Would You Have Been Drafted?

mgkusmc

111...Ill see my fellow forum members in the jungle!

Not Necessarily so.

In 1970 I was 1A, in college, and my number was 111. Naturally I got my "greetings and order to report" in the mail. However, a week later I got another letter which said they had issued the induction order out of sequence and were cancelling my induction. About a month later a student deferment showed up. Wierd.

General Apathy

I drew # 95, so I would have been gone.

Pleased to see that several of the members have already mentioned ' Country Joe & the Fish ' :lol:

Well come on all you big strong men, Uncle Sam needs your help again,

got himself in a terrible jam way down yonder in Viet-Nam,

Put down your books and pick up a gun, we are going to have a whole lot of fun

and it's 1-2-3 What are we fighting for, don't ask me I don't give a damn whoopee next stop is Viet-Nam

and it's 5-6-7 Open up those pearly gates, ain't no time to wonder why whoopee we are all gonna die.

Classic time frame tune, long hair, headbands, girls, sun, fun and stuff, I remember a girl very often mentioned amongst friends, most people appeared to know her Mary Jane Whana. ??? pinch.gif

Cheers ( Lewis )

110 for me - off to fight for Uncle Sam

I was born on a familiar date too.... June 6 a few years later though.....

My dad was initially drafted into the US Marines. This was in late 1969. True story. He was sworn into the marines, and was waiting for the bus to carry him to Parris Island. There was a bad snow that year and the bus was snowed in somewhere in SC. The marine recruiter did not want to stay at the station with all the draftee's that evening when he could go home to sleep. He called the Fort Bragg truck and yelled out, "any one want to join the army??" and off to Fort Bragg my dad went.

Honest to goodness True story

Was in the tank divisions in the "Big Red One" had the m48's and m60 tanks.

Far enough up there that I wouldn't have been stuck there... although I'm sure I'm just the type of idiot to volunteer! Hippies or Marines, who do I like more? This isn't really a tough one...

~TS

From reading many of these posts, it seems a lot of people don't know that just because you were drafted during the Viet Nam War, didn't necessarily mean you would be shipped to Viet Nam. Remember, the Cold War was in full swing all during that time and we had thousands of troops in Korea, Europe and many other places. How many Army divisons were in Germany during those year? Draftees served all over the world in that time frame, not just southeast Asia.