WW2 rigger-modified Type A-9 flying helmet.

Sabrejet

When the US entered WW2 the USAAF’s standard summer flying helmet was the A-9. This was a close-fitting, OD gabardine helmet which had attachment hooks for the Types A-9/10 oxygen masks but no provision for communications equipment. This was soon deemed to be disadvantageous for the rapidly expanding USAAF. So, until something better was designed and produced, up-grading kits were made available. These were to be added to existing A-9s at unit level. The kit comprised of molded leather ear-cups to retain the standard R-14 receivers, soft cotton ear-muffs for comfort and to cut down on external noise and short lengths of webbing with snaps to attach the newer generation of oxygen masks.

This is an example of such a rigger-modified A-9. As they were done individually no two will be identical though example is fairly typical of the type.

post-8022-1316703299.jpgpost-8022-1316703311.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Ian,

Beautiful example! These were common in North Africa and Sicily (unless resourceful American pilots could acquire RAF Type D tropical helmets!)

I've been looking for one of these for a while. Yours is in perfect condition!

Jon

Ian,

Beautiful example! These were common in North Africa and Sicily (unless resourceful American pilots could acquire RAF Type D tropical helmets!)

I've been looking for one of these for a while. Yours is in perfect condition!

Jon

Thanks Jon. I notice that there are some examples currently listed on Bell's Aviation website. Price have crept up since I acquired mine back in the mid-90s! :w00t:

Hi Ian,

Once again you force me to learn through reading your excellent threads. Now I'm about to get into flying....... :lol:

You're too kind JS! You have your wings and related medals...right? So now what you need to do is put together a representative flight helmet head to display alongside them! ;)

Now I'm about to get into flying.

JS,

You already have the wings! The next step is the helmet!

Ian,

You have been a busy boy! These posts have been fantastic! Thanks so much for the threads.

....Kat

JS,

Ian,

You have been a busy boy! These posts have been fantastic! Thanks so much for the threads.

....Kat

Thank you Kat! Retirement = more free time to put stuff together! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
flight helmets 522
post-8022-1316703382.jpgpost-8022-1316703392.jpg

This is great. I know a fighter pilot who flew the A-36 version of the P-51 Mustang in the MTO. He told me he wore the same setup with sunglasses, instead of goggles. Later, he wore an upgraded helmet, the A-10, which was nearly identical to the AN-H-15 helmet, with sunglasses. He said goggles were uncomfortable to him and fogged up too much. Thanks for posting.

Phil.

Cobrahistorian

Kat,

Now you're encouraging others! You're just as bad as the rest of us! ;)

Jon

JS,

Ian,

....Kat

Cobrahistorian

And I just missed out on a nice modified one the other day that went for $32! I was busy and forgot to check ebay....

Well, that and the fact that I'm flat broke...

Crazy prices around these days! Ebay # 310196778065 This one isn't even wired-up! :o