Would You Have Been Drafted?

mgkusmc

Enlisted underage (16) in the 1950s, so could not be drafted as I was 4-A (prior service). My father was discharged in 1938 as he concealed his marital status, then was drafted to the U.S. Navy in 1942 and discharged for poor health, sent to prison for having eight wives and was drafted in 1943 to the U.S. Army, true story! think.gif

post-837-1197059334.jpg

Enlisted underage (16) in the 1950s, so could not be drafted as I was 4-A (prior service). My father was discharged in 1938 as he concealed his marital status, then was drafted to the U.S. Navy in 1942 and discharged for poor health, sent to prison for having eight wives and was drafted in 1943 to the U.S. Army, true story! think.gif

8 Wives !? How many brothers and sisters do you have ? w00t.gif

This is from the SELECTIVE SERVICE SYSTEM WEB SITE - http://www.sss.gov/

The lottery drawing held 1 Dec 1969 determined the order in which men born from 1944 through 1950 were called to report for induction into the military.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter1.htm

The lottery drawing held 1 Jul 1970 determined the order in which men born in 1951 were called to report for induction into the military.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter2.htm

The lottery drawing held 5 Aug 1971 determined the order in which men born in 1952 were called to report for induction into the military.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter3.htm

The lottery drawing held 2 Feb 1972 determined the order in which men born in 1953 were called to report for induction into the military.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter4.htm

My brother's lottery numbers were 107, 328 and 269. None were drafted. Hubby just missed all this fun by being born in 1954.

• 4 weeks later...

In 1970 I sweated through the draft, playing on the radio, sitting outside at an A&W Root beer Stand where my girl friend worked, (I was in the 200's) only to find out many , many years later when I started collecting militaria and found out about the " Sullivan Act" Both my only brothers were already in Vietnam , so I most likely would not have ended up anywhere near there. How ironic !!!!!

Regards, Mitch

330...seems about right for me.

Keeping up with the military tradition of my family, in the middle of track & field season of my senior year in high school, 1989, I contacted my local Marine recruiter with the intention of training as a sniper. I took a few early non-committal aptitude tests, and it was suggested that I qualify myself as a platoon leader or potential officer candidate. A month or so later I took part in a state sponsored biathlon & rifle shoot and outscored every participant with an old Finnish battle rifle, including several expert riflemen who were in attendance. A few days after that I went out for a run with the recruiter to "practice" some PT requirements - he couldn't keep up...I was loving that. The next month I took a preliminary physical, and that was all she wrote. Legally blind with a partially rebuilt knee and plates in my leg from an accident as an early teen, and I was no longer "marine" material. In that moment, five family generations of military commitment abruptly ended.

So, needless to say, when I did the "draft" site, I was not surprised that my number would be a high one. I guess I wasn't intended to be in the military in any era :).

Ken

• 1 month later...

Found some interesting things about the draft here:

The Draft - History & Records

http://www.sss.gov/HIST.HTM

For our overseas friends, notice that permanent resident legal and illegal aliens and refugees still have to register and could get drafted, just like back during the Viet Nam War:

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

Check this out guys, ever wonder if you would have been drafted for service during Vietnam? Check out this generator that tells you if you would have been drafted

http://www.backwash.com/content_frame.php?...p;retPath=top40

A score of 196 or below means you would have to report for service in the united states military. A score of 197 and above you are safe.

Mike Kirby

P.S. My score was 024 guess I'll see ya in the jungle...

I was 141. Interestingly enough, I was in the US Navy, on a carrier off Yankee Station. We had not had mail in two months. We had just recovered a COD (Mail Plane) after getting off an Alpha strike. The two pieces of mail I got were a "Dear John" from my then girl friend, and a letter from the State of Nebraska informing me that a warrent for my arrest had been issued for not regeristing for the draft ( I enlisted at 17). It was sent to me, on the ship, using my Navy address. I went to personnel and offered to do my civic duty and return to Omaha and face the cahrges, but they took the letter, said they would take care of it and to get back to the flight deck and load bombs.

Steve Hesson

• 2 weeks later...

My birthdate gave me a number of 362 but the whole thing is OBE for me.

By December of 1969 I had alreadt joined the Marines, served in Vietnam, came home and been discharged for over a year. crying.gif

1. On being drafted into the USMC: In 1967, a friend of mine reported for induction, expwecting to be sworn in and get on the bus for Army Basic Tng, like everybody else known to him. The last stop at the Induction Center had a navy yeoman who announced that the lot of scumbags standing there had a great opportunity. Then, his clipboards was takne over by a USMC MSgt Sullivan who appeared out of nowhere. He put on granny glasses, scanned the roster and started calling out surnames -- all of them IRISH! "Murphy", "Conroy", "Donlon", "Kelly", "Gallagher", "Gorey", "McKeon", "O'Connor", "Herlihy" -- take one step forward! Then he peered over his glasses, to see that Murphy was Big and Black and that Conroy was Little and Black. "Conroy, forget it! Murphy! You a high school grad? (Yes) Gotta police record? (Nothing serious, one juvie thing) "Play any ball? (Linebacker, All-City 1966). "OK, you're mine!" The yeoman then reminded him that he needed three more... He looked back at the roster. "Zalewski, Petradopoulos and Gonzales! Step out, lemme get a gander!" "Gonzalez, how tall are you? Whadda ya weigh?" (Five foot four, 90 pounds) "OK, good enough, welcome to the Corps!" My friend was Gorey and the Sarge grabbed him out of line as they filed to the bus. "Gorey, you any kin to Francis Austin Gorey from Lawndale, who served with me at Chosin?" (No, sir, I don't think I have any relatives from there..) "No matter, he was a fine Marine and I am sure you will not shame the name!" Though trained as an infantryman and mortarman, Gorey served at DaNang as an avionics repairman and company clerk., both OJT.

