A WW2 era Navy Gold Star marked 10K gold

Tom Nier

Before WW2, there were two orders given by the Navy for gold stars. Six were ordered in 1923 from BB&B in 18K gold. 150 more were ordered in 1928 from the US Mint to be made in 21.6K or 900 fine gold. See Extract E4 on page 99 of the Gleim Medal Letters for more detail.

Some years ago Adam Rohloff obtained an unnamed Navy Air Medal with three loose gold stars, which was not an exciting find as such. What really got our attention was that at least one of them was marked "10K", and is illustrated here. This indicates that a third order for real gold stars was issued, which were made with a lower gold content than the previous stocks. This 10K stock was apparently used for multiple WW2 awards.

What should interest today's collector is the real possibility of discovering more examples of these 10K gold stars mounted and concealed in WW2 Navy decorations. An experienced eye can distinguish the bright gleam of solid gold alloy from a gilt silver or gilt bronze "gold" star. A gilt silver star often shows spots of black tarnish breaking through the gilt. The gilt on a bronze star has a dull finish compared to that on a sold gold surface.

Perhaps a few Forum members may "strike gold" in their Navy decorations??

post-7834-1316556663.jpg

Before WW2, there were two orders given by the Navy for gold stars. Six were ordered in 1923 from BB&B in 18K gold. 150 more were ordered in 1928 from the US Mint to be made in 21.6K or 900 fine gold. See Extract E4 on page 99 of the Gleim Medal Letters for more detail.

Some years ago Adam Rohloff obtained an unnamed Navy Air Medal with three loose gold stars, which was not an exciting find as such. What really got our attention was that at least one of them was marked "10K", and is illustrated here. This indicates that a third order for real gold stars was issued, which were made with a lower gold content than the previous stocks. This 10K stock was apparently used for multiple WW2 awards.

What should interest today's collector is the real possibility of discovering more examples of these 10K gold stars mounted and concealed in WW2 Navy decorations. An experienced eye can distinguish the bright gleam of solid gold alloy from a gilt silver or gilt bronze "gold" star. A gilt silver star often shows spots of black tarnish breaking through the gilt. The gilt on a bronze star has a dull finish compared to that on a sold gold surface.

Perhaps a few Forum members may "strike gold" in their Navy decorations??

Wow, thanks for that bit of history Tom! :twothumbup:

As Dave said mine came with a cased Navy Cross. I picked it up off of Ebay back in the good old days and it was not even mentioned in the auction, I just happened to notice it when the item arrived. :w00t: The odd shape to mine is what I noticed.

Any reason noted by Gleim why they ordered so few and then just threw them on such things as an Air Medal? :think: You would think they would have been for something special? :dunno: I need to get a copy of the Gleim letters, he did some GREAT work!

With gold so high right now I am going to send mine in to be melted down with some other scrap. This little guy should be worth at least $20 now! :think: :blink:

Just kidding.......I think even God would strike me down for such sacrilege! :lol2:

One other thing I noticed is that the gold scroll work on the case that particular Navy Cross came in is unlike any other I have seen, coincidence it had a GOLD star? :dunno: You can compare it to the Medal of Freedom case in the photo with the 10K gold palm from my “Gold Device” thread. :think:

Here are the photos from that thread, the one Dave added the link for (Thanks Dave). :thumbsup:

post-15093-1316616958.jpg

post-15093-1316616967.jpg

Dave:

The Navy needed very few gold stars before WW2. Mostly for multiple Navy Cross awards to some Marines in Nicaragua, the divers & crew working the USS Squalus rescue, etc. Once WW2 broke out, the need for gold stars increased greatly. In the preoccupation with getting so many awards out to their recipients, it is believed the residual stock of pre-war real gold stars simply got mixed in with the new wartime stocks of gilt silver & gilt bronze stars. Navy supply clerks either weren't aware of the real gold stars, or just didn't care about keeping them separate.

That's the best I can come up with.

• 10 years later...