"BIG RED ONE"

sgtbarnes44

It was found in a small hamlet between Periers and Marigny. It has stand 63 years upside down in an attic and the interior is incrusted with dirt. The liner leather chinstrap is "frozen" in place. I will just dedust it with a soft brush and will exhibit it as it is. No rag, no water, nothing for that veteran which deserve more a stand in a museum than in my display...

post-647-1195290077.jpg

Wonderfull attic find, this liner thumbsup.gif

When I was at the BR1 Assault Museum at Colleville this summer they had a sheet with all the variations of the BR1 Decal as applied to liners and shells. Very interesting relic from a veteran division!

And in good shape too :blink:

Best regards

Carl

Fabulous find! These are the things that keep you searching for more because you just know there is more out there to be found!

Very nice, an original marked 1st Division helmet or liner is my main goal in helmets. Still waiting to find mine though :(

Congradulations on the find.

Hi Sarge! So you are the "happy winner" of this fantastic barn relic! that's a great 1st div helmet liner you have . They are realy becoming harder to find today. I like very much the dirt on the rayon webbing. A friend of mine found a 29er two years ago and it was quite the same as this one.

Thanks for sharing, Yannick

If you wish try coating that chinstrap in Blackrock leather treatment. I used to collect civil war equipment and I was able to get the toughest leather to move some. Give it a treatment, wait a week, than repeat, repeat, repeat. I've used Blackrock on some tough WWII period leather too with awesome results. With some patience that strap will start moving a bit and you can get it over the rim of that liner. It sounds like you want to leave the liner alone as much as possible.

Awesome find. Love the BR1.