La Fiere Bridge and Manior today

Longhorn92

A look at the bridge and what was flooded marshland in '44.

To the right, generally west, is Cauquigny. To the left, east, is Sainte Mere Eglise.

post-15696-1316796277.jpg

I've visited these locations in the past, plus various others in that part of Normandy. What always struck me was how relatively insignificant some of these crossing are...small stone bridges over little streams! We read about these key battles fought for possession of them and it conjures up an image in our minds which often differs from reality.

I've visited these locations in the past, plus various others in that part of Normandy. What always struck me was how relatively insignificant some of these crossing are...small stone bridges over little streams! We read about these key battles fought for possession of them and it conjures up an image in our minds which often differs from reality.

I agree. Before I saw it, I had images of a huge bridge. Not so.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great pictures. Our Grandfather was a pathfinder with the A/505th PIR. He fought at the Manor and at the bridge. He was unfortunately killed around 0800 on 06JUN44. Here is a picture of him, he is labeled as #8 in the photo. Your LaFiere pictures really are awesome and mean alot to us. Thank you so much for posting.

5051batt8.jpg

CURRIN1.jpg

House of Stuart
Thank you for the great pictures. Our Grandfather was a pathfinder with the A/505th PIR. He fought at the Manor and at the bridge. He was unfortunately killed around 0800 on 06JUN44. Here is a picture of him, he is labeled as #8 in the photo. Your LaFiere pictures really are awesome and mean alot to us. Thank you so much for posting.

5051batt8.jpg

CURRIN1.jpg

Hi Hink, That is the "Bob Murphy" stick. He is #16 in that photo.

The Manoir itself is seperate from the two buildings shown in these pictures. The Manoir is operated as a B&B by fantastic people named Yves and Chantal Poisson. I highly recommend staying with them on future trips. The other place is also a B&B run by an American woman who is married to a Frenchman. I would NOT recommend staying there. To fully get the entire story of this location would take two full days in the area. There is much to see and learn here about the battle June 6-9.

House of Stuart
ughhh this may sound very corny but what battle was fought at the house and bridge?

This was THE main bridge on the road from Utah Beach. It is located a few miles outside of Ste. Mere Eglise and was key to the entire invasion of Normandy. It was taken and held by men of the 82nd Airborne Division. The battle consisted of members from the 505, 507, 508, 401, 325 and a few misdrops of the 101st. The Germans held the main house that was taken early in the attack. Germans were pouring in on and holding the other side of the causeway near Cauquigny. Lot's more stories to tell.

Thanks for sharing these Excellent pictures with us those photos bring back some memories to me from last June when i walked from

Ste Mere Eglise to La Fiere for the Parachute Jump as all of the roads were blocked off by French Police this year it is a Beautiful part of the

Country Side which is Steeped in a lot of History, and the owners of that B&B are very nice people also. :thumbsup:

Great stuff and thanks for sharing nice to see them again. :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

Hi Hink, That is the "Bob Murphy" stick. He is #16 in that photo.

Yes, they were both on "chalk #12". I have read Mr. Murphy's book and it is a great read. Our Grandfather is mentioned in the book. Thanks.

House of Stuart
Thanks for sharing these Excellent pictures with us those photos bring back some memories to me from last June when i walked from

Ste Mere Eglise to La Fiere for the Parachute Jump as all of the roads were blocked off by French Police this year it is a Beautiful part of the

Country Side which is Steeped in a lot of History, and the owners of that B&B are very nice people also. :thumbsup:

Great stuff and thanks for sharing nice to see them again. :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

Just to be clear, I can only recommend staying with the Poisson's at the Manor house and NOT the other B&B! The memorial to MoH-Charles Deglopper is not far from here (although it is in the wrong location) as is Timme's Orchard and the Malcolm Brannen ambush location of German General Wilhelm Falley. The bridge at Chef DuPont is close by as well as Hill 30. Like I have said, there are lots of things to see in just a small area.