High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Documents

Coastal Squadron Three

(COMCOSRON THREE)

Coastal Squadron THREE was established at Cam Ranh Bay, Republic of Vietnam, October 1968 under the command of CDR A. G. Hodge (see note 1). The next Squadron Commander (see note 2) was CDR Charles F. Horne, who served until 1 July 1969 when he was relieved at Cam Ranh Bay by CDR Charles A. Dodd. Cdr Dodd immediately returned to San Diego, California as the home port of the Squadron shifted from Cam Ranh Bay to San Diego on 1 July 1969 concurrent with the change of command. The three Patrol Gunboats in Vietnam, USS ASHEVILLE (PG-84), USS GALLUP (PG-85), USS CROCKETT (PG-88) came under the Administrative Command of Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO, established on 1 July 1969 at Cam Ranh Bay with a homeport of Guam, Marianna Islands, LCDR John R. Swain Commanding. LCDR Swain was the former Chief Staff Officer of Coastal Squadron THREE. The Patrol Gunboats in San Diego, USS ANTELOPE (PG-86), USS READY (PG-87), USS MARATHON (PG-89) and USS CANON (PG-90) are assigned CCR-3

Notes:

1. CDR A. G. Hodge is identified as CCR-3 in the USS MARATHON (PG-89) Commissioning Program.

2. Date of change of command is presently unknown.

2 Nov 1969: USS ANTELOPE (PG-86) and USS READY (PG-87) depart San Diego for Guam; assigned to CCD-32, homeport Guam.

14 November 1969: Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO staff moves to U. S. Naval Station, Guam.

17 Dec 1969: LCDR Edwin J. Knapp relieves LCDR John R. Swain as Commander Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO.

26 Jan 1970: USS CANON departs San Diego for Guam; assigned to CCD-32, homeport Guam.

2 Jun 1970: USS MARATHON (PG-89) departs San Diego for Guam; assigned to CCD-32, homeport Guam.

1 Aug 1970: USS TACOMA (PG-92) and USS WELCH (PG-93) depart San Diego for Guam; assigned to CCD-32, homeport Guam.

1 OCT 1970: USS DEFIANCE (pg-95) and USS SURPRISE (PG-97) depart San Diego for Little Creek VA; assigned to Commander Amphibious Force Atlantic Fleet.

1 Jan 1971: The homeports for Commander Coastal Squadron THREE is changed to Guam and the homeport for Commander Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO is changed to San Diego. CDR Charles A. Dodd, Commander Coastal Squadron THREE, LCDR Jerold Skaggs, CCR-3 Chief Staff Officer, and LT David B. Donaldson CCR-3 Operations Officer transfer to Guam. LCDR Edwin J. Knapp, Commander Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO transfers to San Diego. The remaining staff personnel are reassigned. The PGs homeported Guam are assigned to CCR-3 and the PGs homeported San Diego are assigned to CCD-32.

30 May 1971: USS ANTELOPE (PG-86) and USS READY (PG-87) depart Guam for Naval Shipyard, Long Beach CA; assigned to CCD-32, homeport Long Beach.

21 Jun 1971: USS CHEHALIS (PG-94), USS BEACON (PG-99), and USS GREEN BAY (PG-101) depart San Diego for Little Creek VA; assigned to Commander Amphibious Force Atlantic Fleet.

30 May 1972: LT R. J. O'Brien relieves LCDR Edwin J. Knapp as Commander Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO.

30 May 1972: Coastal Division THIRTY-TWO disestablished at San Diego. USS ANTELOPE (PG-86), USS READY (PG-87), USS DOUGLAS (PG-100), and USS GRAND RAPIDS (PG-98) assigned to Commander Coastal-River Squadron ONE and are no longer in CCR-3 administrative organization.

2 Oct 1972: CDR Richard W. Anderson relieves CDR Charles A. Dodd as Commander Coastal Squadron THREE.

21 Jun 1974: USS ASHEVILLE (PG-84), USS CROCKETT (PG-88), USS TACOMA (PG-92) and USS WELCH (PG-93) depart Guam for San Diego.

