1950's USMC marked gear

Marchville1918

Marchville1918

I have noticed several items of web gear marked USMC from the early 50's: ammo belts, canteen covers, 1941 packs, both Mitchell and plain OD shelter halves and m43 etool covers. Most of what I have seen is dated 52, 53 or 55. I assume that all of this was to replace the WW11 gear that was being used up in Korea. I am wondering if anyone has any info as to the numbers of these items that the various contracts called for and thus the relative rarity of the items so marked. The belts, packs and Mitchell shelter halves seem to be pretty common, but the other items less so.

USMC marked canteen covers were only made in 1952 by Collette MFG CO. They are fairly easy to find. I have about 12 of them. The USMC marked m41 shovel cover is pretty hard. I've only seen 5 of them. I have 2 in my collection. They were made in 1952 & 53 and were made by A Rief and Co

combat-helmets

I actively seek this gear because it is becoming less common. As Justin mentions,those M43 USMC marked shovel covers are pretty hard to find. A good rule of thumb is that anything "USMC"marked is collectible as either they were all used up or made in small quantities when compared to Army gear...

• 2 years later...
airborne1968

What about the green shelter half with USMC stamp on it? I just found one with a 1952 date but didn't even know they existed.

What about the green shelter half with USMC stamp on it? I just found one with a 1952 date but didn't even know they existed.

Those are pretty hard to find. In my opinion they are harder to find than the Mitchell Camo ones, but when they pop up for sale always seem to sell for much less. Go figure!

J

combat-helmets

I have 4 complete sets of USMC OD marked shelter halves. 2 M43 marked shovel covers and at least 3 canteen covers.

I always look for this gear as it's on the rare side of things when looking for USMC collectibles..