USS Cyclops Fate?

uplandmod

Weird story - especially so in that her two sister ships also disappeared and were carrying similar cargo.

I'd have to think that someday the wreckage of one of them will be located... By accident probably, by some cable laying ship or some such thing, in it's normal duties.

Seems like every year some ship somewhere gets found. Looks at subs alone, there have been what, three or four located in the last several years? Now granted those have been in what is probably much more shallow water, but still.

MW

Yup, sounds like another case of the "Little Green Guys" taking them to another "Demention" ( Twilight Zone music inserted here ) Di di didi di di ............... :o

Johnny

Get a copy of The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved by Larry Kusche. One of the "mysteries" he covers is the U.S.S. Cyclops. Interesting read.

They put Load Lines on ships for a reason. When you exceed maximum, bad things happen. No mystery here.

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

canadian bacon
Get a copy of The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved by Larry Kusche. One of the "mysteries" he covers is the U.S.S. Cyclops. Interesting read.

yes i highly recomend this it is truely an amazing read and as someone whos second passion is shipwrecks thats saying some thing

cheers michael

canadian bacon
The ship also features in Clive Cussler's novel 'Cyclops'.

love the book and its by my all time favorite author i think i will go read it now actually

cheers michael

Weird story - especially so in that her two sister ships also disappeared and were carrying similar cargo.

I'd have to think that someday the wreckage of one of them will be located... By accident probably, by some cable laying ship or some such thing, in it's normal duties.

Seems like every year some ship somewhere gets found. Looks at subs alone, there have been what, three or four located in the last several years? Now granted those have been in what is probably much more shallow water, but still.

MW

That is funky indeed! I never knew about these before now. It really gets you scratching your head. I wonder if there was an inherent flaw in the design of the ships, causing a structural failure depending on load layout.

-Ski