WWII parachute manufacturer's storage bag??

ken88

Hi,

I just purchased this parachute.

It's a 1944 AN Irving parachute serial No. 42-487803.

All good and well, but does anyone know what the bag is for? It looks like a bag that is used to pack the parachute if it's not being used, but the suspenders are still attached to it.

Some 5 lines were cut, I don't know why. The bag shows some wear though... But it's definitely too small (in proportion) to be a cargo pack.

I was thinking that it was never used and thus still with its production storage bag attached to it but I'd like to know for sure. Any opinions/knowledge?

Thanks!

012.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

The canopy is not missing parts so that's a good thing :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Some 5 lines were cut, I don't know why.

I do not know as well in given case of your chute, but FYI cutting off parachute cords and selling them was typical US Army's practice in the ETO immediately after WWII. All European Flying Clubs bought then those cords. From that period I remember big bag of US parachute cords at my home, a part of them I have up to this time.

And the same goes for parachute bags. The US Army sold them separately or delivered free of charge to the UNRRA.

Thanks for your reply Gregory!

Quite a bummer that 5 cords are missing actually, perhaps they needed them for something else indeed.

About the material: did a few test on it and it appears to be real silk. Aren't all wwII parachutes supposed to be silk? Well that's what I've always heard..

I can imagine a Japanese embargo of silk. Weren't there any other silk exporting countries? Or perhaps the army just had massive amounts of silk in stock to produce the canopies?

Anyway, it's the type of silk that's also used to make wedding dresses, etc. It's too smooth to be nylon. A bit like the skin of a baby really.

The outer side of the bag also has one D-ring and a lobster claw.

Hello Ken,

About the material: did a few test on it and it appears to be real silk.

OK, it may be one of the last production runs of chutes made of Japanese silk bought by the USA before Pearl Harbor, i.e. before silk embargo.

Aren't all WWII parachutes supposed to be silk? Well that's what I've always heard.

No, it is mental silk mania! This is awful myth created permanently by ignorants for whom each parachute in the world must be round and made of "silk" only. The "silk" is an empty slogan. Before and during WWII European parachutes were made of silk, rayon and percale. In the same period in the USA various cotton materials were used for parachutes, next rayon and next silk only, next nylon, but rayon had its come back during WWII (due to silk embargo) for cargo chutes. The Du Pont was a leader of nylon fiber, whereas the American Viscose Corporation was a leader of rayon fiber for parachute canopies.

I can imagine a Japanese embargo of silk.

One parachute (for man) required 11.7lb of silk. All US pre-Pearl Harbor era parachutes made of silk were manufactured in a hundred percent of Japanese silk. On December 7th, 1941, the USA was cut off from this source of silk. The Chinese silk was not used during WWII by the US parachute industry.

Weren't there any other silk exporting countries? Or perhaps the army just had massive amounts of silk in stock to produce the canopies?

China was manufacturer of silk as well but the US-Chinese economic relations were not as good and intensive as with Japan and there was lack of silk agreement between USA and China. Yes, of course, by the force of inertia the last silk chutes were manufactured in the USA also in 1942. When all stocks of silk finished the industry set up their manufacturing lines into nylon. One troop-type canopy required as many nylon as needed for approx. 500 pairs of stockings. The ladies had to wait for the end of war.

Anyway, it's the type of silk that's also used to make wedding dresses, etc. It's too smooth to be nylon. A bit like the skin of a baby really.

Did you do a burning test? I have always tested my canopies with fire, a few sq mm are enough to check what canopy is made of.

Best regards

Greg

northcoastaero

The book The Parachute Manual (Vol. 1 not Vol. 2) by Dan Poynter should have information on what type of application the parachute was used with. The

book may also have information about the bag. The Parachute Manual can be purchased at parapub.com for about $50.00 plus shipping. It has a wealth

of information and part numbers.

Thanks for your replies:

northcoastaero, it's a 24ft chute indeed. No anchor print anywhere. I was thinking USAAF too.

I'll definitely see if I can get a copy of that book..

Gregory, I did a little burn test with a very very small thread. It smells a bit like hair.

The material turns warm when I rub it between my hands, should also indicate silk.

+ it makes a noise like walking in snow when you rub it.

It's definitely not rayon or percale. Thanks for the little treasure of information there!

I'll see if I can find some more information about the Japanese silk embargo. I'll try to find some other 1944 Irving canopies to compare.