combat reports some of which mention Baxter. Rare grouping with some nearly unique items! Thinning out a lifetime aviation collection, don't miss out! Guaranteed original!

post-15093-1317078791.jpg

OMG it sold for $3499.99!!!!

I suspect that if people thought the badge/medal was valid, it would have sold for more to some heavy collectors. I have no real idea if it is good or not, but my feeling is :thumbdown:

I am especially suspect of the victory medal engraving. How many OTHER victory medals have you seen engraved like this--with not only the name BUT the unit designation?

But those are only my totally uneducated guesses.

Patrick

I suspect that if people thought the badge/medal was valid, it would have sold for more to some heavy collectors. I have no real idea if it is good or not, but my feeling is :thumbdown:

I am especially suspect of the victory medal engraving. How many OTHER victory medals have you seen engraved like this--with not only the name BUT the unit designation?

But those are only my totally uneducated guesses.

Patrick

Good point Patrick! I also just noticed there is no oxidation to the engraved bars. :think: I would think that after all these years the engraving should darken a bit as well? :dunno: Yup, just the fact that only one person bid and won gives me even more pause. :ermm: