Israeli bandage expiration date

hawkdriver

If you have ever dealt with the Israeli bandage, you will know that it has an expiration date, why? Well, I decided to investigate the reason behind it. For those of you that have never opened one of these, they have a single tail that uses a plastic arch to cinch the bandage down.

xf2bg9.jpg

So, why the expiration? Is it because of the mythical blood clot agent? Nope, here is a pic of the wound pad cut open, nothing but cotton.

jkg2dd.jpg

After a little digging, turns out that the expiration date on the package is the date which the company can no longer guarantee a steril product. So, with that being the case, as long as the package is still shrink wrapped, it is still sealed and the expiration is not in effect.

We use these bandages in our survival kits and were throwing them away when the expirations were coming up. After this research, we now do an inspection and extend the life if they are still sealed.

I've had to practice using those many times, but never even noticed the expiration. On another note, we were always told to use the term "compression bandage." Apparently, if we were ever to use them on any indigenous people in-theater that were anti-semitic (I guess that would be the proper term), they would refuse it and prefer to bleed out. At least that's what the vets told us.

In any case, thanks for the info on this!

G