2011 Redding (CA) Air Show

zepher11

My wife and I attended our local air show today. Even though we're in a fairly small population area, the headline act was the US Air Force Thunderbirds. Hats off to the organizers of this air show. This show is held every other year with the Chico, CA air show held in the off years. The best thing was that the tempeture was around 95 degrees. Two years ago the temp was like 110 and it was a bit hot out on the ol' tarmac!

I was thinking that they may be some extra precautions due to the Reno tragedy, but there were none. It seemed like I was right on the runway when the T-Birds performed. I'll post a link of several short videos of them performing. They were awesome... :thumbsup:

I have a lousy camera, but I took some shots and the videos I mentioned above to see if I could get anything good. Here are a couple of the displays:

F/A 18 as we walked in:

post-24058-1316917545.jpg

North American T-6 Texan:

post-24058-1316917618.jpg

I actually scored the Texan in flight and it came out pretty good:

post-24058-1316917698.jpg

Here is a picture of Sizzing Liz a P-51 Mustang out of Reno. I had the honor of going on about a 30 minute flight in this plane a number of years back. I consider this experience as one of the highlights of my life. The other was sitting in the Bombardier's seat right after lifting off in a B-17. Here are some shots of Sizzling Liz:

post-24058-1316918714.jpg

post-24058-1316918735.jpg

Here is the C-17 Globemaster. Now this is not only handy for moving mass amounts of material, but it provides some great shade as well... :w00t:

post-24058-1316918983.jpg

Here is a T-33 Shooting Star that performed:

post-24058-1316919074.jpg

There was also an awesome demonstration by a F/A 18 Hornet from the Canadian Air Force. There were also a lot of other perfomers not US military related at the show. Overall, it was a fun show. I won't post the picture of it, but it put on a heck of a show! There also were a number of US military vehicles as well. I might post the photos over on the vehicle thread.

Here is the link to the Thunderbird video clips I took. They are short, but kinda gives one an idea how close we were to them and the awesome power of these machines. Here is the LINK.

Thanks for looking,

Zeph