1" Coast Guard CPO Insignias

hirsca

Final post for this weekend's estate sale finds. A nice pair of CG E7 CPO insignia. The shields are marked STERLING on the reverse, but no maker's marks. Smaller sized, so I presume that they are for wearing on the collars and garrison caps. All four clutches are marked BALLOU REG'D and have eight dimples. Clutches presume post war, but can anyone help with the maker or era? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1316985453.jpg

post-12790-1316985464.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The topic set are for collar insignia. There is a larger size that is made exclusively for the Garrison cover. If you would like I can make a comparison scan of the two. Your collar insignia are relatively recent.

I have a set of the first pattern collar insignia(1959 I think) that look very much like the cap insignia placed dpscdan(the line goes around both flukes of the Anchor and back behind the sheild). I use them on my tropical blue uniform now.

The topic set are for collar insignia. There is a larger size that is made exclusively for the Garrison cover. If you would like I can make a comparison scan of the two. Your collar insignia are relatively recent.

I have a set of the first pattern collar insignia(1959 I think) that look very much like the cap insignia placed dpscdan(the line goes around both flukes of the Anchor and back behind the sheild). I use them on my tropical blue uniform now.

Thanks PaulR. Since I got these along with a lot of WW2 items from the

WW2 veteran's estate, and looking at the dates shown on the pic posted by dpcsdan, could these be from the war era, post 1942, but still during WW2? Thanks, Al.

Thanks PaulR. Since I got these along with a lot of WW2 items from the

WW2 veteran's estate, and looking at the dates shown on the pic posted by dpcsdan, could these be from the war era, post 1942, but still during WW2? Thanks, Al.

I think that your hat badge is definitely WW2 or earlier.

I was just saying the collar insignia did not come out until 1959, and they were the same pattern(looking at the way the lines were configured around the Anchor) as the WW2 Combination Covers, but of course the hat insignia is much larger.

Also, we do have a garrison cover anchor, but it's size is between that of the Combination Cover(Visored hat) and the collar insignia. There are now three sizes of the CPO insignia now.

• 2 years later...

Paul,

I would be interested in seeing a comparison and timeline for the various Coast Guard devices when you time.

Tim

Did the Coast Guard follow the Navy with the implementation of the garrsion (overseas style) cap in 1944?

The Navy authorized the cap as optional but the CPO cap device was the same (size & pattern) as that used on the combination style cap, at lease initially. Does anyone know when the smaller size anchor came out specifically for the garrison cap and was it the same for the Coast Guard?

Tim,

i think that I have a publication that goes over the three types of Senior Chief and Master Chief anchors. I will see what I can find for you. I do know that the latest and current types were created in the early 2000s.

I have a WW2 era CPO uniform set that comes with a black garrison cover and anchor.

I will have to dig it out and see what the sizes are.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Some more details on the one in question sent via PM tonight. The one pinback device I have is 1 3/16" H x 13/16" W at the widest point.

Tim