Pre-1900 Jeweler made pair of collar EGA's

kanemono

I posted a pre-1900 Jeweler made cover EGA a few weeks ago. The heir's of the same estate sold my friend some other antiques including a jewelry box and the contents. In the box were a pair of jeweler made collar EGA's that exactly match the cover EGA . They make a beautiful set. The collar EGA's have or I should say, had a pin back. The pin is missing on one and the entire pin and mounting is missing on the other. That EGA has had one of the anchor flukes broken off and a not very well done repair/replacement of the anchor fluke. Here are some pictures.

Dick

post-9487-1316616705.jpg

post-9487-1316616742.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Beautiful set, pin's or no pins - happy to see they are reunited and not going to the smelting pot!

A good silversmith can fix the anchor properly.

Beautiful set, pin's or no pins - happy to see they are reunited and not going to the smelting pot!

A good silversmith can fix the anchor properly.

Thank you for the suggestion but I think I will leave them alone. Silver soldering them would destroy the patina. They have been like this a long time. What do you think Mike?

Dick

teufelhunde.ret
... Silver soldering them would destroy the patina.

Copy, understand. Let me restate "Silversmith" not a jeweler or goldsmith. You find an older guy of my generation who has been doing repairs for decades, he can make repairs you would not believe. I have two older emblems in my collection repaired by a silversmith, I would defy anyone from detecting the repairs... I know what was done and cannot detect any work having been performed... ;)

On a rare set like this, I would leave them alone. I wouldnt trust any jeweler to match the age and workmanship those pins require. The pins would have to be made, they werent your typical straight pin.

s/f,

Mike

Thank you for the advice. I intended to leave them alone. The EGA's have been like this a long time. The fluke has a period repair which is part of the history of the piece. No one will wear them so they don't need pins. I think that the only time an antique piece should have restoration done is when the piece will deteriorate without restoration. Most times restoration does much more harm than good and often drastically reduces the antiques value.

Dick