Flower "pot"

notinfringed

Hello All

I thought it would be fun to start a topic on U.S. militaria that is being used in an odd way. For example, in Gettysburg there is a cannon buried halfway, barrel down. I assume this was used as a hitching post, but I'm not sure. I didn't get a picture. Mabey someone else did?

Here is one that is in my collection now. The woman I purchased this from said her Mother used it as a flower pot for years. She thought it looked pretty painted red.

post-2011-1195421262.jpg

post-2011-1195421245.jpg

Has anyone else seen anything odd, or just plain funny out there?

Levi

I have seen many helmets used as flower pots. US, German, Japanese, French, etc.. As a matter of fact I came across a WWII German helmet turned into an outdoor flower pot at an estate auction a week ago. It had holes drilled in the top for water drainage. I do not know how many years that had been hanging on the back porch. All that stuff was just junk in the 1950's not worth a tinkers damn. Ah for the good old days.

Steve

Years ago a friend of mine turned up a german Fallschirjaeger helmet that had been turned into a hanging planter by gutting the liner out and adding three chains that met on a hook - I chinged when I saw it, you could still see the decal through the corrosion. crying.gif

Why cringe at that? Sure it would be nice not to have it turned into a flower pot but remember this is a unique piece it not only shows WW2 GERMAN but also post WW2 1950s AMERICAN culture....how often do you get that with one piece. LoL

Why cringe at that? Sure it would be nice not to have it turned into a flower pot but remember this is a unique piece it not only shows WW2 GERMAN but also post WW2 1950s AMERICAN culture....how often do you get that with one piece. LoL

My wife's uncle brought home a large Nazi party banner, which he used as bedding for his dog. When I brought up value, he said that it was serving its best purpose.

here's another one. Downtown Fairbanks. Steel military "Marston's Mat" Runway planks being used as parking dividers. :lol:

post-2011-1195541996.jpg

Levi

I had to add my Garden art to the mix.

What an unfortunate use of history.

My Mother-in-law gave this too me a year back. Nicest thing she ever did for me...... think.gif

pmshindy

post-1704-1195846380.jpg post-1704-1195846402.jpg

Here's a ladybug made out of an M1. This one was on eBay a while back. I am planning on making one of these for my Mom one day..she likes ladybugs for some odd reason.

post-1940-1196309707.jpg

Here's a ladybug made out of an M1. This one was on eBay a while back. I am planning on making one of these for my Mom one day..she likes ladybugs for some odd reason.

post-1940-1196309707.jpg

I think that you have it all wrong. This is the very rare M1-F that was used by the 1st SSF. I have one, but it is missing the legs.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
VAWARMEMORIAL

There is a cannon hitching post here in Richmond....... Its right in the middle of the sidewalk on Cary street just past 13th street.... cheers

Years ago a friend of mine turned up a german Fallschirjaeger helmet that had been turned into a hanging planter by gutting the liner out and adding three chains that met on a hook - I chinged when I saw it, you could still see the decal through the corrosion. crying.gif

Eek.. if they only could have foreseen the crazy high prices of those helmets today, they may have rethought that idea. think.gif