30 Jun 1972: Coastal Squadron THREE disestablished at Naval Station Guam after five years and 9 months of operations.

USS GALLUP (PG-85) & USS CANON (PG-90) remained at Guam until 3 Nov 1974 when they departed for San Diego.

Narrative and photos provided by Dave Donaldson.

Documents - The End of the Line for the Ashevilles

Patrol Division 21 in the Med with the Sixth Fleet

(PATDIV TWENTY-ONE)

{Information provided by Bruce Sharpe}

At the direction of the Chief of Naval Operations, ADM Elmo Zumwalt, planning began in July 1970 to transfer two Patrol Gunboats from the Pacific Fleet to the Mediterranean in order to augment the Sixth Fleet. The basic mission to be fulfilled by these new and largely untried ships was that of "tattletail". This mission envisioned a visual confirmation of a surface-to-surface missile launch against major units of the Sixth Fleet by a potential enemy. By being in company with the potential adversary, the PG could then immediately warn all units of the impending attack. The small size and small crew of the PG made it an extremely economical and attractive platform for this mission.

As a result of this initial planning, USS DEFIANCE (PG-95) and USS SURPRISE (PG-97) commenced their long transit to Naples, Italy in September 1970. They stopped briefly in Little Creek, Virginia and were formed into Patrol Division 21 on 15 November 1970 under LCDR Paul D. Frazer, a former CO of USS CHEHALIS (PG-94). The following day they departed to continue their forward deployment across the Atlantic and officially joined the Sixth Fleet on 2 December 1970. Operating out of Naples with the Patrol Division staff embarked on USS CASCADE (AD-16), the two ships of the division began a continuous demonstration of their capabilities and reliability. Operations took them throughout the Mediterranean from Casablanca, Morocco to Istanbul, Turkey; from Venice and Trieste, Italy to Bizerte, Tunisia. Operations included operating as "aggressor" forces against carrier battle groups and as SEAL delivery and support platforms for Special Operations. LCDR R. Richard "Rudy" Black relieved as commodore in Naples on 18 August 1972. USS GRAHAM COUNTY (AGP-1176) and the gunboats USS ANTELOPE (PG-86) and USS READY (PG-87) joined the division in September 1972 with "GRACO" becoming the flagship.

USS SURPRISE was transferred to the Turkish Navy on 28 February 1973 and renamed BORA (P-339). USS DEFIANCE would follow and was transferred to the Turkish Navy on 11 June 1973 at Izmir, Turkey and renamed TCG YILDIRIM (P-338). She would ultimately be destroyed by fire on 11 April 1985 off the Greek island of Mitelene, near Lesbos in the northeastern Aegean Sea. Patrol Division 21 continued operating as an embarked staff until the staff was disestablished on 30 June 1973 with all duties passing to LCDR Peter McCammon, CO USS GRAHAM COUNTY.

The division would be augmented by two additional gunboats on 13 August 1973 when USS GRAND RAPIDS (PG-98) under the command of LT Gordon RHEINSTROM and USS DOUGLAS (PG-100) under the command of LT Doug Smart arrived in Naples, Italy. The gunboat division would continue to operate out of Naples until 1977 when all of the ships returned to Norfolk/Little Creek. GRAHAM COUNTY would be struck from the Naval Register on 1 March and the four PGs would be decommissioned at Little Creek on 1 October 1977.

Excellent stuff guys.I've always been fascinated with these small ships.Many of them saw action in Vietnam.

High Flight

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Found my R/V ATHENA patch (ex-PG-94 USS CHEHALIS) mixed in with my research ship collection (NOAA, NAVOCEANO, etc)

Wisdom, Arts, Industry & Prudent Warfare - David Taylor Research Center

I wonder what "Prudent Warfare" signifies?

RV ATHENA 001.jpg

RV ATHENA 002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Interesting patches Salvage Sailor.I just saw a Research Vessel patch on eBay and was trying to find out some background info about it but did'nt find much.

High Flight

George Bernard Shaw

• 8 months later...