manayunkman

USMC .45 ?? holster

I just picked this holster up Friday at the flea market. No marks on it other than the Marines name stamped on the inside and USMC on the flap. Was this for a mounted Marine ? Is it rare ? Been collecting for 40 + years and never had one before.

Thanks for your help

M.

post-51189-1316972935.jpg

donation2013.gif

A mounted marine? Sea-horses?! ;):lol:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

A nice find since they go $500+ on the retail market. Mounted have swivel attachment.

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Check this link. What you have there is a long-drop dismounted holster. Very desirable find!

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=806

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Sabrejet,

Nice sense of humor. :huh: You wouldn't happen to live near Shropshire which is near Whales ?

Why is this holster configured this way ? What purpose did it serve ?

M

donation2013.gif

The asking price for ones that look quite beat up is $750-800 these days. Here's a an ebay sale from a few years back:

m1912holster.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

see pp 363-367 of E S Meadows'US MILITARY HOLSTERS AND PISTOL CARTRIDGE BOXES for information, as well as photos of pre-WW1 marines wearing this pattern holster.

see pp 363-367 of E S Meadows'US MILITARY HOLSTERS AND PISTOL CARTRIDGE BOXES for information, as well as photos of pre-WW1 marines wearing this pattern holster.

I do not own this book but I sure would like to know what it says.

Thanks

M

donation2013.gif

The asking price for ones that look quite beat up is $750-800 these days. Here's a an ebay sale from a few years back:

post-214-1316981872.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I knew this was rare but in an uninformed way.

Thanks

M

donation2013.gif

My Great Uncle, Private Peter George Green, Co. B, 13th Marines wearing one of these holsters in France 1918.

Pgg09.jpg

Great photo. I love his boots. Rubber ?

Why was this holster made this way anyone know ?

M

donation2013.gif

Sabrejet,

Nice sense of humor. :huh: You wouldn't happen to live near Shropshire which is near Whales ?

Why is this holster configured this way ? What purpose did it serve ?

M

Whales live in the ocean...I live in Wales ;) Shropshire is just across the border in England, about a couple of hours north of here.

I'm sure the USMC and gun guys can answer your question better than I.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

The holster is on a swivel so it will hang straight down when seated on a horse. Having the pistol hanging straight down makes it easier to draw the pistol when you need to use it to shoot bad guys.

donation2013.gif

GOD Bless Texas And All That Serve Her

The holster is on a swivel so it will hang straight down when seated on a horse. Having the pistol hanging straight down makes it easier to draw the pistol when you need to use it to shoot bad guys.

This holster has no swivel.

donation2013.gif

Correct, no swivel. I have heard various explanations for the holster, it was designed so that the flap could be curled back over and snapped upside down on the stud exposing the pistol for quicker use (sort of a military fast draw) and hung lower on the body so it was easier to draw quickly. I had one many years ago and it does make it much easier to draw in an emergency although of course it is much less secure. Possibly some of the holster gurus can give a more definitive explanation for this holster design.

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

A mounted marine? Sea-horses?! ;):lol:

Not so fast Sabrejet....there were "Mounted Marines". They were referred to as "Horse Marines". They guarded Marine Depot's and other Marine Facilities. I have a collection of Artwork from "The Unknown Marine Corps Artist of Guadalcanal" who was later identified as Elmer Smith. His brother lives four houses down from me and has given me his military items. Including a book of drawings from WWII and some are from when he served in the Horse Marines. Very unique and very sharp looking rigs....meaning the saddle set up and all the horse gear and the Marine uniform worn while on duty.

Thus...Mounted Marines. :D

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Whales live in the ocean...I live in Wales ;) Shropshire is just across the border in England, about a couple of hours north of here.

I'm sure the USMC and gun guys can answer your question better than I.

Whales and sea horses live together. Just trying to get you back. All in fun.

M

donation2013.gif

Whales and sea horses live together. Just trying to get you back. All in fun.

M

Touchez!! :lol:

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Not so fast Sabrejet....there were "Mounted Marines". They were referred to as "Horse Marines". They guarded Marine Depot's and other Marine Facilities. I have a collection of Artwork from "The Unknown Marine Corps Artist of Guadalcanal" who was later identified as Elmer Smith. His brother lives four houses down from me and has given me his military items. Including a book of drawings from WWII and some are from when he served in the Horse Marines. Very unique and very sharp looking rigs....meaning the saddle set up and all the horse gear and the Marine uniform worn while on duty.

Thus...Mounted Marines. :D

I learn something new each day on this forum! :thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

As Sabrejet pointed out this holster is usually (or officially?) called "M1912 dismounted holster" just because swivel was quite weak and unuseful for people having no horse. The Army version is real scarce and up to now the few I've examined were all made by HOYT and dated 1918, but the USMC model is a real hen toot. Note that Army and USMC dismounted are not identical. if you look at the back you can see Army model has the usual leatjher attachement for the belt hook riveted and stitched and flap integral with the body while the USMC model is exactly the opposite, integral hook attachement and stitched flap. I cannot see a decent reason for that. Moreover this latter shows no manufacturer markings or year. Both holsters have a riveted steel plate bent as a tube to preserve leather from friction with the hook as in early M1910 gears. In the pics my Army Hoyt dismounted when appeared years ago on ebay and an USMC from some web page.

post-67-1317048347.jpg

post-67-1317048363.jpg

post-67-1317048408.jpg

Thanks artu44. I have a better understanding of this rare piece of equipment. Can I ask you what the expression " hen toot " means ? I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

M

donation2013.gif

Thanks artu44. I have a better understanding of this rare piece of equipment. Can I ask you what the expression " hen toot " means ? I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

M

A hen's tooth or better yet duck's lips. Hard to find!

I believe the USMC depot made the holsters hence no markings.

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

This holster has no swivel.

My mistake. Bifocal issue.

donation2013.gif

GOD Bless Texas And All That Serve Her

My mistake. Bifocal issue.

Shall we follow SAC policy on this one...NO

Forgiven

M

donation2013.gif

BTW IMHO the USMC dismounted must be a pre WWI issue cause it has features you can find in the regular M1912 (i.e. the leg strap with buckle but quite strangely no drain grommet) while the Army version. being born when the M1916 was the regular production, it's simply an M1916 assembled with this peculiar attachement. If you'll tear away the attachement you'll have an ordinary M1916 body from WWI era.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.