ItemCo16527
1. On being drafted into the USMC: In 1967, a friend of mine reported for induction, expwecting to be sworn in and get on the bus for Army Basic Tng, like everybody else known to him. The last stop at the Induction Center had a navy yeoman who announced that the lot of scumbags standing there had a great opportunity. Then, his clipboards was takne over by a USMC MSgt Sullivan who appeared out of nowhere. He put on granny glasses, scanned the roster and started calling out surnames -- all of them IRISH! "Murphy", "Conroy", "Donlon", "Kelly", "Gallagher", "Gorey", "McKeon", "O'Connor", "Herlihy"......

I used to work with a man named Ahearn who had something similar happen. He showed up for induction and was told all the slots for the Army were filled so he was going to the Marines. I wonder if MSgt. Sullivan was up to his old tricks think.gif

I drew 029... That means I would have walked in the jungle as wel... :huh: (if I was American, that is... whistling.gif )

Pretty scary thought, though!

rgds

Bart P.

Read the whole post. Even if you were not American, if you were a permanent resident here (legal, or illegal) you could have been drafted. w00t.gif

Forgot #2 in earlier post: At Ft Riley in 1967, we had two medics, both of whom were legal aliens who were surprised to be drafted. One, SP4 Bailey, was from Ireland, had been in Boston for seven months and working as a night janitor for a bank when he got his draft notice. He had trouble figuring it out and thought it must be a joke. After a week or more had passed, he tracked down the draft board and dropped by to straighten it out before going to work. The draft board people detained him and a city cop accompanied him on the walk to the induction center. He was allowed one phone call to call his work and give his regrets. After basic at Ft Dix, he went to the bank to say "Hi" and they told him he was fired! He actually LIKED the Army, appreciated the chance at higher education (Basic Bandaid) and looked forward to GI Bill eligibility; unfortunately, he was on orders for VN. The other guy was Castaner, a Basque from France! He got drafted after being turned down for enlistment in the USAF -- because his English was not good enough. He HATED the Army and spoke of deserting to Canada. The 1st Sgt was trying to get Bailey's orders switched to Castaner and send Bailey to Korea or Okinawa instead.

In 1971, I was in the downtown Philadelphia PA draft board when two Koreans came in. One had received a notice to report for testing (not actual induction); the other guy came along to interpret. Chatting, they said they had no idea that green card aliens were ELIGIBLE to ENLIST in US forces, let alone be drafted. Longer story shorter: Both of them, and a third relative I spoke on the phone with, enlisted that day. One, having a year of college in Korea, signed up to be a Warrant Officer candidate helicopter pilot. The second guy was actually an ex-ROK, draftee artilleryman and KATUSA; he was married so opted to join the PA Natl Gd -- he got E-4 as prior svc. The third guy joined the Marine Reserve aviation unit at Willow Grove; his parents had been saved by Marines in the Inchon area, so they would be proud of him, and he always wanted to fly.

The yeoman then reminded him that he needed three more... He looked back at the roster. "Zalewski, Petradopoulos and Gonzales! Step out, lemme get a gander!"

With my russian last name, Paddy would have picked me for the Corps... fear.gif no fancy in-country made tapes and SSI for me... crybaby.gif

234!!! but when I didn't register in 1973 it was amazing how quickly the local board found me and made me aware of the foolishness of my ways, --- i tricked them and enlisted...besides, I figured Parris Island had to be easier than college math...look how wrong you can be...pass me another can of spiced beef or

ham and Lima beans....anybody want to trade these Newports for some Winstons?

ItemCo16527
With my russian last name, Paddy would have picked me for the Corps... fear.gif no fancy in-country made tapes and SSI for me... crybaby.gif

Probably not. Unless, you were an advisor to the VNMC. Then you'd be in custom insignia heaven! :)

hochiminhtrail

hello Andrei,

in 1991 i remember a french foreign legionaire " german origin" who was a chief NCO at Augagne in the 4th Regt , he had a picture on the wall of him serving in vietnam, but i cant remember if he was in US army or mercenary, the office he served was called the GESTAPO, because it was mostly handled by germans after the WWII i guess, its the screening buro, were you are asked a tons of questions, to see the reason why you are coming to the FFL.

My father who was in the USA during the VN war also almost got drafted, he had the choice to go to the service or leave, my grandfather told him to move his a.. asap back to Europe.

Cheers

Alex

PS my score is something like 260, i think i m not even a REMF.

Cheers

Alex

That guy could be the one who was Marine in Vietnam. He was in charge of the 2REI MP platoon in Corte when my cousin was there. He was very well known and a hell of a streetfighter, bar brawler and a super nazi ! naughty.gif